PDA

View Full Version : how realistic is it to try and detach the face of stock radio

T-Funk
01-16-2006, 12:02 PM
i want to take just the front panel of the stock radio off and mold something to the back of it so i can use it as a fake faceplate for my new stereo

doesnt have to work, just make it look like its shitty stock radio to the thieving bastards who may pass my parked car

is it possible? or am i gonna have to use like knives and superglue to actually get it looking decent?

thanks guys

Bglad420
01-16-2006, 01:31 PM
ITs probally gonna involve a little more than knives and super glue........

Bglad420
01-16-2006, 01:32 PM
And why not just get a deck with a removable face plate????

AccordRacing21
01-16-2006, 03:24 PM
I'd say it's more realistic to remove your deck everytime you leave your vehicle then to make a fake face plate out of the factory deck. I'm with bglad, just get one with a removable face.

BITESIZE
01-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Use a dremel and cut it off.

lostforawhile
01-16-2006, 04:16 PM
yea if someone sees a radio with no faceplate they'll usually leave it alone,it's of no value to the local pawn shop, usually it costs like around 50 to 60 bucks for a replacemet face. if someone is stupid enough to steal it,they would probably try to steal a stock radio too. some idiot once tried to sell me the stock radio out of a dodge minivan,the am fm radio,not even a cassette,with the wires hanging out of it and part of the dash attached to it still. just called the cops was all.

wallyyfm
01-16-2006, 05:50 PM
some crazy dude on cardomain did that, with a stereo system im modeling mine off of..

TheWatcher
01-17-2006, 01:26 AM
And why not just get a deck with a removable face plate????
Werd. :)

The Kenwood Excelon HU doesn't work w/o the security code (which is any number you choose, when you set the security code on installation, there are 9999 possible codes), once the HU is disconnected from power.

If the thief sees no faceplate, how does he know it's not a Kenwood Excelon??? He doesn't. So they won't bother to steal it. Even if you don't have a Kenwood Excelon, you get the benefit (thief doesn't want to waste his time to get a HU that doesn't work).

Just be sure to take the removeable face plate w/ you (when you get home) and/or lock it in the trunk (when at work, shopping, at the beach, etc.).

Peace.

T-Funk
01-17-2006, 09:05 PM
just curious if its easy or not
im getting one with a detachable face anyways but i just assume the thieves around here see a faceplate removed and assume its worth money for me to be so worried about it

plus having a faceplate removed might make them wanna keep coming back until i forget to take it out one night and even then if they dont want it they just wasted all their crystal meth smoking time staking out my car and figure they should steal it anyway so it wasnt a big waste
almost anyone ive known to get their deck stolen had their faceplate with them in their house

thanks for the advice though
i suppose i can just worry about it when i get the deck and take out the old one

and this was never to replace the face, this was to put on the blank face when i take the real faceplate off, just so it looks stock when im not there. i would use like a thin piece of velcro or a couple clips

AccordRacing21
01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
just curious if its easy or not
im getting one with a detachable face anyways but i just assume the thieves around here see a faceplate removed and assume its worth money for me to be so worried about it

plus having a faceplate removed might make them wanna keep coming back until i forget to take it out one night and even then if they dont want it they just wasted all their crystal meth smoking time staking out my car and figure they should steal it anyway so it wasnt a big waste
almost anyone ive known to get their deck stolen had their faceplate with them in their house

thanks for the advice though
i suppose i can just worry about it when i get the deck and take out the old one

and this was never to replace the face, this was to put on the blank face when i take the real faceplate off, just so it looks stock when im not there. i would use like a thin piece of velcro or a couple clips

People who steal stuff just want to pawn it off for drug money 99% of the time, so I doubt they would keep coming back until they catch you off guard. I'd say you're safe with the detachable face plate.

TheWatcher
01-17-2006, 11:44 PM
You won't forget, it becomes routine, like pulling up the parking brake after you park.

And the kronics are not checking you car everyday, you give them too much credit. Even they have a life. :lol:

Peace

Ludi Mali
01-17-2006, 11:45 PM
Just a heads up on the security codes. Most of them do have a backdoor so they can easily be disabled, its just a matter of finding someone who knows it. The only ones I've seen that people can't break so far are the eclipses with the key CD(u pick a cd to be your key and then you have to insert it every time the power is disconnected to unlock it)

carotman
01-18-2006, 06:47 AM
It's wasy to remvove the stock faceplate guys. It's like tiny screws on the side of the radio and clips. That's all. Just remove your radio and observe by yourlself.

