PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Bleed Screw

nutmeg_runner
01-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Just snapped off doing routine brake fluid change. Dang.
Any cautions/tips about replacing wheel cylinder appreciated. Also what kind of sealant should be applied between the cylinder and backing plate?

Honda-Master
01-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Just snapped off doing routine brake fluid change. Dang.
Any cautions/tips about replacing wheel cylinder appreciated. Also what kind of sealant should be applied between the cylinder and backing plate?

real easy to do,,remove the drum, remove the brake line, remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the wheel cylinder, get a screwdriver and push in the cylinder pistons and remove it , .. No need to put any sealant at all no need for it, reconnect everything , after you hook up the brake line, loosen bleeder screw and let it gravity bleed , when just fluid comes out, tighten bleeder screw, All done ..

Kabuki
01-27-2006, 10:16 PM
I woulds suggest replacement as a pair, but it's not mandatory.

nutmeg_runner
01-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the advice. It wasn't too hard. The brake line was tight but the flare wrench worked after a little heat. Found a wheel cylinder for $16. Curious why I should replace as a pair? The old wheel cylinder was fine. If I had been able to extract the bleed screw and replace it, I would have. It probably was a waste of time and $16 as I doubt I will ever need to bleed the brakes again. I tried using a homemade bleed kit but my shop vac needs a new filter as it does not develop enough of a vacuum. I took a cleaned quart Hot and Sour soup container and drilled two 1/4 inch holes in the lid. My shop vac has an adapter with a nozzle that narrows to 1/4 inch, placed it into one hole and threaded tubing from the bleed screw into the container. My five year old enjoyed pumping the brake for his old man as a failsafe.

Honda-Master
01-28-2006, 07:48 PM
glad to hear that it is all taken care of :)