PDA

View Full Version : No, it can't be that stupid!

Sabz5150
08-19-2002, 04:42 PM
I installed my headers on my car, after getting mideval on that EGR line for about two hours. Get everything bolted on, all pretty looking. Hop in, get ready to test those bad boys out...

Car won't start.

BAH! I checked EVERYTHING, making sure I put back what I took off... Eventually after no luck, I decided that I had damaged the wiring harness. After about a day and a half of checking everything again and taking apart that section of the harness, I glance at my ignition coil for half a second to see one of the positive wires disconnected.

I say to myself "No! No, it can't be THAT goddamn stupid!!!" Wire it back in, turn the key and VROOM, purrs like a kitten.

I bashed my head on the hood a few times to make sure I remembered that :lol

Anyone have any 'It can't be THAT stupid!' stories about your cars?

-5150 :bandit:

pimp86LX
08-19-2002, 05:09 PM
one time, i put a new battery in my truck, and it wound't start. i checked all fuses but nothing, check starter, check fuel pump...yeah uhmmm i put the battery in backwards

DOH!!!

Mantis88LX
08-19-2002, 05:40 PM
change my plugs, wires ,distruibter cap, and it wouldnt start turned out it was a wire off my ingniton coil also. took me about 2 hours before i realized it

SteveDX89
08-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Cut off my power steering belt instead of my A/C compressor belt

shepherd79
08-19-2002, 06:17 PM
one time i forgot to connect coil wire to the distributor cap. It took me almost hole day untill my friend came over and pluged it in.
i was ripping my hair onmy head. and i think that is why i am loosing hair.

pric
08-19-2002, 06:29 PM
SteveDX89 Cut off my power steering belt instead of my A/C compressor belt

OMG!! When did you realize you cut the wrong one?

night
08-19-2002, 06:34 PM
i have 2 dipshit stories.

#1 when i put my LXi engine in, i took apart everything i could think of to clean it. i had everything wired, all together and was confident enough to start it.
not a damn thing happen. so i went through so much crap for a week and a half. then i finally got it running by taking off the vacuum advance diaphram and playing with the timing with a wrench while someone turned it over.
i put the reluctor on backwards. took 2 min to turn it over and it ran great from then on.

#2 (enjoy this one) : i had just gotten gas, and was about the only time in the world i cared what mileage i was getting. i put the gas in, put it all up and got in the car. started it, pulled out to the road and it was clear so i went.
ok, this is all going on at the same time..... at that very instant i thought about reseting the odo. so i reached through and pushed the button. through the steering wheel. while i was turning. i had to straightin out, so with my right arm i was turning the wheel back. into my left arm. it turned a bit then my arm snapped off the blinker switch lever and stopped. the car kept turning and i did a u turn straight into the curb right next to where i just pulled out from, running the tow hook onto the curb.
with oncoming traffic. so with the lever hanging down by my leg i pull my arm out real quick, put it in reverse, broke it loose, then threw it in first and hit about 60mph (in a 40) to make the next light.

there was no way in hell i was gonna sit there in traffic next to the people that just saw me make a total ass of myself.

87Hybrid
08-19-2002, 06:36 PM
Wired the spark plugs backwards spent 3 hours turning the distributor trying to get it to fire on all four.:chainsaw:

1989 DX R
08-19-2002, 07:12 PM
Forgot to plug in my headlights when I replaced them. Whoops.

chiller670
08-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Forgot to plug in my headlights when I replaced them.

same here but i forgot twice

ACCORD EX
08-20-2002, 02:37 AM
forgot to put the engine's ground !! took me two hours to figure it out i even checked the whole electrical system ! :(

MIKE

SQ is the SQUAD
08-20-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by SteveDX89
Cut off my power steering belt instead of my A/C compressor belt

lol, this has to be the funniest!

chronicsinners
08-20-2002, 05:41 AM
I cut my sprint springs the other day, everything worked fine, then it started making a grinding niose when driving, i was like oh shit, jacked up the car only to find that the lugs were only hand tight and the wheel was jiggling around in there. im just dumb

pimp86LX
08-20-2002, 05:42 AM
lol, i did the same thing (minus the sprint gutting)

AZmike
08-20-2002, 09:16 AM
I pulled the lower radiator hose fitting off my radiator when I was changing my hoses. Had to replace a perfectly good radiator (minus a hose fitting).

