PDA

View Full Version : Tranny

FORFREE
01-13-2006, 07:20 PM
i have a 1989 honda accord lx (carb) i was woundring if there was a transmission pan? and if so where is it?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
No, there is no transmission pan. Neither manual nor automatic transmissions have them. Automatic transmission filter is inside the transmission and can only be replaced through disassembly of transmission.

FORFREE
01-14-2006, 10:17 AM
how hard it the filter to change?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-14-2006, 11:51 AM
You would need to remove the transmission and disassemble it to replace the filter. The filter is basically a screen inside the transmission and is not meant to be serviced on a regular basis. Chaging it is a labor-intensive task.

86-accord-lxi
01-15-2006, 11:58 PM
The filter in the automagics are underneath the valve body inside the transmission. Like 89accordlx(rus) said, labor intensive !
My automagic in my 86 lxi would not shift from 1st to 2nd due to
a needle bearing breaking, which in turn damaged 2nd and 4th clutch friction disks, which in turn damaged 2nd and 4th clutch packs (recall on 86-87 auto's) Anyway, I went to pull a part, found a suitable, low mileage
89 accord (because honda had corrected the problem in the f4 automatic
transmissions in 88 and 89 ) With clean good smelling fluid (not burned)
Pulled that sucker, Got it for $65, dropped it in, flushed it by filling
and draining with honda A.T.F Z-1 about 3 times, did the final fill,
and wolla !!!! She runs like new ! I was thinking about rebuilding the old myself, I even bought a master rebuild kit, but after reading the rebuild manual, I am not even going to pull that tranny apart ! If you , or anyone
else on the board would like to have the rebuild kit, and manual I will
gladly sell them.