PDA

View Full Version : What is this yellow wire? (pics)

Shadowkat
01-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Just finished a motor swap and auto to manual tranny swap, but there's this yellow wire that got disconnected during the swap and i don't know where it goes. The wire comes into the engine bay out of the firewall by the driver's side behind the air cleaner housing here:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/shadowkat1/YellowWire-firewall-circled.jpg

then it follows the firewall to the passenger side corner, then comes forward and ends near the fusebox/battery area here:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/shadowkat1/DSCN0359.jpg

any ideas as to what this wire is and where it should go would be helpful.

TIA for any help you can give.

maxcrx
01-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Shadowkat, have you tried to trace the wire from under the carpet from the driver side. I know that there shouldn't be any wire that run through it unless you have an alarm or running a amp to the radio etc...

That hole is where I run my amps through, before that it was covered by a black plug. I think that a yellow wire means either it is an ignition component or power source which was supposed to be red.

Immeraufdemhund
01-14-2006, 06:28 PM
well it's not stock cause of hte crimped end.. so i'd imagine it's for something ETish on the car.

Bglad420
01-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Thats not a stock wire, some one put that there for a stereo, or alarm or some jerry rigged thing.............

Shadowkat
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
well, my family has owned the car since it was new, and there hasn't been anything jury rigged up, no alarm or stereo or anything. Don't be fooled by the crimpped end, that was done when we were taking the old engine out and got that wire caught, so it crimpped like that.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-14-2006, 08:20 PM
As noted before, lift up the carpet inside and trace the wire. That's really the only way of knowing where it goes. It can almost be guaranteed that it is not stock though. Are you sure no extra options were installed on the car by the dealer? Fog lights perhaps? Just my $.02

P.S.: Factory wiring is almost never one solid color...another indication that what you are looking at is probably not stock.

Bglad420
01-14-2006, 08:27 PM
BTW that end on that wire aint stock........trust me honda doesn't use those on their cars....If they do they are black, I think thats a power wire......Just trace it and find out where it goes....

88Accord-DX
01-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Follow a wiring schematic to be sure. That crimped wire doesn't look something that is OEM.

88Accord-DX
01-14-2006, 08:40 PM
:gun: Stupid double post.

lostforawhile
01-14-2006, 08:46 PM
thats the plug right next to the cruise cable right? that should be a blank plug,honda doesn't run a wire through the middle of a plastic plug. if it was factory it would have a grommet or something in that hole. that plastic plug just has a hole right through the middle of it. thats not factory. I've never seen a factory honda wire that looked like that.

A20A1
01-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Isn't yellow "On with Ignition"
Or is that yellow with black stripe?

mkymonkey
01-14-2006, 09:32 PM
how about this..... connect it to your battery and see if anything turns on, explodes, or burns....then it will tell you what its for lol

Shadowkat
01-14-2006, 11:12 PM
how about this..... connect it to your battery and see if anything turns on, explodes, or burns....then it will tell you what its for lol

That sounds like a brilliant idea! :gun: <----- that's me shooting the idea down, lol

Shadowkat
01-14-2006, 11:17 PM
well, I don't think the dealer instaled anything extra other than an armrest. I suppose some mechanic that worked on the car found it necessary to run an extra wire from somewhere, but it seems unlikely, considering my dad, the buyer and driver of this car until a few years ago, doesn't remember anything like that. I'll just try and trace it like some of you guys suggested, I'll post if I find anything.
On a different note, my horn doesn't work, and I don't understand the difference between clutch pedal free play and disengagement height(having never owned/worked on a manual until now, the manual's instructions are confusing me) yes i have searched on this subject, and yes i have found some info, nothing quite like I need yet, but i'm not done searching yet, but i figured since i had to start this thread anyways, i might as well use it.

Shadowkat
01-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Okay well I just checked it out in the garage, and I believe the wire comes in behind the radio then over to the drivers side where it connects via wire connector(not factory for sure) to a red wire that in fact as others have mentioned goes under the carpet to the left corner of the car by the pedals. At this point it appears to have some sort of connector that connects with a wireing harness all the way in the front left bottom corner of the cabin, this, sa others have mentioned, does not look factory. The wire connector looks to be spliced into the harness then tapped over(but well done, like by a mechanic). So basically it's back to square one. My dad insists he knows nothing about it, and I'm stumped. so basically :wtf: I'll get a pic up of where it connects in a few minutes. So if anyone know what this wire is doing, please help solve the mystery.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-15-2006, 05:27 AM
well, I don't think the dealer instaled anything extra other than an armrest. I suppose some mechanic that worked on the car found it necessary to run an extra wire from somewhere, but it seems unlikely, considering my dad, the buyer and driver of this car until a few years ago, doesn't remember anything like that. I'll just try and trace it like some of you guys suggested, I'll post if I find anything.
On a different note, my horn doesn't work, and I don't understand the difference between clutch pedal free play and disengagement height(having never owned/worked on a manual until now, the manual's instructions are confusing me) yes i have searched on this subject, and yes i have found some info, nothing quite like I need yet, but i'm not done searching yet, but i figured since i had to start this thread anyways, i might as well use it.