1988starter
08-20-2002, 10:39 AM
My GF put windshield washer fluid in the PS hole and one tme I was working on her car and could not get it to start well the neg side of her coil had come undone

Jdub07
08-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Changed spark plugs and wires went to start her up and nothing...I didn't plug ANY of the new wires into the distributor.

Another dumb ass thing was, I did an oil change and could smell burning oil. I figured I must have spilled a little and it was burning off. After about a week it still wasn't going away so I poped the hood to find my oil cap up in the corner of the engine compartment. I never put it back on.

And I lock my keys in the car ALLLLLLLLLL the time. If I get gas I leave the keys in the ignition well when my door closes more times than not it will lock itself! Pisses me off. I have a plastic AAA key that opens the door for that problem.

SteveDX89
08-20-2002, 01:44 PM
I didn't notice I cut the power steering belt until I drove it. I was pissed.

ACCORD EX
08-20-2002, 03:08 PM
my brother poured gas into the radiator instead of coolant ! ( i posted that a while ago ! ) :D

MIKE

1988starter
08-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
my brother poured gas into the radiator instead of coolant ! ( i posted that a while ago ! ) :D

MIKE

I remember

netfreak
08-20-2002, 04:28 PM
I thought you couldn't lock your keys in the car? My driver door doesnt lock unless the door is shut.

jigga225
08-20-2002, 04:38 PM
Me and my pops were talking one afternoon and he was about to leave the house in his Chevy Truck, He had the hood open becasue he has to add oil now and then
He was drinking a coke out of the can, and talkin to me at the same time, and YEP poured coke into the engine.
He was like aahh dammn!!!!!
Chevy's still kickin though.

Oh yeah I drove with the E-Brake on for about a block once!!!

pimp86LX
08-20-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by netfreak
I thought you couldn't lock your keys in the car? My driver door doesnt lock unless the door is shut.

he's got power locks i think

ACCORD EX
08-21-2002, 02:25 AM
here is something that you should all be carerful about it !

i was working on my friend's Peugeot with power locks and the key was inside of the car , all windows close ! and i disconnected the negative from the battery and after i finished i put it back on again ! and walllaaaa! the car locks auto matically !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank god we where near his house so he grapped the spare keys !
so when working on a car with power looks ! KEEP AT LEAST A WINDOW OPEN !!

MIKE

Jdub07
08-21-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by pimp86LX

nope I have a dx....the locking mechanism on the inside is so old and used that when the door shuts the impact of it closing will sometimes move the little switch causeing the door to lock. I always forget. Sometime the wind will close the door and lock that mother. Its like the car is fuckin with me and is laughing on the inside watching me try and get back in:flip:

SQ is the SQUAD
08-21-2002, 08:37 AM
one time i took the plate off my car and fogot i had taken if off and drove around for about 2 miles with no plates

A20A1
08-21-2002, 11:45 PM
I put the bolts that hold the rear bumper underneath the car, in the wrong holes.... I drove around for about a week till one day it fell off in the middle of the road.... man I felt like such a moron. There is no way of sneaking back to retrive you bumper that has caused a traffic jam.

netfreak
08-21-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by pimp86LX

I have power locks and I can't lock my door unless it's closed or using the key from the outside (with the door closed), so I guess it's a power lock feature as he also states he doesn't have power locks. Though I would never lock my keys in my car, I do enjoy the feature...

anchovies
08-22-2002, 12:46 AM
power lock or no power lock the door doesn't lock without lifting the handle or locking it with the key...it's a safety mechanism for people with amnesia

netfreak
08-22-2002, 12:56 AM
But then how can you still lock your keys in your car?

