PDA

View Full Version : cooling system

fraza
01-17-2006, 10:30 PM
i was driving to the local shopping center when my car did a realy hard take off, like my wheels where slipping on a big pile of sticks when i parked the car i checked the wheels and wells and to my surprise coolant was dripping everywhere, i thort i hit my radiator on a rock or sumthing and busted it, but when i lifted the hood i found that the top heatercore pipe had blown and coolant was everywhere, i was lucky to get home the car was almost in the red, so i spent all day today on my car, first replaced the hose, then when i was topping it up i got air in it had to redo it, it just never ended, and i eventualy found out that i had no thermostat, so the idiot whop had the car before me must have taken it out, so i put a thermostat in, rfefilled the system, burped it all, and it seems to be running fine now, but i just would like to know what is kinda the nominal temp the car stays at, mine usualy at half to 4/6th is this ok running temp

Bglad420
01-17-2006, 10:46 PM
kinda hot....mine runs 1/3- 2/5 way up about

ps 4/6=2/3

Soundy
01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Ya, I'm on my third 87 now, they've all always stayed right around 1/3 (about 8:30 position).

My first 87, we bought in 94 with 160,000km and I wrote it off in '02 with almost 480,000km, and even driving the whole family to Chicago in the middle of the stupid-hot '95 summer with A/C cranked the whole time, it never, ever, once overheated. Not once did the needle go up past that point.

Nice.

fraza
01-18-2006, 04:19 AM
yeh mine used to run at 1/3 flat, but since ive put the thermostat in its been half flat, so maybe all u guys dont have thermostats

Soundy
01-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Or maybe you put in a winter thermostat that runs hotter?

fraza
01-19-2006, 02:46 AM
maybe, but it seems to be very stable, but just today its been running a tad hotter, im waiting for the radiator to cool down so i can see if i need to top it up