TheWatcher
01-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Just a heads up on the security codes. Most of them do have a backdoor so they can easily be disabled, its just a matter of finding someone who knows it. The only ones I've seen that people can't break so far are the eclipses with the key CD(u pick a cd to be your key and then you have to insert it every time the power is disconnected to unlock it)
Not the Kenwood Excelon HU. You set your own code, there is no backdoor. You can take it to a Kenwood Service Center, but they would know by the serial number that you are not the owner if you stole it. Plus, if my HU got stolen, the first call I'd make (after calling the police) is to the local Kenwood Service Center to let them know my HU was stolen & to call the police if the kronics bring it by to have the code reset. I registered the serial number after I bought it. Hell, I'd even give the Kenwood guy $50 if he called me after the HU was recovered. Over here in the 808, the police tend NOT to call you about recovered stolen property, since if no one claims it, they can auction it off and keep the cash.

Peace.

ivanfbi
01-18-2006, 04:48 PM
one guy who used to steal this kind of stuff (he doesn't do it anymore) said that he followed some rules, like not to steal players with no face plate, it means that person cares about his shit, and he respected that, he only stole stuff from people who don't really give shit about their stuff, like dirty cars, he also never touched stuff that wasn't worth risk, liuke pyle/pyramid/legacy stuff, he said he would rather spend time with his gf, so there is a lot more than most people think

lostforawhile
01-20-2006, 09:57 AM
ya but if someone wants drug money they aren't going to go to the trouble of trying to sell a radio with no face,they'll just find another one to steal. even the cheap ass walmart brand radios now have detachable faces,so it's hard to tell if it's worth anything. might be a kenwood,might be a 20 dollar durabrand. no pawnshop is going to take a radio with no face anyway,and probably no one on the street will buy it from them anyway. junkies may be stupid but they aren't so stupid as to steal something they can't get ,money for.

86-accord-lxi
01-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Get an sei center console, and extend the wiring harness, then route it
inside the console, and mount the stereo inside the console. Then make
some kind of custom cover plate for the hole in the dash. OR mount the stereo inside the glove box. :)

lostforawhile
01-20-2006, 11:30 PM
until they rip out your glovebox to get the radio they found scrounging for cds

86-accord-lxi
01-20-2006, 11:51 PM
If it's really that bad just don't leave anything in your car.
and get a good alarm like a code alarm ellite series ca-670, or
skytek 5000 somethin or another, and get Lojack.

lostforawhile
01-21-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't mean if it's that bad,but if you have a radio they can sell they are going to steal it,the ones with no face are pretty much useless for cash.

T-Funk
01-22-2006, 10:39 AM
actually i had a cd player in my glovebox in my other car and somehow someone broke in and went straight for it when i had never ever used it around that part of the city
madness

oh well thx for advice, i might just stop worrying about it

lostforawhile
01-22-2006, 10:52 AM
If it's really that bad just don't leave anything in your car.
and get a good alarm like a code alarm ellite series ca-670, or
skytek 5000 somethin or another, and get Lojack.I have lojack already,but what i' saying is just make your car unattractive to thieves they are going to usually look for an eaisier target then a faceless radio. we get people who have boxes stolen all the time,they put the thing in the backseat or put it in plain view in a hatch,and wonder why it's missing the next day.or my favorite i read all the time,well offsiser i left my purse and my cell phone on the front seat with all my credit cards and 500 cash in the purse,and the door unlocked and can you believe someone stole it? I see that in the crime section of the paper over and over. people are stupid!! oh yea the time there were five cars stolen in one day here,every last freakin one of them was left with the keys in the ignition and the engine running while someone ran in a store for something. when you do that the responding officer ought to be able to slap you upside the head.

crazykamper
06-19-2006, 09:06 PM
hey, question about having cd player lower....

i have the sei cupholder section... could i possible mount the cd playe on the bottom area?? cause that way you could do a flip out tv, as long as it dont clip the cupholders....

thanks!