PDA

View Full Version : Running Amp Power

ernhrdt34
01-18-2006, 03:26 PM
I have finally gotten my 89 accord running great and now i am installing the suond system. I have easily run all the wires for the amp but the power wire to the batt. What is the easiest way to get the power wire through the firewall. Im trying to avoid pulling out the dash. but i dont see any easy holes to run it through.

Soundy
01-18-2006, 03:37 PM
You should see at least a couple unused rubber grommets in the firewall looking from the engine bay... pull one out, poke a hole or cut a small slit through it, then push the wire through. You should be able to feed the wire through the hole and find it on the other side. Pull out the length you need and then fit the grommet back into its hole.

Easiest way to run the wire the length of the car is along the side of the floorpan - unscrew and pop up the trim along the bottoms of the doors, then peel back the carpet a bit, and run it just along under the edge of the carpet. If you're running all the way to the back, you can probably just shove your hand right under the back seat and shove the wire up and out the back into the trunk or hatch area, or peel off the door trim moulding, pry the inner panel out a little, and slip the wire under that.

ghettogeddy
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
but you will most likely wanna run it along the passenger side seeing as how all the ignition wires and all the other fun wires are on the driver side u do not want that 12v wire intrupting any vital wires

i drilled a hole just beloow the heater core and ran it through there just barlly missed a weld 4gauge wire is a bitch to run sumtimes

Soundy
01-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Actually, a better reason to run it down the passenger's side, in my experience, is that the hatch/trunk and gas door releases are in the way on the driver's side. But that's simply a matter of convenience. If you're running a really high-powered amp that's going to draw a lot of current, you ideally want to keep the power run separated from the signal run to the amp(s): the high current draw can set up a significant magnetic field around the wire and any power line noise will be fairly easily induced into the signal feed.

Actually, if you have the seats out, it's probably just as easy to run the power and signal down opposite sides of the center hump.

One other very important consideration: ALWAYS fuse the wire AT or VERY NEAR the battery! This is not for the protection of the amp, as it will have its own fuse for that; this is for the protection of the car. If the wire should rub through or the insulation in any other way get pierced and the wire shorted to ground, it could very easily generate enough heat to start a fire.

ghettogeddy
01-18-2006, 04:42 PM
One other very important consideration: ALWAYS fuse the wire AT or VERY NEAR the battery! This is not for the protection of the amp, as it will have its own fuse for that; this is for the protection of the car. If the wire should rub through or the insulation in any other way get pierced and the wire shorted to ground, it could very easily generate enough heat to start a fire.
def but sadly i have to have a fuse at the battery and a fuse by the amp manly cause my fosgates dont have external fuses it was really wierd when i saw it

Ludi Mali
01-23-2006, 04:23 PM
i always wondered if you could use a breaker from a house instead of a fuse. That way when i trips you can just reset it instead of having to get another fuse, which can be tough if you're in a show or comp.

Soundy
01-23-2006, 04:51 PM
i always wondered if you could use a breaker from a house instead of a fuse. That way when i trips you can just reset it instead of having to get another fuse, which can be tough if you're in a show or comp.

You could do that, although connecting to the breaker could be tricky, as most are designed to simply snap into friction clips in the panel and there aren't typically screw connectors.

They do, however, make circuit breakers specifically for automotive use... they're often sold for use with auxiliary lights (fog and driving lights), trailer power feeds, etc. If your local Canadian Tire/Pep Boys/etc. doesn't carry them, try a place that sells trailering accessories.

ghettogeddy
01-23-2006, 05:36 PM
do a search on ebay for fosgate circut breakers they sell them for systems but if everything is hooked up correctly u shouldent blow a fuse ive had my system in for 6 mounths never blown a fuse

TheWatcher
01-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't be cheap!

They make fuses for vehicles that are designed to be used for your car audio system. Don't go ghetto by using stuff that's not designed for your vehicle.

That fuse is gonna keep everything behind it from frying. Like Soundy said, keep the fuse need the battery, most peeps mount it on the firewall.
And I would use an existing hole in the firewall. If you drill, be very careful, you don't want to destroy something you can't see behind the firewall that you need (wires, etc.).

Peace.

Bglad420
01-23-2006, 08:26 PM
DOnt use a house breaker, they use different volts and amps, your car will never put that much power out........