PDA

View Full Version : Creating your own sideskirts and lips?

maxsideburn
01-18-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm not really wanting an entire bodykit for my car, just lips for the front and back bumpers, and sideskirts for the side. Nothing fancy, just something that is lower than the stock parts.

Has anyone figured out how to make their own from fiberglass or something else? If so I would be really interested in how they did it, because I would consider doing it myself.

mkymonkey
01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
search!!! an 89 integra lip will fit ur car. for skirts and other things u will have to use the search on the site

maxsideburn
01-18-2006, 08:15 PM
no no no, I don't want to use stuff from other cars. I want to create my own from scratch.

Not to be a rude newbie or anything but everything I've asked on these forums so far has been responded to with "SEARCH!", well I did search. And apparently my questions need to be worded differently because nobody seems to get me.

I was asking about creating stuff from scratch, not adapting other parts to my car. I already searched and read about that stuff.

Sorry if I didn't word it in a more understandable way.

So anyone have any experience creating this stuff from scratch? (i.e. from basic materials like foam & fiberglass, etc...)

mkymonkey
01-18-2006, 08:20 PM
i know there's a new member that made his own kit. i dont quite remember his name but i know he exists. i think his stuff is so good he got nominated for AOM

B16KILLA
01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
i know of a shop in irwindale california that will make you custom carbon fiber
fenders,hoods,spoilers,bumpers and skirts, their regular kits are 100% fiberglass,me personally i dont like the fiberglass kits.oh and they make custom vertical door kits if you like that stuff.(626)4860184 ask 4 ray

g2driver
01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
New member who created his own: twhonza.
Heres his website: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/839853/

Personally, I love the kit, but im afraid to attempt it.

~Matt

gfrg88
01-18-2006, 08:44 PM
the only guy i know of that made his own kit is the same guy monkey is talkin about his name is twonza or something like that look him up in the AOM section, and yes search, search, search....

edit: there you go thats the guy... and adrian you should try and get him to come to our next meet or some one else try

86-accord-lxi
01-20-2006, 10:51 PM
I saw one crazy dude on cardomain that had a 2 door lxi and he used cardboard, he got flamed really bad for that ! :violin:

myaccord7
01-21-2006, 06:02 PM
i have a custom set of sideskirts i made from a civic. there are for a 4 door.

zach

AccordArizona89
02-04-2006, 02:53 AM
here was my lip kit of 2002!! lol gayness http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/490000-490999/490275_24_full.jpg

Bglad420
02-04-2006, 02:59 AM
Thats the worst pic ever!

mkymonkey
02-04-2006, 03:16 AM
hehehe yeah worst pic EVER.

that reminds me...simpsons is on :D

Bglad420
02-04-2006, 03:26 AM
[QUOTE=that reminds me...simpsons is on :D[/QUOTE]

What!!!!! Thats not fair at 3 am...what channel

A20A1
02-04-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm not really wanting an entire bodykit for my car, just lips for the front and back bumpers, and sideskirts for the side. Nothing fancy, just something that is lower than the stock parts.
Has anyone figured out how to make their own from fiberglass or something else? If so I would be really interested in how they did it, because I would consider doing it myself.

I plan to use foam and overlay fiberglass onto that the way I made my front bumper addition for my corolla.

They sell long square foam peices and even cylinders/rods that are about 3" in diameter at craft stores...butt the peces together the get the length you need. You can shave the round part to create a flat surface, use flat foam peices for the part of the side skirt that overlaps the fender area and the doors if you want them to overlap that as well. Build the basic shape of what you want then cut and shave them till they look the way you want.

I wasn't sure how the fiberglass resis would react with certain types of foam and I had big gaps I wanted to fill so I covered the gaps and the surface of the foam with ducttape. May not have been the best option.

Best foam for a front lip is the foam behind the front bumper... you might be able to pull one from a junked car... If you're desperate use your own foam but then you're not as protected in an acident.
Since I liked the look of the accord and it still was curved enough for my needs of the corolla I used it as the lip for my corolla.

If I ever get more spare cash I'll buy more fiberglass and finish the lip... right now the lip is in the rough stages.
It cost me a bunch just to do the front lip... I think mainland prices will be lower though.

Mind you this was my first time using fiberglass, I was having issues with too little causing parts of the resin to harden and some parts would remain gooey... and too much hardener causing it to dry much quiker and not allowing me to use the mixture for more then one peice of cloth... also it stuck to my glove. :(

The Basic Rough Mold made from Accord Front Bumper Foam and Garden Boarder Trim
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/corolla2103.jpg
Filling the Gaps With Tape
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/corolla2105.jpg
Applying the Fiberglass Matting
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/corolla2106.jpg
First Application, rough finish with about 4 or 5 layers of matt for the front and about 2 or 3 layers of mat for the sides.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/corolla2107.jpg

The holes behind the fiberglass in the foam that were a part of the accord turn signal lights will later be cut out and used to hold fog lights.

Without the Plastic garden trim the foam by itself would have been better, and would have helped me make a smoother finish.
Thing was that I was using the trim to drop the foam even lower allowing me to get less of a gap between the ground.

bullard123
02-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow that looks good man.

gfrg88
02-04-2006, 10:22 PM
damn that looks a little big..... i wanna see it when its all done......

mkymonkey
02-05-2006, 12:03 AM
What!!!!! Thats not fair at 3 am...what channel

dude have you ever heard of cable? lol well it depends sometimes it on fox 2 or whatever at 3am that time it was on just the reg fox channel. but they only air it on cable for some reason not on regular tv.