87accordlxi
08-22-2002, 05:15 AM
you can still lock yourself out by pulling the interior handle and hitting the power locks at the same time. and of course, leave your keys in the car.

i should know, ive done it.....twice

1988starter
08-22-2002, 05:59 AM
I did it once too I threw them on the seat next to me then got out of the car lifter the handle and locked the thing

lostforawhile
08-18-2005, 07:15 PM
oh i can top that,when i broke the iming belt,i had finally put everything back together, was almost positive that nothing in the engine was broke,so i go to crank the car and all i get is it turning over really fast with a loud wheezing noise,i though for sure the engine was ruined,so i'm hitting my head on the steering wheel and $%@**&%~ i forgot to put in the spark plugs DOUBLE DOH! I know it's old but there have got to be some more wacky stories since then ,these threads are always good for a laugh

88Accord-DX
08-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Graveyard special. No respect for the dead. LOL

lostforawhile
08-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Graveyard special. No respect for the dead. LOLthese threads never die,i've been laughing myself sick reading it. i thought only i did so much stupid stuff. lol

88Accord-DX
08-18-2005, 07:45 PM
I have accidently locked my keys in my car once cause I know that handle trick. But knew the other trick to get a key made. (oops)
Anyway, when I had my second car. (67' Mustang) I was changing the oil in it. I was in a hurry and forgot to put the oil drain bolt back in it. I put about 3 quarts of oil in it & noticed oil coming out from the bottom. I was like "shit", what is going on? Looked under the car & was like "damn it". :uh:

Vanilla Sky
08-18-2005, 07:50 PM
yeah, this thread can come back. belongs in OT, though.

check valve the wrong way in a vacuum line. cause the car to quit running after warmup. frined noticed it, changed it, and it ran fine for a while. felt like an idiot until the carb just died.

this kind of thing happens a lot in computers, too. i'm sure paul, java, and sabz will have some fun stories to tell in that field.

Shirako
08-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Went outside to put the carseat in the car and started it to warm it up, went back to get my nephew and came back and the car had locked itself! the door lock moved just enough to prevent the door from opening, well this was back when my car overheated, (clogged hoses and fans didnt work) so my girlfriends dad was trying to jimmy the door open but he couldnt because the car has side locks, I saw the coolant boiling over onto the ground and ran into the house to grab a hammer, came outside and the radiator blew, white smoke was everwhere, not more than 2 seconds later I smashed in my passenger side window(took me 2 swings! first one bounced right off) and cut my damn hand, unlocked the door and turned the car off, I had just gotten the car back from the shop that day and was in tears. Second thing was after I cleaned my carb I didnt tighten a screw tight enough and the engine ate it (still dont know why I took the screw out in the first place) which is why my cars out of commission right now :(

lostforawhile
08-18-2005, 08:06 PM
that reminds me of a time :lol: i had just put in the bazooka tube and was showing my stepson, so i had the radio realy cranked up, i mean windows shaking cranked up and the keys in the ignition.you guess it the door locked. this is the midle of the night,i'm sure someone is going to call the cops. i can't jimmy my doors because i've got anti jimmy plates,so i spent two hours trying to figure out how to get in,not going to say how. and an almost dead battery :uh:

Vanilla Sky
08-18-2005, 08:11 PM
hehe, key exploit, maybe? in the junkyard, i pull every key i can find from a 3gee that's not strapped to the ignition switch. so far, i've found 3 keys that work in my car, one that works in my car and a friend's car, and one that works in every car i have in my posession.

nhgu1dry05
08-18-2005, 08:17 PM
i ended up sending 84 dollars on a radiator cuz it kept on overheating and leaking coolant everywhere. come 2 find out the radiator cap lost its sprint.

but about come stuff:
i just started going 2 itt tech & the teacher was tell some tech problem stories & this lady had called in sayin her "cup holder" had broke off. come 2 find out she was using the cd drive as cup holder.

jman123
08-19-2005, 08:25 AM
I just posted a thread in OT for Computer Stupidities....
Enjoy!

