PDA

View Full Version : 88 Accord LX Swaps?

ludesrv
01-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Yes I am new. But I know a thing or two about swaps, concidering I've done about 10 of them, 3 for my own cars.

As of tomorow, I take the keys from my friend's 88 LX accord, 2.0L Carb. I'm assuming that's the A20A2 engine. It's garbage slow and fucking ridiculous to drive. He wants me to swap an engine in, and as it happens I have a spare H23 and an H22 head.

I looked up what you guys had, but was unimpressed with the info. Althought there was a guy who got the engine it, he never finished it. I wanna know what I gotta do to make this engine work. I know you gotta cut the cross members and remove from firewall brackets, but what could I do for axles, using the stock accord shafts with H22 CVs? I'm not good at welding but I'm gonna try my best for mounts. Is there any templates or mount kits at all? I know people say you gotta stiffen up the suspension, but I think that's fucking shit cause a stock CRX took in an H22 with nothing but lowering springs. It will just sit a bit lowering. The H22 is only about 75lbs more then a B20 LS VTEC.

I'm willing to do it and so is the owner of the car. He is paying me good money too, so I'm gonna try and get her done. All I've read up to now is no one has ever finished one. I am going to finish it.

Thanks guys.

B16KILLA
01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Here are some pix of an h22 in a 3g I jacked the pix from some fake ass newb claiming to have this car.I dont recall whos car this is, first pic is the front mount
http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frontmountbrokenstud6wh.jpg
heres the tranny mount
http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=transmountoverview6jq.jpg
and the rear mount
http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rearmountclearance2vb.jpg

I think thats all i have if i find more i'll post them for you.But as far as how to on the swap and parts like shift linkage and axels i dont know.

snoopyloopy
01-31-2006, 06:54 PM
if you get this done, i think you'll be the first person on the board to do it. at least in any bit of recency. but, unlike the rest of the people asking about doing an h22 3g, it sounds like you have an idea of what you're doing and can get it done. so make sure to take lots of pix and update us as you go along. so we can finally have something to show the rest of the kids asking about the swap.

SQ is the SQUAD
01-31-2006, 08:31 PM
try not to ask too many questions about it here, youll only get flamed. but if you know how to weld and your filmilar with swaping, it shouldent be that hard

2drSE-i
01-31-2006, 08:43 PM
no, no kits whatsoever. get good at welding cuz thats what it will take for those mounts. accord half shafts and h22 cv's may work, no1 has tried it i dont think. as for linkages......i have no idea. welcome to the board, and good luck with the swap.
btw, you will have to stiffen the suspension. our cars are not CRX's, our spring rates, frames, etc etc etc are completely different.

HondaBoy
01-31-2006, 10:32 PM
i think its called you need to get custom shit made. cv axles, mounts, some wiring, fuel plumbimg would be good to redo, maybe a smaller radiator than the accords for space but higher flow with easier cooling. i'd say go ahead and get that suspension put on, it will be a 17 year old suspension thats probley a bit sloppy. i'd definately get some custom caliper mounts made for larger calipers and rotors to be installed because the brakes it comes with a fine for stock, but ya know how that goes. anyway, if you actually do go through with it please for the love of god show us some legit pictures because most people that talk about swaps bs it all the way to make us think they really did it.

Accordtheory
01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I looked up what you guys had, but was unimpressed with the info.

I'm not good at welding but I'm gonna try my best for mounts.

I know people say you gotta stiffen up the suspension, but I think that's fucking shit

. I am going to finish it.
Thanks guys.

I don't care about impressing you, but read my thread 'how to swap in a b series without a kit'. The same kind of shit is basically what you'll be doing.

You're not good at welding? Then sorry, but unless you improve or know someone else who is, you're not going to get this done. You'll have to weld in brackets for the mounts, fab the mounts themselves, and fab the shift setup.

As far as the suspension, I'm inclined to agree with you, I don't think the h22 can be that much heavier than the a20. The cast iron a20 is heavy.

You're going to finish it? Well, now it's your turn to impress, you better not puss out.

ludesrv
02-01-2006, 05:56 AM
The linkage I can probably fab up something. I helped fab up linkage for an H22 powered CRX, and I helped fab up linkage for a K20A powered EG. By the way, anyone thought about throwing a K into a 3rd gen? That would rock!

Anyways. I'm more worried about the clutch cable situation. I'm concidering converting to hydro. I have access to 3 proffessional machinist who would give me awesome deals, and it helps that I'm a student for mechanical engineering (Degree, not diploma :P ). I'm more worried about the angle of the driveshafts and balance of the engine concidering the clearance of the vehicle. I don't want the shafts out of allignment so that they pop easily like they do on my prelude, horrible allignment on a slammed 93 SRV. I told the owner to get me some new shocks and a harsh coilover to hold up everything without harsh play. As for the mounts, I'll probably custom make mounts to fit stock prelude mounts, then I'll get the hardened inserts to make everything stiff.

The owners gave me the keys about 54 minutes ago, I got till August he said, so hopefully he can find all the cash to finish this project. I'm assuming the front cross member needs a cut to make it all happen. Big headers, but a few of us have made custom headers to go around things, such as a K20 swap in the EG, we did that about 2 years ago, so there was no aftermarket support yet. I'll be sure to take tons of snaps for ya, hopefully if the owner doesn't back out and just get a B swap, I'll have some sort of write up.

In a sense I want him to back out to make my life easier, but I do love a challenge...adleast he handed over his 5 speed one, and not his automatic one.

