PDA

View Full Version : custom short shifter pics please

mykwikcoupe
01-30-2006, 02:39 AM
so ive got a few extra shifters lying around and Im going to make my own short throw shifter. Yes i know pacesetter makes one and its only like 50 buck shipped but if youve ever used anything pacesetter you know what trash it is.

Ive made them in the past for my civic and a few other cars its pretty easy when you figure out the available room you can grow on the ball end. Im wondering if anyone else has done this or if they have pics. The only real reason Im asking for pics is Im also thinking of trimming down the handle side also. Im thinking id take probably 2.5-3 inches off the top and weld the threaded shaft back on. Im not too worried about height since the type-r shifter knobs are like 2 iches tall and theres other options to get the hight back up if needed. Yes i know it doesnt make sence to make it a short throw shifter then remove the little play youd have left but what the heck. Itll take me 15 minutes start to finish. Anyway just curious and if not ill post pics later. Know I need to find a really shallow boot for the console

bobafett
01-30-2006, 10:52 AM
yeah to properly do a short shifter, you have to modify the location where the ball sits too... i dont have pics, but 87hybrid (a member local to me) fabbed up my short shifter, and he added maybe 1.5" to the piece that holds the ball, and lowered the end of the ball 1.5" as well (by chopping and welding) then my shifter was 1.5" taller, so we but about 1.5-2" off of it, and now it looks stock, but has a pleasantly short throw... i need to get a bushing for it though, cause its feeling a lot sloppier now than it used to. :(

mykwikcoupe
01-30-2006, 02:40 PM
actually in geometric factors the only thing neccassary is a longer rod under the ball the allow more action with less movement so rather than relocate the ball im going to add 1 inch to the bottom of theball and reweld it. Ill take off probably 2.5 from the top of the ball and reweld the threads back on so im not suffering the lack of knob end result. if you could send some pics of the finished produst that would be great. is there really enough room under the ball above the heat shield to add 1.5 inches. wow i thought 1 ich was pushing it. It was real close on my civic.

bobafett
01-30-2006, 05:53 PM
oh this mod has been installed for 3+ years. i will check to see if there is any way to get pics though....

mykwikcoupe
01-30-2006, 11:41 PM
cool so what do you think of it overall. good or bad, any things that would improve the design. Thanks again

bobafett
01-31-2006, 02:20 PM
well i think its really really nice... not as crisp as my B&M short shifter for the 240sx, but its quite enjoyable. i think the lack of crispness is inherant in the 20 year old bushing and tranny design, but it certainly is way nicer than a stock accord!

rustlude87
01-31-2006, 06:07 PM
mustardcat on preludepower has a how to short throw shifter
http://www.prelude3g.com/
its under misc