PDA

View Full Version : axles

doug
08-20-2002, 08:06 AM
I'm starting to get the clickity-clack from the halfshafts/axles and was wondering if anyone can recommend what manufacturer of rebuilt and/or new halfshaft that are decent.

AZmike
08-20-2002, 08:25 AM
I got mine done at the dealer before I knew how to do anything for myself. Now I'm regretting it. For about half the cost I could have gotten brand new lifetime guarranted axles and installed them myself. If they ever wore out I'd know how to replace them myself. I think Autozone and Napa both sell new lifetime warranted axles. You'll probably have to order ahead though, I doubt they'd stock them. I think they're around $100 each.

I've heard that the axle nut is really hard to break loose, but since it's on the outside of the car you could use a long breaker bar.

OldSchoolSwap
08-20-2002, 09:42 AM
you can also take it to a specialized cv joint shop and they'll charge about $30 to $40 to rebuild yours and should give you about 1 year warranty if your low on cash and can't afford the lifetime on autozone.

doug
08-20-2002, 09:56 AM
I found a place in Gainesville, Fl. called Raxles. They sell rebuilt units but supposedly use new CV joints. The guy Marty says that is the big difference between his and the others. Anyway they want $108 each side. They pay the return shipping and don't charge any core charges unless you don't return the old ones to them. They offer a "forever" warranty (whatever that means).
Anyone on the board used Raxles?

ACCORD EX
08-20-2002, 02:48 PM
the axle nut will take the shit out off you to take it off ! i used a 32 mm socket with an extention and a 2 m long pip ! :D

MIKE

OldSchoolSwap
08-20-2002, 03:45 PM
Or you can take it to a local shop and have them brake it loose for you and pay them a few bux. then tigh them up a bit and drive home. that should make life much better for you.

ACCORD EX
08-20-2002, 03:55 PM
that what i did the first time ! :D

MIKE

bigpoppa88
08-20-2002, 04:42 PM
If you know anyone with an air compressor you can use the impact gun with a 32mm. That's what I use. Try changing your cv joint yourself, it's not as hard as it seems. You'll save a whole lot of $$. You don't even have to release the impossible nut & bolt on the damper fork. Separate the cv joint before you get to the fork!