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=45882

lostforawhile
08-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I used to go to chatahoochie tech in atlanta, the teacher was telling us about stupid people when he worked at a dealership. I.E. the woman who blew up a new car engine right off the lot, something was wrong with the oil apparently, well he asked her why she had kept driving with the oil light on, :bowrofl: she said, i thought that meant it was time to change the oil and since it's a new car it doesnt :lol: need to be changed

kaltenacht
08-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I got my clear corners from PCP, and I started putting them in, I took the old ones off, took out the headlight to get to the side screw, and when I tried to put the new ones in I dropped ALL of the new screws into my front bumper. So after kicking the shit out of the bumper to get the screws to drop out (only 3 of the six did mind you) I put them in and stood back to admire them only to realize that now my front bumper sags from kicking it. :Owned2:

lostforawhile
08-19-2005, 01:43 PM
I got my clear corners from PCP, and I started putting them in, I took the old ones off, took out the headlight to get to the side screw, and when I tried to put the new ones in I dropped ALL of the new screws into my front bumper. So after kicking the shit out of the bumper to get the screws to drop out (only 3 of the six did mind you) I put them in and stood back to admire them only to realize that now my front bumper sags from kicking it. :Owned2: if you damaged the rubber bushings in the bumper mounts where they attach to the body they can be braced back up with big washers, that's how i fixed mine. the front bumper floats on those rubber bushings.

Acid X
08-19-2005, 10:37 PM
I've locked my keys in my trunk, of all places, multiple times. Always when i was messing around with my sub and/or amp in the back.

Never inside the car though.

lostforawhile
08-20-2005, 05:31 AM
I've locked my keys in my trunk, of all places, multiple times. Always when i was messing around with my sub and/or amp in the back.

Never inside the car though.you need a hatch :)

Justin86
08-20-2005, 08:48 AM
took me a few days to realize I had a loose ground, It was driving me crazy that it wouldn't want to crank over (starter, main relay) nothing helped. oh I hit my head mulitple times, somethimes it is the simplest thing to fix.

FyreDaug
08-22-2005, 08:01 AM
I bought a new sunfire. <-- the stupidest of them all

I dunno what else... I guess modding the sunfire was a pretty stupid thing too.

I dont think Ive done too many stupid things, except break a ball joint boot trying to take my godamn axles out, and still not get the axles out.

lostforawhile
08-22-2005, 01:57 PM
what ever happened to those cars? i haven't seen one in a long time. maby they break down under ultraviolet light? the eco car, it self destructs.

89AccordLX2dr
08-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Trying to get the rear deck panel out of my coupe to drop in speakers, ended up breaking one of the rear window defrosters terminals clean off the glass. No rear defogger now and never did get the panel out. I was so mad the mission was aborted.

smufguy
08-24-2005, 10:56 PM
the funniest thing was about two years back when i did my efi conversion. I bolted everything back up and it was almost dark, so i try to start it, it cranks and cranks but does not catch up. I am like wtf? i hear the pump turn, i hear the main relay click off. Then still nothing. I check for sparks, they are there, check for fuel pressure, its there. check for proper voltage, everything is there. I go three days reading thru the magazines and trying everything out. THen i am like, okay lemme check the voltage at the injectors, bingo, nothing. Trace it back to the damn injector resistor box and its not hooked up all the way in, the clip is in, but not clicked locked. I almost threw myself in the lake behind the house, but i rather took it for a drive cause it just started right back up.

Another worst thing i did was when i got the current 3g it came with tints. not knowing anything better, i started to peel the rear one off and it peeled off my defroster lines too. SO out of them, only two works and they look ghetto as hell.

the rear window trim. I took them off to paint them, and in the process glued them with silicone cause the clips broke and i was cheap enough to not get new ones. Then one day, i was driving andi heard something rattling i look in my rear view mirror and i see the trim dangling, then i see it just take off from the glass. So now i got one side full of trim missing and the other side looking like a donky butt. :uh:

modu03
03-02-2006, 02:49 AM
i once managed to lock my keys in my car while it was running...

took a half hour for the lock smith to show up. so my car was just sittin there suckin gas for a half hour

forgot to put the engine's ground !! took me two hours to figure it out i even checked the whole electrical system ! :(
MIKE

umm... i did that, drove it around for a couple months before i noticed... it seemed to run fine without it though

87accordHB
03-02-2006, 10:26 AM
I bought a 97 F150 trition, Washed it, filled it up with gas, and parked it into my drive way, left it running to get something out of my house, came back outside and doors were locked. Remote start/Keyless entry...bad combo..Truck sat running with SPARE keys on keychain in ignition with main key. Took 1 1/2 hr for a locksmith to get out there before he could unlock it.....waste of gas.

