PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering when warm?

maxsideburn
01-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Ok before anybody flames the crap out of me, I did search on this topic, but could only find stuff related to carb models. My car is fuel injected.

I can usually dog on my car straight outta my driveway, and it hauls a$$, but once it gets really warm, and I try to give it some good gas it will bog down big time, almost like it's about to kill. I thought the problem was that one of the plug wires was halfway off, and barely touching the plug, when I got the car. Well now the car has some new plugs and the wires are attached securely. I also changed the under-hood fuel filter. Like I said it usually only happens when I get on the gas pretty hard after the car is warm, but it stutters so bad I can feel the recoil through the steering wheel.

My thoughts at this point are:
Fuel filter? (is there another one?)
Fuel pump? (sure hope not, how do I test it?)
Dizzie cap and rotor? (don't really see how this could be the problem)

keruhas184
01-27-2006, 01:46 PM
check your coolant level. could be your thermostat.

maxsideburn
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
hmm, I'll make sure to check that.

What about my ECU throwing code #12, could this possibly be due to the EGR valve?

shepherd79
01-28-2006, 06:25 AM
check the coolant and oil level. and yes you may want to fix the EGR code problem.
I had the same problem and my problem was with spark plugs. the gap on the plugs were two big. make them smaller .039 and see if that would fix it.
I do recomend replacing fuel filter. when i replaced mine the dirt was comming out of it and that filter was only 2 years old.

maxsideburn
01-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Well I did replace the filter, but is there another one? Like under the car or something?

88Accord-DX
01-28-2006, 09:39 AM
I don't have a fuel injected Accord, but that sounds like a TPS issue. (throttle position sensor)

Code 12 is EGR lift sensor.

shepherd79
01-30-2006, 07:53 AM
on EFI cars there is only one main fuel filter. You can replace the strainer on fuel pump, it helped me.
In short terms, you have missfire when you push the pedal. so adjust the plugs, and make sure the fuel pressure is right.

maxsideburn
02-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Ok I just don't get this. It only happens after the car is run for a while. I noticed that if I turn the car off and then back on, it seems to stop it for a few minutes. So that makes me think some kind of electrical problem. It feels like it's losing fuel or fire all of a sudden.

How can I check the fuel pump to see if it's going bad?

Deadhead
02-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Check your fuel pressure.

injectors should be fine if you are fine when it's cold.

yes, check your coolant level, also check your TW sensor (coolant temp sensor)

FIRST OFF!!! FIX YOUR EGR. You have a problem, you have a code telling you that you have a problem.... FIX IT FIRST.

maxsideburn
02-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Well that's just a lot of money for a valve that will be replaced when I replace the entire motor in a few months :(