Clutch freeplay is how much the pedal can travel before the cable becomes taught and you start feeling resistance(arm on transmission begins to move). Disengagement height is the height at which the clutch disengages and this is usually half way in the pedal traveling distance. Depending on clutch condition, this can deviate a bit. The harness in the lower front corner has many systems including door locks, rear lights, etc. If you can post a wire color that your non-factory wire is spliced to, we may be able to tell you what it is related to. I can't think of anything that would require such wiring though. By the sound of it, it isn't a solid wiring job either. Just my $.02

Shadowkat
01-15-2006, 10:59 AM
well i can't really say what color it is, because it's inside a black cable. pics will b posted shortly

Shadowkat
01-15-2006, 11:06 AM
okay, after the yellow wire comes into the cabin behind the readio and over to the driver's side it connects to a red wire like this:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/shadowkat1/MysteryWireconnector.jpg

Then, the red wire goes under the carpet and splices into this wire bundle here:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/shadowkat1/MysteryWiresplice.jpg

I believe this wire bundle is the same as this coiled wire. What the hell is this coiled wire?!!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/shadowkat1/MysteryWirecoil.jpg

This is quite a mystery so any halp would be appreciated. And thanks for the info about clutch pedals.

lostforawhile
01-15-2006, 11:29 AM
ok now i'm interested,you say nothing has ever been added to the car,are you sure? because i'm sure that coiled wire isn't factory eithier,what does it conect to? honda never puts extra wire in the cars,this must have gone to an amp or fog lights or something. you said your parents bought this car new? new from somebody else or new from the dealer. it almost looks like alarm wiring or stereo wiring. honda doesn't heat shrink eithier and what the yellow cut wire in the one picture? from where you said it came from the fuse box i'm almost certain thats for an old alarm,it probably fed power from the fuse box to the alarm harness which what you are looking at. i've worked on wiring in more hondas then i can count,and it's def not factory. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/shadowkat1/MysteryWiresplice.jpg

Deadhead
01-15-2006, 11:52 AM
wow, that's a lot of coiled wire..... but why is it coiled? you'd think that if wire was run, that they would not leave a coil where you would bulge up the carpet....

that's odd... good luck, but you may already be wired for an alarm, which is a plus :D

that gauge of wire looks too small to be for a stereo.... then again, i've got some thick ass cable for my system (4 gauge).

Shadowkat
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Does the car run?
Are there any CELs?
Any optional equipment not working?

Yes/No/No? Yank the fucker out and forget it.

Yes the car runs
What's a CEL
the horn and the cruise control don't work

newaccorddriver
01-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Yes the car runs
What's a CEL
the horn and the cruise control don't work

was the horn working before you did the swap? and worry about the cruise control later.

but like cke said, if it runs fine without codes, yank that fucker out

Bglad420
01-15-2006, 05:31 PM
That looks like wireing for an aftermarket cruise control setup, or an alarm, Or mabey even fog lights????

lostforawhile
01-15-2006, 06:54 PM
we may have solved the mystery,as they say in england,it's for the telly. I think

Shadowkat
01-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Yep, I think the mystery is solved, and it's all thanks to you lostforawhile for helping me, and my dad for suggesting that the wire could be for this old school car phone we have. I have yet to try using the wire to make that phone work in order to solve the mystery once and for all, but I'm 99.7% sure that the wires are all for the phone. Thanks to all who puttheir 2 cents in.

Bglad420
01-15-2006, 10:11 PM
And you said there was never anything installed in your car?!?!?!?

mkymonkey
01-16-2006, 12:27 AM
hahahahahahahahah

Shadowkat
01-16-2006, 07:49 AM
And you said there was never anything installed in your car?!?!?!?
I know I know, I'm sorry, I wasn't even thinking about he phone. I was thinking alarm, or cruise control, or stereo like everyone had suggested, and the phone has just been sitting there for so long I had forgotten about it. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for all the help.

Bglad420
01-16-2006, 01:29 PM
anytime n00b

lostforawhile
01-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Auuugh you've been Noobed by someone,:) hehe glad to help ya out anytime,I think it's more like 1 cent i put in,don't usually have enough for two. :) :)

mkymonkey
01-16-2006, 07:41 PM
youre broke too huh??? ^^^

lostforawhile
01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
well usually,but in this case i don't have enough commen sense sometimes to put in my two cents worth lol In theatres now the new horror movie:MYACCORD ATE MY WALLET!!

mkymonkey
01-16-2006, 09:11 PM
haha i hear that

Shadowkat
01-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Amen to that, I had no idea when I started this engine/5 speed swap that it was going to become a bottomless money pit. Like just yesterday I found out that my passenger side carpet was soaked with coolant! YES I GET TO SPEND MORE MONEY AND TIME REPLACING MY HEATER CORE!!!!!!!!! grumblegrumblegrumble

lostforawhile
01-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Amen to that, I had no idea when I started this engine/5 speed swap that it was going to become a bottomless money pit. Like just yesterday I found out that my passenger side carpet was soaked with coolant! YES I GET TO SPEND MORE MONEY AND TIME REPLACING MY HEATER CORE!!!!!!!!! grumblegrumblegrumbleoh boy are you in for a fun time!! you know people on the site will help you if you need a question answered,I reccomend a very large bottle of asprin.
if it doesn't cure your headache you can throw them at the car one at a time. :)

Shadowkat
01-17-2006, 06:08 PM
oh boy are you in for a fun time!! you know people on the site will help you if you need a question answered,I reccomend a very large bottle of asprin.
if it doesn't cure your headache you can throw them at the car one at a time. :)

hahahaha. You know, I think that would help with the headache, but unfortunatly not the heater core issue. If you would like to offer assistance with that issue, please see my other thread
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=49336