PDA

View Full Version : Help - Balljoint Failed - Now No Power

GOTWILDRICE
01-20-2006, 09:18 PM
I will have to get around to doing my newbie into one of these days!!

I was driving my 88 exi A/T tonight when my driver side balljoint separated- i was'nt going fast (20 klicks maybe) I pulled off to one side. Upon inspection it was the castle nut that hold the lower ball joint to the control arm that failed - anyhow I jacked her up and managed to realign the the ball joint - i even managed to get a nut partial threaded- the bolt/shaft (on the bottom of ball joint is spinning now -

BUT.... the big problem is now the power train is not working-:wtf: no gears have power including reserve - can anybody spectulate - i figure the CV axle is out of the tranmission - but is it all going to be fukked up - what am i up against here - have any other members had a similar experiece- Its being towed to my mechanic tomorrow - but i would welcome any input

86-accord-lxi
01-20-2006, 09:31 PM
If the engine runs, but the car does not move in any gear it could be
either a broken shift cable, or out of adjustment, oil pump is worn or seized up, the pressure regulator is stuck, or the oil screen (filter) is clogged.
Check these items : improper allignment of the main valve and torque coverter
case may cause oil pump seizure. The symptoms are mostly an rpm related
ticking noise high pitched squeak. In severe instances. it may stall the engine . If the oil screen is clogged with particles of steel or aluminium,
inspect the oil pump and differential pinion shaft, If both are OK, and no
cause for the contamination is found, replace the torque coverter.
Easily found at pull it yourself junkyards (at least around here )
If the axle popped out of the transmission on a turn, the differential pinion shaft may be worn, or
the inboard axle joint clip may be missing (the little c clip, or snapring as honda refers to it)
The honda oem axle end snaprings are only $4-6 each at honda dealer.
Hope that helps !

This is all assuming that you have an automatic transmission.

GOTWILDRICE
01-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks 86- accord -lxi - for your input. Thankfully this one has a pretty satisfactory ending.

tow to backstreet mechanic $30

new ball joint $49

new cv axle assembly - free (lifetime warranty from Canadian tire - sweet )

mechanic $70

havin the honda back on the street priceless

the cv axle broke at the inner boot (the traney side)- its all done now so I'm pretty happy all in all. I gave the mechanic the how to off this site and where it talks about putting the spindle in a vice and beating the shit out of it - he thought that was awesome!!! He's retired but does work for the RCMP and his prices are unbelievable. Its a good job because I just modded my cleared out front/side marker with 9 led bulbs - they beat the shit out of single led 194 waffle bulb - especially for daytime visability!

I to will have a avatar

Peace

buds302
01-22-2006, 12:34 AM
yea i was gonna say a much easuer than an engine problem acause the same thing halppened to me. exactly what happened to you happened to me and my axle broke. now if you axel didnt break then most likely it just fell out of the trans and all the fluid came out with it causing no movement. happened to me and my brother both.

86-accord-lxi
01-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Glad it all worked good ! I love it when things go like that !