PDA

View Full Version : Mo' problems on Friday the 13th than Mariah's Psych

Willmeister1
01-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Aite, this is like a grocery list. Let's see what we can do.
1987 Honda Accord LX, the Carbureted automatic POS edition, 289,800.

:wtf:

1. Engine reved up and down by about 300 rpms when stopped.
2. Car had strong gas smell (No I did not top off)
3. Now car will randomly rev at 3,000 rpms if I am in neutral and if I shift to drive, obviously, the car jerks like its getting a bad handjob.
4. Battery Light just came on.
5. Power is so low that the stereo wont work.
6. Car started like ass the last time, meaning sputtered and then finally started after I raped it.
7. My right front axle has a high pitched squeak, squeak, squeak to it.
8. It's Friday the 13th.
9. The turn signal/light switch turns the lights off or on when signaling, unless you hold the switch to on while hitting it, in which case it clicks like it wants to turn it off but can't.
10. The fog lights turning on due to #9 have caused my battery to die multiple times when lending it to others who are less attentive to the lights.

:violin:

Time for a new car?

B16KILLA
01-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Ya, you could get a new car a take the easy way out, but it sounds to me like she just needs a lil love (money).

HondaBoy
01-13-2006, 06:43 PM
i could probley fix those problems by a trip to the junk yard. maybe a vacuum line is busted, or the carb could need a rebuild. mine did when it smelled like gasoline. that was pretty easy. now as for the light problems, i believe that happened to me, but i dont exactly remember what it was though. i think in my case, i'd turn the lights on and as i'd step on the brake it would turn off the running lights. it was something to do with a bulb. i think it was needing replacement or needed the socket cleaned. hopefully no more bad luck happens.

voiceinurhead05
01-13-2006, 09:14 PM
"1. Engine reved up and down by about 300 rpms when stopped."

This effect is known as "dieseling". It happens when the ignition is off, but there's still combustion in the cylinders due to excess gas, low compression, poor timing, or all of the above. This will also happen if you try to shut your engine off while the fast idle valve is open.

"2. Car had strong gas smell (No I did not top off)"

Fuel mixture might be too rich, or there may be a leak in your fuel system

"3. Now car will randomly rev at 3,000 rpms if I am in neutral and if I shift to drive, obviously, the car jerks like its getting a bad handjob.
4. Battery Light just came on.
5. Power is so low that the stereo wont work.
6. Car started like ass the last time, meaning sputtered and then finally started after I raped it."

All of this happened right before my alternator burned out. A bad alternator causes the battery light to come on, the fast idle valve to open randomly, I didn't lose my stereo, but my horn stopped working. Time for a new alternator

"7. My right front axle has a high pitched squeak, squeak, squeak to it."

Brake pads rubbing against the rotors, or a bad wheel bearing.

"8. It's Friday the 13th."

Ehhh..... that doesnt mean shit to me.

"9. The turn signal/light switch turns the lights off or on when signaling, unless you hold the switch to on while hitting it, in which case it clicks like it wants to turn it off but can't."

Turn signal relay fuse, I think that's in the fuse box under the hood

"10. The fog lights turning on due to #9 have caused my battery to die multiple times when lending it to others who are less attentive to the lights."

Your battery probably keeps dying because your alternator is fried.

So to review, you will need:
1. Possible carb/fuel system work
2. New alternator
3. Possible brake work (or)
4. Possible wheel bearing replacement
5. a turn signal relay fuse
6. A reality check on the old friday the 13th superstition

Blkblurr
01-14-2006, 08:15 AM
You can fix the Friday the 13th thing by waiting a day!

Willmeister1
01-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the tip. BTW, after the 13th (today) the alternator weird problems stopped, meaning less revving, stereo works and battery light stayed off, though I'll probably check out the alternator anyway. As for the carb problems, that's what I figured, and I'm not comfortable rebuilding a carb myself so hopefully that won't kill me. Same for the wheel.

Thanks again.

Willie

AccordEpicenter
01-15-2006, 12:28 PM
you need a better beater