PDA

View Full Version : head valves cleaning?

Immeraufdemhund
01-18-2006, 01:28 PM
that sounds weird, but i have been searching now for 30 min and i can't find the right type of valves when i type in valve cleaning. I want to clean the valves on my h23 head. I've been using a dremel and a fairly soft wire brush. (if that just skrewed everything i have an extra head with good looking valves.) It took off the carbon, but it's just not clean enough. I was reading that one thread were dutchaccord (http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15498&highlight=cleaning+valves)
was cleaning up his stuff but he only showed the head and the block getting cleaned with that paint stripper. (i'm going to get some of that here soon so i can do the same)

How and what can i effectivly clean the valves. I dont mind taking time cause i took 3 days cleaning the head with purple power and a brush and that SUCKD! I just dont know what would be safe on the valves and what is important to super clean. anywho, thankx

ERT

(i just copied that text from the same post at cb7tuners.com...but the question is still relevant.)

bobafett
01-20-2006, 10:31 PM
im not exactly sure if they clean valves this way, but getting your engine parts in a chemical bath at a shop makes them look ohhhhh 100% sexier than 3 hours with simple green or purple power and or dremels and or wire brushes... :(

costs $ though.. but damn u should see some of the parts!

Vanilla Sky
01-21-2006, 09:35 AM
i agree. if you want them as clean as possible, you'll take them to a machine shop and have them dip them. you'll have new looking valves after that. def not a bad thing, and it's MUCH cheaper than new valves, and is a damned sight easier than dremeling it all clean.

jigga89SEi
01-21-2006, 01:58 PM
u can glass bead them if it's a really small medium.. But Regaurdless some stains won't come out cause of heat... Wire brushing them isnt goin to hurt them unless your gouging the seating area or the stem of the valve... If your not getting a valve job, make sure u lap the valves in and make sure they lap all the way around the seat...

Immeraufdemhund
01-23-2006, 08:37 PM
u can glass bead them if it's a really small medium.. But Regaurdless some stains won't come out cause of heat... Wire brushing them isnt goin to hurt them unless your gouging the seating area or the stem of the valve... If your not getting a valve job, make sure u lap the valves in and make sure they lap all the way around the seat...
well i did all that and i got the head back together... It runs well but i guess i have to adjust the valves again.

the valves looked identicle to the one post that i linked too... i'm gettign 210psi accross the board.

I'm having a bit of difficulty making sure that i got the valves adjusted right. I set them to 4 and 7 for I/E ... is the proceedure for doing a h23 the same as a a20 or f22??? cause if it is then i guess i got it..they are just a little loud.... anythoughts?

AccordEpicenter
01-24-2006, 06:56 PM
carb cleaner works majik

Cant Stop
01-26-2006, 06:25 PM
loud? they chatter a little?
you can adjust them a little more to quiet them or live with the noise i had a 79 duster with slant 6 that had a valve chatter adjusting didnt solve it but it ran fine so i didnt worry about it