PDA

View Full Version : taken off heater controls? please help!

Shadowkat
01-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Okay, I need the help of anyone with push button type heater controls that's taken their controls off before. I'm trying to take my controls off in order to replace the heater core, but I can't seem to get the knobs on the fan/temperature levers off. How do I get them off?!!! Please Help, I need to replace this heater core ASAP!!

acco-R-d
01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
your gunna have to pry off the knwbs on the lever for fan speed and climate control using a screwdriver. then theres a bunch screws holdin the lever in. it mite b possible removing the controls w/o removing the dash, but im not sure.

Shadowkat
01-30-2006, 04:04 PM
your gunna have to pry off the knwbs on the lever for fan speed and climate control using a screwdriver. then theres a bunch screws holdin the lever in. it mite b possible removing the controls w/o removing the dash, but im not sure.
Well I have to remove the dash anyway to get to the heater core, which is the reason for taking the controls off anyway. I have been prying the knobs with a screwdriver, but they don't want to come off. Is there a good place to get leverage?

acco-R-d
01-30-2006, 05:17 PM
i used pliers to pull it off, which was hard cas they kept slippin off but try that. those suckers r on there pretty tight, but sure as can slide off

Shadowkat
01-30-2006, 08:49 PM
i used pliers to pull it off, which was hard cas they kept slippin off but try that. those suckers r on there pretty tight, but sure as can slide off

Thanks for the advice, it took me pulling with pliers, and my dad prying with a screwdriver to get those suckers off, but they finally did, so thanks for the advice.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-30-2006, 09:59 PM
thanks for this thread... I was having the same problem myself.!!

Shadowkat
01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
thanks for this thread... I was having the same problem myself.!!
glad to help!

smufguy
01-31-2006, 04:03 PM
you dont have to remove the heater control buttons or levers to get to the heater core.

Shadowkat
01-31-2006, 04:08 PM
you dont have to remove the heater control buttons or levers to get to the heater core.
that's not what my fsm nor my chilton's said. They both said take off the controls. And when I say controls, I'm only talking about the face plate. I know the thing behind it can stay on. but the knobs and the face plate are supposed to come off according tom my manuals.

smufguy
01-31-2006, 10:20 PM
if you are trying to get the heater core that is behind the dash, the white huge plastic thingie, all yo uhave to do is just take the dash out with everything attached to it. takes you about 15 mts to take the dash out along with dropping the steering column.

Shadowkat
02-01-2006, 06:16 PM
if you are trying to get the heater core that is behind the dash, the white huge plastic thingie, all yo uhave to do is just take the dash out with everything attached to it. takes you about 15 mts to take the dash out along with dropping the steering column.

Not true, some of the dash mounting bolts are behind the radio. So that has to come off. Plus, the center mounting bolt is behind the clock, so that has to come off. so does the steering wheel for sure. If you can do that in 15 minures without ever doing it before, then you should have your own discovery channel show.

smufguy
02-01-2006, 09:48 PM
i have ripped my car apart 4 times, i have taken a spare dash out from two ars in the junkyard. Trust me. its just a matter of getting used to them. five 12mm bolts drop ur steering column. two 10mm bolts on each side of the dash, two behind the ash tray and one behind the clock. unclip all ur wires and out comes the dash. No need to remove the radio or the heater. Just gotta unclip the heater cables. I know i might have missed a few screws and details, but thats all there is to take a dash out. If u lived closer, ill gladly spend my 15 mts on ur dash ;)

Shadowkat
02-02-2006, 08:38 AM
i have ripped my car apart 4 times, i have taken a spare dash out from two ars in the junkyard. Trust me. its just a matter of getting used to them. five 12mm bolts drop ur steering column. two 10mm bolts on each side of the dash, two behind the ash tray and one behind the clock. unclip all ur wires and out comes the dash. No need to remove the radio or the heater. Just gotta unclip the heater cables. I know i might have missed a few screws and details, but thats all there is to take a dash out. If u lived closer, ill gladly spend my 15 mts on ur dash ;)
well, i wish i had known that trick before I started, but the fsm and the chilton's both say to take out the radio, and the front of the heater controls. This was my first dash removal, so i did it by the book, perhaps if i ever remove my dash again, which i hope i don't have to, i'll use your method.

blh1983
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
So has anyone else tried this method? My heatercore is done, but I still have heat - but I also have antifreeze on the floor. What I want to see is a video of this method being done. I will try this method with my Sony HDD Handycam and we'll find out if this method works. I've called several mechanics, including one at the Honda dealership and they all laughed when I read them this post. But I will take a video in to them and show them if I can prove them wrong. I hope their wrong. I don't want to spend my entire day working on the car.

moonjaw2002
01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
If my camera was not broken i would take a pic of the complete dash i have here.It is out of a 89 accord auto.You do not have to take the controls out to remove the dash.Drop the steering column and the whole dash comes out as a unit,just unclip the cables to the heater controls at the heater core.Mark

Vanilla Sky
01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Wait, they were laughing because they don't think it can be done? Where's my video camera...

I'll see your 15 minutes and raise you 5 :D