PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak from intake manifold

cardoc33
01-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Ok everbody, it looks like I sprung a leak from between the intake manifold halves. I have never seen this before. Has anyone run into this?

HondaBoy
01-12-2006, 12:32 PM
well there are coolant passages going into the intake manifold. it could be that the gasket around the passage between the head and manifold is deteriorated and leaking. its fairly easy to replace. if you could take some pictures of that it would help determine if that was the cause because i'm more or less making a guess from what you've said. there is a coolant hose under the intake manifold though, you might want to check and see if that's leaking or something. i always try to look at everything around the area i think is leaking because its sometimes been something else.

cardoc33
01-12-2006, 12:45 PM
I replaced all the hoses not to long ago. And it's not coming from the manifold to head gasket. Fresh coolant tracks from what looks like between the upper and lower manifold halves.
I wasn't even aware that there were two halves to the manifold. The car started leaking last night and then this morn, it started to surge at idle like the Idle Control valve went bad, you know, 2000-1000-2000-1000 rpm.
Crap.
I don't have the time.

HondaBoy
01-12-2006, 01:09 PM
yeah its a dual stage manifold. didnt know it was leaking from between the two halves. i didnt find anything at orielly auto parts that was a replacement gasket, so its most likely a dealership ordered gasket that'll need to be replaced. looks like you'd need two #14's and one #11. but the intake gasket can be easily found a lot cheaper at a parts store. they usually have those in stock.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=INTAKE+MANIFOLD+%28PGM-FI%29+%28%2788-%2789%29
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se00_d0902.gif

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Perhaps if you did the throttle body coolant bypass (connect the coolant lines together instead of to the throttle body) you could stop the leak? I think the throttle body coolant feed lines are the only way coolant gets to that area. Just my $.02

cardoc33
01-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Perhaps if you did the throttle body coolant bypass (connect the coolant lines together instead of to the throttle body) you could stop the leak? I think the throttle body coolant feed lines are the only way coolant gets to that area. Just my $.02

Excellent Idea.
I just looked and their appears to be two seperate feeds to the manifold, one from the idle valve to the TB, and one from near the stat.
Thanks, everyone, for your help. I will post to let you know how it turns out.