PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light on now?

bigal004321
01-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Alright so i have an 87 lxi and i changed the alternator today... the old one was going bad because if you had any electronics or lights on and pull the battery it would shut off... well so i changed it put in a new one and it works really well.. lights are brighter i can pull the battery with everything and it works fine...to my question now

now that i have changed it i have a battery light on in my dash.. its not constant either like it flickers if im not moving or if im in netueral it will stay off any ideas? i havent had time to check underneath the car to see if one of the connectors is loose on the alternator is that all you think it is?

Honda-Master
01-28-2006, 08:00 PM
i would chk to make sure all the connectors and wires are tight like you said,,

did you use a Honda alternator??

bigal004321
01-28-2006, 08:07 PM
its actually a used one so i have no idea.. i got it from another guy on this forum was only used for 2 months... like i said that seems to be working excellant!

Honda-Master
01-28-2006, 08:13 PM
try something....when the lite is on,, get a big screwdriver and smack the alternator a few times,, if lite goes away ,ou got alternator problems,, if it stays on, you need to test the charge system,, you still might have alternator problems,, and if you need to replace it use a Honda alternator, they will last ,,,

bigal004321
01-28-2006, 08:18 PM
well i hope its just a loose connection then

87LXiR
01-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Did you make sure theres enough tension on the belt. If its slacking that may cause it too slip and not turn the alternater like it should which might expain why its intermittent. But like you guys said check your connections.

bigal004321
02-01-2006, 05:34 AM
so i checked my connections and they seem to be fine. I noticed the light is on when there isnt a load on the battery like headlights off and stereo off. As soon as i say turn the head lights on the battery light will start to flicker on and off. Also it will flicker when i drive in gear, but as soon as i shift to neterual or push the clutch in it will be a constant red light. So i was thinking do i have the belt too tight?
Also if im parked and i turn the head lights on they will dim down until i push the gas in a little

edit * and i brought it to autozone the other day and had them do a charging test and he said it was putting out enough amps and that it seem to be charging just fine

smufguy
02-01-2006, 07:22 AM
when the car is fully warmed and idling, take a multimeter and see how much voltage u are putting out at the battery. anything above 13.5V is good. Check the single lead cable to the alternator. My light flickers from time to time and everything was going perfectly fine, putting out 13.8V at full load. but a week later the Alternator Died on me.