Accordtheory
02-01-2006, 06:45 PM
What is so much more difficult about the h series compared to the b series when you're fabbing all the same shit, hammering the shit out your engine bay in the same places, and swapping axles anyway?

gfrg88
02-01-2006, 08:08 PM
yeah thats true no diiference really, a b swap would still need everything custom..... good luck and keep us posted

Legend_master
02-01-2006, 08:35 PM
The linkage I can probably fab up something. I helped fab up linkage for an H22 powered CRX, and I helped fab up linkage for a K20A powered EG. By the way, anyone thought about throwing a K into a 3rd gen? That would rock!
Anyways. I'm more worried about the clutch cable situation. I'm concidering converting to hydro. I have access to 3 proffessional machinist who would give me awesome deals, and it helps that I'm a student for mechanical engineering (Degree, not diploma :P ). I'm more worried about the angle of the driveshafts and balance of the engine concidering the clearance of the vehicle. I don't want the shafts out of allignment so that they pop easily like they do on my prelude, horrible allignment on a slammed 93 SRV. I told the owner to get me some new shocks and a harsh coilover to hold up everything without harsh play. As for the mounts, I'll probably custom make mounts to fit stock prelude mounts, then I'll get the hardened inserts to make everything stiff.
The owners gave me the keys about 54 minutes ago, I got till August he said, so hopefully he can find all the cash to finish this project. I'm assuming the front cross member needs a cut to make it all happen. Big headers, but a few of us have made custom headers to go around things, such as a K20 swap in the EG, we did that about 2 years ago, so there was no aftermarket support yet. I'll be sure to take tons of snaps for ya, hopefully if the owner doesn't back out and just get a B swap, I'll have some sort of write up.
In a sense I want him to back out to make my life easier, but I do love a challenge...adleast he handed over his 5 speed one, and not his automatic one.

Here you go

http://www.robearracing.com/misc_images/innbanner.jpg

ludesrv
02-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Hey you found them! Finally. We were gonna convert to Hydro but fuck, if we can keep cable it reduces the headaches. I knew they were some I just couldn't find them. I think HASport made them but they don't look like they are anymore.

But since I'm in school for engineering, I'm gonna fab one up in my machine class so that the labor is free, and the school pays for the material.

2drSE-i
02-02-2006, 02:55 PM
your in a machine class and you dont know how to weld?! just jackin with ya bro

snoopyloopy
02-02-2006, 06:49 PM
By the way, anyone thought about throwing a K into a 3rd gen? That would rock!
i've thought about it. that's about as far as it got. i lack cash, space, or the skills to get it done anytime soon.

ludesrv
02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
your in a machine class and you dont know how to weld?! just jackin with ya bro

My machine class is for Engineering. Mainly, we are getting the idea of how a machinist thinks so I can design a better part that is easier and cheaper to produce.

Welding, I basically have a welder at my disposal and I periodically weld by myself.

Oldblueaccord
02-02-2006, 11:22 PM
I think your going about it the right way so far.

The mounts you can make templates outta card board or shit even plywood and take them to a place and tell em to make it outta steel. Depending what kinda school your going to you could con some other students into doing it for you even.

The thing that would be a challage to me would be the wiring and computer stuff.

If I were to do it I would get the whole computer and harness for the H22 and just run that in the car. The old stuff would go. Most of the motor importers sell the stuff that way anyway. You could run the computer up into the glove box or something till you get it running right.

There a better web site that has better pictures I will link it to you when I can find it. I dont think you need to mess with the radiator at all but the AC might need to be chucked.

I wouldn't mess with much performance mods till I had the motor in there and ready to roll unless, say, you hadda have headers to make it fit or something like that.

wp

Legend_master
02-02-2006, 11:49 PM
What is so much more difficult about the h series compared to the b series when you're fabbing all the same shit, hammering the shit out your engine bay in the same places, and swapping axles anyway?

dude, you need to try this swap. I bet space would be a bitch.

http://www.honda-klub.dk/data/cache/5/9/640x480.98af8de5.32795.jpg

ludesrv
02-03-2006, 09:57 AM
I think your going about it the right way so far.
The mounts you can make templates outta card board or shit even plywood and take them to a place and tell em to make it outta steel. Depending what kinda school your going to you could con some other students into doing it for you even.
The thing that would be a challage to me would be the wiring and computer stuff.
If I were to do it I would get the whole computer and harness for the H22 and just run that in the car. The old stuff would go. Most of the motor importers sell the stuff that way anyway. You could run the computer up into the glove box or something till you get it running right.
There a better web site that has better pictures I will link it to you when I can find it. I dont think you need to mess with the radiator at all but the AC might need to be chucked.
I wouldn't mess with much performance mods till I had the motor in there and ready to roll unless, say, you hadda have headers to make it fit or something like that.
wp

You NEVER, EVER EVER!!! change a wiring harness. You simply convert yours to the correct computer. I've done it a few times and I am confident I can do it. I wired an ODB0 Civic to have an OBD1 H22A. I've also done the OBD2 to OBD1 conversion. OBD1 is the best wiring harness for honda tuning.

We are keeping the engine stock, for now.

Oldblueaccord
02-03-2006, 02:52 PM
http://www.geocities.com/rick_spiff/car/index.html

I use his cars picture as my computer back ground.

wp

Accordtheory
02-03-2006, 06:49 PM
dude, you need to try this swap. I bet space would be a bitch.
http://www.honda-klub.dk/data/cache/5/9/640x480.98af8de5.32795.jpg
What the hell is that??
Whatever, I bet I'll put down 3x the whp of that setup..

Legend_master
02-03-2006, 07:25 PM
What the hell is that??
Whatever, I bet I'll put down 3x the whp of that setup..

c27a out of an 88-89 legend.