PDA

View Full Version : oil everywere?

A18A
01-11-2006, 06:03 PM
what would cause oil to splatter all over the bonnet and engine bay? i noticed it the otha morning when i went to charge the battery. i dunno if that was there when i got the car or afterwards, i have just noticed alot of blue and a bit of black smoke comes outta the exhaust, what causes that? the good thing is that it made the engine look shiny :D but still a problem

HondaBoy
01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
it could possibley be the valve cover gasket, which is very easy to replace. do you notice oil leaked down the front of the engine, like on the exhaust manifold? as for the exhaust smoking, it could be you need to run the car a bit. like start it up for a bit every day. my datsun did that really bad when i left it sitting. what causes exhaust to smoke of oil is oil leaking past the valve guides. if running the engine doesn fix it, then you'd need to replace them sometime. those are fairly easy to replace, you dont even have to take the cylinder head off. but you do need to know what your doing when putting the parts back together because you need to adjust the valves just right and make sure not to over torque things.

A18A
01-11-2006, 06:29 PM
nah there wasnt any oil on the manifold, just splatered over the head and on the left of the engine (looking from the front) and theres a patch of oil on the bonnet which seems like the oil shot outta the oil cap onto the bonnet for some unknown reason :S oh and i dont have those flash tools like them ones that tell u how much nm u just done or w/e :(

accordlxi2.0
01-14-2006, 05:18 PM
the black and blue could be a mixture of oil and running rich...

clark_486
04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
clean around the valve cover gasket (carefully) and see if you can see fresh oil

2ndGenGuy
04-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Could be a clogged PCV system. If your crankcase can't vent, it will vent out your seals, and usually bring a whole lot of oil with it. Ask me how I know.

lostforawhile
04-25-2008, 09:34 PM
this sounds like presurized oil, check the seal under the oil filter housing could be spraying on the axles and getting slung everywhere

A18A
04-25-2008, 09:38 PM
well this thread is 3 cars old so it don't need fixing anymore :)

AccordB20A
04-25-2008, 11:25 PM
lol hahahahaha. i had the same problem. tuned out my power steer hose was in the pulley and it wore ahole in it and decided to flick it all over my engine bay

2oodoor
04-26-2008, 04:20 AM
well this thread is 3 cars old so it don't need fixing anymore :)

I was going to say the owner needs fixing, but I thought about it and it probably was 3 cars ago (three years ago) LOL
Lost, have you ever revved your four banger with the oil cap off and look down into the hole, it is pretty pressurized.. snicker snicker
I see this a lot on air conditioned cars where there is a leak too.

w261w261
04-26-2008, 04:48 AM
Then there was the time I left the oil filler cap off my 462ci Lincoln, thoughtfully closing the hood and pinning it to the top of the motor so it couldn't go anywhere (and also putting a nice little up-dent in the sheet metal). I drove around long enough so that the monster engine could really smoke up the voluminous quantity of oil that had blown out of the fill opening. It coated the entire hood, engine, wires, etc etc. The car stank for a long time. I was chagrined, but not as bad as the time I drove off from the gas pump without taking the nozzle out of the tank. Now *that* was just plain embarrassing.

2oodoor
04-26-2008, 04:54 AM
lol, don't feel bad W261, I didn't do this but I have seen weedeater gas mix(clear blue jug, blue liquid) put in windshield washer reservior.. can you imagine the mess on the windshield and the surprize to the driver when they flick a cig at the redlight? this one didn't make it that far btw.
Also putting PS fluid in the brake reservior.. big mess.

lostforawhile
04-26-2008, 07:04 AM
I was going to say the owner needs fixing, but I thought about it and it probably was 3 cars ago (three years ago) LOL
Lost, have you ever revved your four banger with the oil cap off and look down into the hole, it is pretty pressurized.. snicker snicker
I see this a lot on air conditioned cars where there is a leak too.well cah did this recently with the valve cover off, didn't think it would shoot oil everywhere got plenty of oil on him

w261w261
04-26-2008, 09:27 AM
lol, don't feel bad W261, I didn't do this but I have seen weedeater gas mix(clear blue jug, blue liquid) put in windshield washer reservior.. can you imagine the mess on the windshield and the surprize to the driver when they flick a cig at the redlight? this one didn't make it that far btw.
Also putting PS fluid in the brake reservior.. big mess.

I was going home from college in '66 (700 mi from New Orleans to Sarasota), and needed to top off the brake fluid in my '57 Dodge. The Green monster had recently been massaged by a garbage truck whilst parked at a restaurant, which crunched badly the left rear tail and pushed the left front into a telephone pole, so I was basically taking it home to die. Good thing, as the gas station I went to was busy, and the only brake fluid they sold was in a big drum with a pump, which civilians were not allowed to touch. I waited around for maybe 15 or 20 minutes, and then spotted a can on the garage floor....a can of....ATF. My brain went into some kind of paralysis at that point, and I blithely filled up the brake reservoir with the ATF. That night, just as I was falling asleep, I sat bolt upright with a HOLY SHIT moment.

The next day, I set out for Florida. The closer to home I got, the spongier the brakes became. I had visions of swelling, bursting lines, but I made it home, barely. The car hit the crusher, and I got into a 1 year old '65 Chevy Impala convertible, Daytona Blue, one of many cars I wish I still had.