PDA

View Full Version : short shifter on an automatic?

aerokid1987
01-30-2006, 05:49 AM
I am wondering if anyone has custom modded their automatic to shorten the shift stick itself. If nobody has then I think that I'll be the first to try it. Post pictures if you have done it please.

Deadhead
01-30-2006, 07:09 AM
There would be no point in having a short shifter on an automatic, it can still only change gears so fast.

the short shifter in a manual just changes the geometry so that you don't end up screwing your syncros in the transmission... they don't make you persay, shift faster.

if you just want to shorten the stick for the hell of it... ok, have fun.

aerokid1987
01-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Yeah I know that there is no point in doing it for performances sake, I'm just talking about for looks. I just think it would look cool with a shorter stick and a chrome Type R knob.

FyreDaug
01-30-2006, 07:30 AM
*sigh*

snoopyloopy
01-30-2006, 07:59 AM
what're you gonna do about the little button that you have to push to shift out of park, or into 2nd and reverse?

Bglad420
01-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Why not do a 5-speed swap...

aerokid1987
01-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Ok this is what I would have to do. I would chuck the factory one and replace it with one like this.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/au/autokraz/TitaniumShiftLeverknobAK.jpg
I would cut around the outside of the stick and leave the rod in the middle about an inch higher than my cut. I would then install this knob on the stick. These knobs you push down to unlock the shifter.
I am doing it for looks and I don't have the money or the know how to do a five speed swap, although I would love to.

aerokid1987
01-30-2006, 10:15 AM
*sigh*

WTF? what is that about?

3rdgeneration
01-30-2006, 10:41 AM
yes i was looking into doing that, and ive known people who have, so it will work, but i decided it why not do a swap and get a real short shifter

Legend_master
01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
*sigh*

:werd: either way it will still be an auto. If you are really seriosly considering doing this, I would buy an extra auto shift lever from the junkyard to do the work on. Cause if/when you do this and you mess up the lever then you can't get the car out of park. The smartest way to do this would be to jam the button down, so that you don't have to push it, but then the car will go in and out of gear if it is bumped.

A20A1
01-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I did that a while back, I had to cut the shaft and cut the internal shaft. Then bolt on a vertical push knob instead of the horizontal button since the wheel isn't there anymore when you cut the shaft.

The button would get caught some times and that would cause issues so I removed the shift knob and welded on a space socket from my socket set... so now I have a ghetto short shifter.

Then I removed the locking mechanism all together which I intended to modify to make it easier to up and downshift.

A20A1
01-30-2006, 05:14 PM
:werd: either way it will still be an auto. If you are really seriosly considering doing this, I would buy an extra auto shift lever from the junkyard to do the work on. Cause if/when you do this and you mess up the lever then you can't get the car out of park. The smartest way to do this would be to jam the button down, so that you don't have to push it, but then the car will go in and out of gear if it is bumped.

You don't want to jam the button, you want to keep the reverse lock out.
but D4 to 2 you can grind down the teeth untill they make small bumps and the lever will just roll over into each gear.

I still think that the shifter modification doesn't compare to manual TV cable mod. :) I was going to hook the tv cable to my manual pedal assembly and make it the clutch pedal.

A20A1
01-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Uhm, yeah :)

Bryan
02-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Dumb idea, don't do it.

B16KILLA
02-06-2006, 07:01 PM
I say go for it and get in on camera.......

aerokid1987
02-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Iight I think Im gonna try it... Again I am just doing it for looks, I'm not a retarded ricer that thinks it'll give me another 100 horsepower cuz i can shift faster... I would love to have a five speed and get a real short shifter but an auto is what i gots...:Owned2: