PDA

View Full Version : Reverse light wires removed from tranny?

Shadowkat
01-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Hello all! I'll get right to the point on this one. The j/y that sold me the tranny for my 5 speed swap cut the reverse light wires off when they removed the tranny from its previous car. Unfortunatly, they cut the wires so close to the tranny that i don't think I can use the ends to connect my reverse light wires to. Is it possible to remove these wires from the tranny completly and replace them? I tried getting mine out a little, but didn't dare try too hard for fear of breaking the reverse sensor completly.

Bglad420
01-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Cant you just get a new sensor??? Do you have a pic???

Shadowkat
01-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Cant you just get a new sensor??? Do you have a pic???
camera's out of commission currently, I might have pics soon. Do I need a new sensor? I'm just trying to replace the wires with ones that haven't been cut. How do these wires connect to the trans? that's all i really want to know.

newaccorddriver
01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
if its too short to connect the ends, you might be better off buying a reverse light sensor. or even go pocket one from a self serve junkyard. pretty easy to replace, just unscrew the oold one and put in the new one. or you can ghetto rig a switch that you must hit every time you go in and out of reverse :rockon:

lostforawhile
01-22-2006, 09:38 AM
have you tried in the wanted section to see if someone has got one? i'm sure with the numbers of members on this board someone has a trashed tranny around somewhere. oh wait,trash trannys are on springer,oh that was bad!! why not put in your signature that you need one?

Shadowkat
01-22-2006, 11:07 AM
well i'm going to the jy monday, so i'll just buy one cheap from there. So the reverse sensor just unscrews? that's really helpful. That does sound like my best option, i was just asking if i could remove the wires because i thought the whole sensor was difficult to replace, but if it just unscrews, i'll just take one from a jy w/ all the wires attatched. By the way, where do the wires end up on a true 5 speed? should i unplug them from that end? or just cut them with enough slack to wire them to the auto shifter wires(which is where i assume i must attatch the wires)

lostforawhile
01-22-2006, 11:56 AM
you know thats a good question,it just shows the switch on my wiring diagram, it doesn't say where it is on the auto transmission.

Shadowkat
01-22-2006, 03:10 PM
you know thats a good question,it just shows the switch on my wiring diagram, it doesn't say where it is on the auto transmission.
yours is a factory 5 speed right tim? where do your wires lead to?

lostforawhile
01-22-2006, 03:13 PM
well they just go into the main harness,i'm not exactly sure where they go from there. let me look in my book at the disassembled auto tranny and see where the switch is.