PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gear Keeps Popping out...need help

integrapwnage
01-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I drive a 1996 Acura Integra GS-R manual tranny....I have a stage 3 racing clutch and havent had any problems with it until recently...All other gears are fine but when I pop it into 5th gear unless Im pushing on the gas petal it pops out...none of the gears are hard to shift into but when I am not putting any pressure on the gas there is a grinding sound. Someone told me it sounds like the throw out bearing may be shot...any suggestions?

FyreDaug
01-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah my 04 sunfire did that in 2nd gear, you can keep it in gear and engine brake right? but as soon as you create torque through the transmission it pops out?

Throw out bearing

Cant Stop
01-26-2006, 06:13 PM
rebuild time throw out could be shot or the synchros are wearing out and keeping it locked in

voiceinurhead05
01-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I'd say it sounds more like a syncro problem than anything else. Does it work ok if you hold the shifter in place when in 5th gear?

integrapwnage
01-27-2006, 02:14 PM
It tries to kick out HARD CORE but if I put enough muscle into it then it will stay in...what all is involved with fixing syncros?

Kabuki
01-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Nope... Honda transmissions don't work like that... It's going to be 5th gear is burned up. Regardless, it's rebuild or replace time.

88Accord-DX
01-28-2006, 07:10 AM
The Honda Accord has a 5th gear synchro ring... It should be the same on the Integra, since it's made by Honda. Might need to pull apart the transaxle to find out what is wrong, or replace the whole thing with a junk yard tranny.. Good luck with that..

integrapwnage
01-28-2006, 01:06 PM
I appriciate the help guys...I guess I will start looking in junk yards...autozone has a tranny rebuild kit with syncros...but I dont think thats gonna do it...would it be advisable to have a mechanic take a physical look at it before I go out and start buying expensive stuff?

Honda-Master
01-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I bet that someone used gear oil in the tranny ,, 5th gear assembly get oil up there through a tube ,if gear oil is used , due to the tickness, oil cannot get up to 5th gear properly , thus no lubrication it will overheat and burn up...I have seen this happen many many times on hondas trannys ,, all you got to do is remove the rear cover and replace 5th gear assembly..( gear, synchro, bearing ) ..

slimjim72786
05-29-2009, 07:29 PM
so what kind of oil do you use for the tranny??? im experiencing the same problem. How long does this job take to rebuild or replace it

Rendon LX-i
05-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda mtf

MessyHonda
05-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda mtf

made from the best on earth

w261w261
05-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Was this tranny originally a 4 spd way back when, and for production reasons they added a 5th gear in this particular way?

ecogabriel
05-30-2009, 09:19 AM
In addition to Honda MTF you may use engine oil in your manual tranny if your user manual says so. 3rd. gen. Accords can use engine oil as well as 5th gen. Civics (I used it on mine)

Another option is using Synchromesh fluid; I am actually using it on my '93 Civic and works pretty well. But as prices may not be too different from Honda MTF you may be more comfortable using the latter.

On the other hand, I would NEVER use gear oil in a manual transmission calling for engine oil or similar.
The most widely used gear oil meets GL-5 specification and I have read that it "eats" yellow metals in manual transmissions because of the special additives it uses.
There may be more technical explanations out there regarding this but the one on the link below is the closest one to the stuff I read a while ago.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=120197&page=1

Finally, my old mechanic warned me against using gear oil in manual transmissions calling for engine oil, his argument that yellow metals are corroded by it.

headbanger
05-30-2009, 09:53 AM
mine was just doing this.Everytime you shifted to 5th after a bit it would pop out. Following guyhatesmycar's advice I checked manual tranny fluid and it was low so I drained it and it only had about half a pint in it so I filled it up with castrol gtx 10 -40 and put a half a bottle of lucas in it.Problem solved now stays in 5th gear fine.I think only reason to use auto tranny fluid is if you live somewhere cold.Because auto tranny fluid is thinner and thats not what you need on worn out parts.I talked to a mechanic about it and he said that is why they started telling peeps to put auto tranny fluid in them was because during the winter time oil got to thick to move well.
made sense to me anyway.

ArokASE88LXi
05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
ya know i opened my 5 speed up because 3rd gear was doing the same thing as yours, the syncros were wearing out (3rd more than the rest) and when i looked at the 3rd/4th selector ring the teeth were wearing pretty badly I have a lot of pictures of it but my internet connection is half of dial up speed (yes yes laugh all you want!) anyways i'm not sure how closely your transmission relates to mine but if memory serves they're relatively the same. Anyways in our 5 speed A2Q5 you can fix 5th gear without removing the transmission! the black pan on the passenger side has about8 bolts in it take those off and 5th is right there you can replace the gear, the syncro, the selector hub and ring also. thats probably where your problem is. a throw out bearing is highly un-likely in your case because if it was bad you'd be having similar problems in all gears not just 5th.

ArokASE88LXi
05-31-2009, 12:51 PM
on the fluid note i'd use the honda mtf it's what the syncros and all the rest were designed to work the best with. Mine ran 80w90 for almost 6 years when it belonged to my friend cause he just put it in after thats what he guessed came out. smelled like 80w90 i guess idk. but it's worth lookin at 5th to see if it's like my 5 speed. repairing it w/out removing the tranny would be heaven in my book!

jasonrebellion
05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
i used to have a 98 S-10 that did that in fifth gear.....as long as i was using the gas pedal it would stay but as soon as i let off it'd pop out unless I left my hand on it to keep it there.....it was the syncro i do believe....

Rendon LX-i
05-31-2009, 08:08 PM
DONT use engine OIL...it foams up and just makes things worse. I learned the hard way. and when it gets like 90 plus and in traffic sounds like the tranny have problems when shifting. just cause the manual says so i wouldnt do it. IF someone jumped off the bridge WOULD you do it LOL.

Just pay the cash for the Honda mtf. YOUll love it like messy said its from the best on earth yo