PDA

View Full Version : d16z6 swap

Aer0deck
01-30-2006, 01:37 AM
hi! i start this thread to find out what do i need to know before swaping my a20a2 whit a del sol d16. i don't care if a20 has better performance...cause mine is in bad condition and i can't find another one..... thanx

Aer0deck
01-30-2006, 03:19 AM
and if i have the entire del sol.... do i need some extra mounts?

Aer0deck
01-30-2006, 04:10 AM
hasn't anybody tryed this before??? anyone? :jaw:

FyreDaug
01-30-2006, 04:43 AM
No because it doesnt seem practical

shepherd79
01-30-2006, 08:08 AM
as far as i know, noone ever tried D16z6 motor swap. but people swap B16A all the time. Since D series and B series have simular engine mounts and no one makes swapable engine mounts. You will have to make enine mounts and shift rods custom. plus you will have to adapt electrical system.
you may want to read up on engine swap threads. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413

snoopyloopy
01-30-2006, 08:12 AM
if it's from a del sol, then it is almost undoubtedly an obd-1 compliant engine. so you'll also need to do the necessary changes for that to work. and no one has tried swapping in a d16 because it's not worth it in our cars. civic owners are trying to get rid of them as fast as possible and swap in something else. unless you really could care less about performance and just want something so that your car can run reliably, then save your pennies and get a b16/b18c/b20-vtec or save lots of pennies and do an h22 or hoard all pennies you see and be the first to put a k-series in a 3g.

Aer0deck
01-30-2006, 09:46 AM
at this moment d16 is the only engine i could find.... except for prelude 3g b20... so i'm probably gonna buy the d16 and make it fit. i don't think it's such a weak engine... i've searched and i can buy any aftermarket part for less than half the price for our accord.i can bring the d16 near to 150 hp with minor modifications..... so i'm opened for sugestions and helpfull tips. thanx

bobafett
01-30-2006, 10:31 AM
the d16 is a miserable motor, but there is a lot of people boosting them with really suprising results at www.homemadeturbo.com . personally i would go with another a20 rather than a z6.... is you are bent on getting a different motor, and have a little cash, step up to the plate like accord theory and do a b-series swap without any swap kit! :)

Aer0deck
01-30-2006, 11:49 AM
i don't have where to get a b20a from :rocket: .... i'm not from us and they are not imported here. is it easyer to put a b20 from prelude 3g than d16? thats the only engines i can find.... my a20 is to old and its much cheaper for me to do a swap than to rebuild it...

Legend_master
01-30-2006, 12:12 PM
i don't have where to get a b20a from :rocket: .... i'm not from us and they are not imported here. is it easyer to put a b20 from prelude 3g than d16? thats the only engines i can find.... my a20 is to old and its much cheaper for me to do a swap than to rebuild it...

With the money it would cost to put that TQless POS in the car you could easly rebuild and turbo your a20. It is not just going to drop into the car. YOu will need to make a braket to fit the tranny mount. YOu could easily rebuilt and drop in an a20 in the time it would take you just to put the d16 in the engine bay(that dosent even include the time for the Axles, Wireing, Shift linkage). Just do yourself a favor and rebuild the a20. I am not trying to be an ass, but It is easy to tell when someone has the knowledge to get this job done and when they don't have the knowledge. Reaserch a little more and do it the right way

snoopyloopy
01-30-2006, 12:25 PM
where exactly are you located, since you said you're outside the united states.

Accordtheory
01-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I would say as a general guideline for everyone, if you're not trying to get double or more than double your stock flywheel hp at the wheels, don't do a swap. It's not worth it. A d16 is the ultimate in not worth it. It took me 2 days of all day work to make my mounts, and about 3 hours to do just my shift linkage. I can't possibly fathom all that effort with the end result being a slower car..f the d16. You should be able to rebuild and install the a20 in a relatively short order..

Legend_master
01-30-2006, 07:03 PM
I would say as a general guideline for everyone, if you're not trying to get double or more than double your stock flywheel hp at the wheels, don't do a swap. It's not worth it. A d16 is the ultimate in not worth it. It took me 2 days of all day work to make my mounts, and about 3 hours to do just my shift linkage. I can't possibly fathom all that effort with the end result being a slower car..f the d16. You should be able to rebuild and install the a20 in a relatively short order..

:werd:

Aer0deck
01-30-2006, 11:53 PM
ok.. i'm gonna listen to you guys(for the moment) and continue searching for an efi a20 engine. i will let you know the results...

snoopyloopy
01-31-2006, 01:09 AM
you'll be glad you did eventually. but answering a few simple questions could reveal to us more of what exactly you're looking for and all. like you said you're not in the us, so what country do you live in? how much do you have or plan to spend on your engine? are you swapping engines for performance or just to be able to drive the car? if it's for performance, are you trying to make a track car or just a street car with more oomph? answering those questions will make it a bit easier for you to find info you want or need.

Aer0deck
01-31-2006, 02:24 PM
i'm from fucking romania... here we are 3-4 3g aerodeck owners... and we all love our cars... and we all try to make them better for performance. it's hard because shipping is killing my pockets... i think eventually (maybe september) i will buy another car.... i'm sorry... but in this moment i really cant afford to tune it well because of the shipping. but i'm sure i will remain in the honda family!

snoopyloopy
01-31-2006, 07:43 PM
ahh, ok. cool. my best friend is romanian (he lives here now, though). and glad to see you guys are trying to keep the 3g alive. i guess the dacia must still overwhelm the 3g as the car of choice. but i digress...yeah, if shipping really is that expensive, then you either have to really love the 3g or just be stackin paper like crazy to keep it and continue building it. so if you want to keep it and the z6 is absolutely the only engine you can come by and your a20 is just completely shot, then go for it. but it all depends on what you plan to do with the car and use it for too. anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

SQ is the SQUAD
01-31-2006, 08:28 PM
i love the d16z6. it can be done, but i wouldent do it unless u plan on building it. check out www.d-series.org they got lots of good info. swapping in the d is basically the same as swapping in a b in our cars, so just reay the 100 if threads we have about it

Aer0deck
02-01-2006, 02:32 AM
ok... thanx for the moment i'm not going to invest money in the accord.... i'm just going to wait and see if i can buy another car(possibly an alfa romeo 2.0ts)... and if i don't have enought money i'll keep searching for an engine for my aerodeck......cause i love my car but it's not cheap to make it really a supercar.... and even if i buy another car eventualy i will return to my first love...

snoopyloopy
02-03-2006, 08:22 AM
lol...if you want a supercar, then ditch the aerodeck unless you plan to invest quite a pretty penny. honda never meant for it to be a supercar. however, it would be nice to pull up next to a viper or vette or something in a 3g and smoke him. :lol:

Aer0deck
02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
that's a good joke!!!! lol i still don't know what am i going to do... but i will sure let you know what will be the next step...:wave: