PDA

View Full Version : clutch safety relay

lostforawhile
01-21-2006, 08:07 PM
ok I know this has been discussed before,but it got lost in a mess in the last thread. according to my book it says some of the manual transmission cars do have a clutch safety switch,my question is on the auto cars it's a nuetral safety switch, but since the clutch switch grounds with the clutch pedal up,there must be a relay somewhere. I tested mine,with the clutch switch wire grounded,the car will not start under any circumstances. I think the confusion was caused because on a lot of the cars the little plastic plug on the clutch arm has fallen out from age.when this plug falls out the car thinks the clutch is pushed. so where the heck is the relay or control on the manual cars? i don't want to get stuck someday trying to find this mystery control with a flashlight,when it's being argued if it exists. it must be there or it wouldn't matter if the clutch was pushed or not. now mines an 86 dx and it's def in there somewhere,but where? it's not on any of my wiring diagrams. yet by grounding that terminal i proved it exists

Mac
01-22-2006, 07:03 AM
I think the clutch switch to start the car is only on 89's. I have an 88 so mine starts without pushing the clutch in. Anyway (not 100% sure) I don't think there is any relay. I think there is a second switch on 89's clutch pedal assembly (a little higher up).

The switch that is grounded when the clutch is not engaged is for the cruise control. If you engage the clutch with the cruise on it will disengage the cruise like when you hit the brake.

Again I'm not positive how Honda did this. They either used a second switch or used a switch with 2 sets of contacts. How many wires are on your switch? If there is only 2 look for another switch. If there is 4 check the other 2 wires for power with the key on. I would imagine that it the same as the nuetral safety switch on automatics. The second switch or contacts should pass voltage to the starter solenoid with the key on.

carotman
01-22-2006, 07:29 AM
There is a second switch at the base of the clutch pedal assy. The clust has to be pushed all the way in in order to have that switch disengage. The cruise is different since a slight pressure on the clutch will make it disengage.

Mac
01-22-2006, 08:04 AM
There is a second switch at the base of the clutch pedal assy.

Thanks carotman for confirming that. I thought there was a second switch.

lostforawhile
01-22-2006, 08:09 AM
well the second switch if there is one has to be mounted on the car itself not the pedals then becaue i have a set of 89 lxi pedals i did the custom pedals on,and i got them out of the other room and theres only one switch. the entire clutch switch safety thing seems to be kind of a gray area, the switch on my car only has two wires. did another test with the key on,and disconnected and connected the wire.when i do that i def can hear a distinctive clicking somewhere in the car. I wonder if it's wired as a relay that opens with the key turned to start when it has a ground signal from the pedal. for a i know it could have had a starter cutout put in at some point and somebody got smart enough to also wire it to the clutch pedal switch. only thing is i've had this dash all the way apart and have never been able to find one. I looked very carefully at all the wiring wen the dash was out and found nothing.

lostforawhile
01-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks carotman for confirming that. I thought there was a second switch.
anybody got a picture of that never seen it maby it's wel hidden

newaccorddriver
03-28-2006, 09:37 PM
anybody got a picture of that never seen it maby it's wel hidden

the neutral safety switch relay is hidden just behind the cigarette lighter(just above that little box). its only available on 89 accords. the pedal assembly has another switch above the cruise control switch. when the switch is pushed in it is grounded.

i know this thread is a few months old, but i hope this helps as i kinda want a neutral safety switch so i can go to the tracks this year for a baseline...

lostforawhile
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
maby the hatch is different,the pedals i built my project pedals from were from an 89 lxi hatch,it only has the one switch I took that car completly apart and it only had one switch. I have those pedals here and they are just like the ones from my 86 hatch. I wonder if the difference was the ones built in Japan,and the ones built in Marysville Ohio. my 86 has a definite click if you turn the ignition on and operate the switch on the clutch assembly. I used that switch when i put the cruise in my 86,but the click is coming from the center of the dash.