PDA

View Full Version : location of ?

FORFREE
01-12-2006, 04:18 PM
my car has been hot lately and i think my thermostat might be bad. But i can't seem to find it. Do any of u know where it is on a 89 honda accord lx (carb)?

bobafett
01-12-2006, 04:24 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=13803&highlight=thermostat+location

i dont know EXACTLY where to look on carbed accord, but that should help out.

Immeraufdemhund
01-14-2006, 09:37 AM
preaty much all cars (except those with the thermostat in the radiator cap) have it attached to the upper radiator hose...and so far all the honda's i've worked on this has been true. Always follow that, and you'll usually always find it.

even though our cars have seals instead of gaskets sometimes it helps to have the gasket and follow the upper hose and see if hte bolt pattern is the same on the gasket.. that should help you.

Soundy
01-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Seconded, just follow the upper radiator hose - one end attaches to the radiator, the other to the thermostat housing. Should be two bolts holding it on; if it's the same as my 87 you may have trouble getting at one past the distributor.

visionguru
01-14-2006, 01:21 PM
my car has been hot lately and i think my thermostat might be bad. But i can't seem to find it. Do any of u know where it is on a 89 honda accord lx (carb)?
Take a look at Honda service manual first, then you don't have to look around for it. It's located right behind the distributor, IIRC.

HondaBoy
01-14-2006, 01:34 PM
if you want to find it easily, top radiator hose. it goes over to the cylinder head and the thing its connected to is the thermostat housing bolted on with 2 bolts. you will want to get a new gasket, just ask for it when you buy the thermostat. when buying a T-stat, DO NOT BUY the one called a Fail Safe. those always get stuck open when i've used them and other members can tell you the same. just get an OEM type. also, dont over tighten the bolts on the T-stat housing. tighten it down good, but dont over do it. oh also, you will need to add coolant to the system because a bunch will leak out when you've unbolted the T-stat housing. you also bleed the air out as you refill the coolant. this is all very easy to do. i'd also recommend buying a Haynes manual for your car. you can read through it easily and do a lot more things yourself be following all instructions.

Soundy
01-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Service manual isn't always clear in its illustrations, depending on which one you're looking at (Helms, Haynes, etc.). The one I've got shows the 'stat and housing clearly, but the location of the whole assembly isn't very well depicted: it shows the vacuum solenoid and valve cover that are right by it, but doesn't actually indicate that that's what those things are; it doesn't give any context for the location.

Fortunately this is one thing that's changed very little since water-cooled engines were invented: on the vast majority of vehicles, you'll find the themostat housing at the back end of the top radiator hose :)

Immeraufdemhund
01-14-2006, 06:26 PM
well i just found out i'm not entirely correct with it always being on the upper radiator hose. In the case of a f22, h22, h23..and i think all the other motors related to those.. it's on the lower radiator hose....

i do know for sure though that your thermostat is next to the dizzy on the firewall side. 2 10mm bolts and a smoke wrench..you'll get it all done.