PDA

View Full Version : question for guys with custom cat-backs

Wanna Be Engineer
08-19-2002, 05:01 PM
I'm thinking about getting a custom resonator-back exhaust with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. I know a lot of guys on here have that muffler with 2.25" piping and like it a lot. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get 2" instead of 2.25"? My reasoning would be that I don't want to lose a lot of low end torque, since I don't do much high speed driving. Also, I'm on good terms with my neighbors right now, and they already put up with the fact that I play the drums too! Not to mention I go to work at 600am in the morning so I don't want to be waking up anybody. So, would using 2' pipe reduce the sound much compared to 2.25"? Thanks for your input guys.

P.S.-Is the Dynomax with 2.25" a lot louder than the stock setup?

1988starter
08-19-2002, 05:04 PM
Go with 2.25 mandrel bent and the dynomax is not much louder than stock but it sounds damn good I love mine and it gave a much better peformance increase than pacesetter. BTW 2.25 you will keep your good low end torque

1989 DX R
08-19-2002, 05:12 PM
Yeah, just drive easy (2000-3500 rpms) until you wanna let it roar.

TeKKnoTeKK
08-19-2002, 05:48 PM
I don't think the piping has much to do with the sound, it's all in the muffler and resonator I would imagine. I have a straight through designed muffler with a quite large opening (4"), if you just do a resonator back system I don't see it getting very loud at all. When I had mine done they removed the resonator.

staticpat
08-19-2002, 06:29 PM
if you dont want the noise, just leave the resonator in, i could barely hear my dynomax until i got the resonator taken out. its not too bad without it though, ppl can here me coming, but its not obnoxious and farty, and i like it alot.

2Fast_Fiero
08-19-2002, 06:54 PM
I am gonna put 2 1/2" piping from my headers to the cat, then from the cat another 2 1/2" pipe all the way to the 3A Racing muffler, which right now it sounds beafy, and leaving my drive way its not that loud.

rallyeNate
08-21-2002, 01:24 PM
i am using a catback from a 94 accord 2door, everything fits with a few adjustments. had to make a 10inch pipe (i assume thats because mine is a 4door and it came from a 2door), i also put a pacesetter header on and had to chop some lenght of the the down pipe. you will need to add a hanger and say good by to your cats. looks and sounds great, not all that loud.

smufguy
08-21-2002, 03:56 PM
our cars (hondas) dont have much or to say any low end torque. and low end torque, is not noticable either way, unless u drive a 4g which has a decent pickup. anywayz. going with a 2 inch piping wont be a prob at all, but ur cat (a highflow cat) would not be a direct fit. u would need an adapter and welding in two places. one at the tube and the other at the cat. i guess u can get a muffler with a 2 inch inlet, but i am not sure what kinda outlet u would have on it. and now ur headers, if ur headers have a larger outlet, then it would be creating highpreassure at the node where ur down pipe and the tube from the cat meets.