03-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Two good stories:

First car, Dodge Laser: I figured out a way to take the hatch and window assembly out during the summer to get fresh air into the car and make it feel like a convertible. About this time I picked up the occassional habit of smoking, among other dumb things kids do in school. One day, I was driving down the road with my hatch on and getting ready to light one. I began rolling down the window and quickly felt a draft, followed IMMEDIATELY by my hatch lifting off the rear of my car. I could see it in my rearview. It was in midair, spinning in circles like the cow the move "Twister." It must have reached 15 feet above the pavement before it crashed down, sliding hundred of feet down the road. I was doing about 60mph. Dumbfounded, with cigarette dangling from my lip in amazement, I realized I had to stop and go back for it. As I was braking, I saw just what I feared in my rearview. Another car was coming and there my hatch was laying in the middle of the road. I turned around quickly and flashed my lights trying to warn them, but it was too late. A truck ran over it, but fortunately a second car avoided it. To my amazement, as I approached it I realized the window hadn't shattered. It was grazed on the corners and slightly bent, but salvagable. After that, I used the bolts instead of just the latch to secure it.

Second story, third car, Dodge Shadow: Living where I grew up you could take country roads on the way home from a party or anywhere you'd been out drinking to avoid the police and traffic. One night I couldn't make it home before I had to take a piss. I parked on the edge of a road in a backwoods area ..with the car running. This car also had power locks and had once before locked on me without warning. So, after I'm done I go for the handle and it's locked. No f&*()*ng way!!! My car is running in the middle of the road, I'm drunk as a sailor, and my friggin doors are locked. This one had a sunroof, so my first bet was to try and pop it up so I could undo the latch. I hoped up on the car and began to bend it ever so slightly to release the lever. That would have been an interesting thing to see for a cop, some drunk guy on top of his car trying to open the sunroof b/c he locked himself out while taking a leak. Well, after a few minutes of struggling to no avail, I tried pulling just a little too hard on the sunroof. CRASH!!! Tiny fragments of glass when everywhere. I couldn't believe it, but then again I was relieved I could get the hell out of there. That sunroof cost me either $50 or $100 used, but a DUI would have been my license and probably a grand. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

1ajs
03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
last summer we go camping
http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/1367/canoe15ol.jpg
.... we wentout to one of them camp sites you gota canoe to...
so we got all are gear out and locked the keys in the car doh and umm the trunk is still open lol so my dad grabs his tools and takes are entena off and we get them... to only come back and rilize we left the keys behind 4 days later lol so were like shit so we get the toolz from the canoe and go to take the one antena off and relize we left the keys in the pasinger side lock of the car in plain site no one had tuched anything lol...

the next day we were out shoping and stoped to have a meal at a fast food place left the keys in the car agian so my dad takes his trusty antena off and is having a hell of a time trying to get it to ketch the latch when i relize the back door is unlocked lol how stupid is that

o and last year when we were doing compresion test... my dad left one plug in and when to turn the key to do the test and the car fired up he burst out laughing as he did not exspect that to happen... this was when the car started to smoke real bad the compresion was in the 150's witch surpized him wound up puting all new gaskets and seals on the head... still did not fix are problem

'A20A3'
03-23-2006, 08:05 PM
I rebuilt my engine and forgot to hook up the little tiny ground wire (that's right by the injectors) to the intake manifold. I bought a new main relay, fuel pump...pissed me right the hell off. Runs good now though. :D

BITESIZE
03-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Washed my car in the winter. Doors and locks froze.....went in through the hatch....for a couple days. I was too lazy to get that lock unfreezer stuff. I bet I looked pretty funny to other people. Maybe they thought i was stealing the car.

speedpenguin
03-24-2006, 08:33 AM
There have been a couple times I couldn't find my keys anywhere.
Any time that happens it turns out they've been sitting in the ignition, with the doors unlocked and the car parked in the street, no less.

Mars
03-25-2006, 09:10 AM
my car wouldnt start once, so i checked all the fuses, electrical this and that, everything man. like 4 hours of searching.

It was an auto and i left it in d4 when i shut her off