PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump question.

pmpddytim
01-12-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm loosing power steering fluid. At first I thought it was oil but my oil level has been constant. So I marked the level of my PSF with a sharpie on the resevoir and it keeps going down little by little. I put my hand under the power steering pump and noticed that one place is slick with fluid. And the puddle that the car leaves is almost directly under the power steering pump.

My question is this. How do I tell if I need a new pump or just a gasket kit?

1987 Accord 2bbl, DX, hatchback

-Tim

racerx
01-13-2006, 02:31 AM
I would wager that 90% of the time, it's just a gasket. However, prolonged use without proper fluids can lead to pump deterioration.

I replaced one that had been without fluid for months, and the pulley had some serious drag. Replacing the pump freed up the engine a lot. The old pulley could not be spun at all. You really had to securely hold the pump and put some elbow grease to get the pulley moving.

The gasket that usually leaks is right behind the pulley wheel.

I would recommend you take the belt off, and if the wheel spins freely, just get a gasket kit. If not, I'd just go ahead with another pump. You should definately be able to find a good pump in a junk yard for $15 or so. 3rd gen accords are everywhere in junk yards, or at least here they are.