PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt broke..... help wanted

87preludeA20A3
01-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Ok well i was driving the car and it drove fine for like 20 miles today fine.... and all of the sudden like a block from my house going around a corner at only like 10 mi/hr the car dies... I turn the conrner, stop and try to start the engine again and nothing. It sounds like no compression. Take the top timing belt cover off and the thing just pulls right out into my hands... What i want to ask you guys is what should i do at this point besides compression check first, timing belt if compression is good and valve cover. Also valve last check and other basic checks( oil pump, timing belt stuff)..... Keep in mind that i'm on a budget because i'm in the middle of a complete spare engine rebuild w/ turbo... Let me know you opinions... Thanks alot..

Deadhead
01-31-2006, 08:30 PM
save yourself the headache and get a new motor... I'm willing to bet that you bent up your valves pretty good. especially since you tried to start the car after the belt snapped.

There will be people to comment and tell you that this motor is not an interferance motor... which is total BS. There have been a few cases that the valves' haven't been bent, but more likely than not, you have some internal damage.

87preludeA20A3
01-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Well that is worst case senario but if that is the case luckley i have a brand new rebuilt head sitting aside for my turbo build but that sucks because it wasn't rebuilt for this motor.... but it is what it is... Thanks for conservative input.

87preludeA20A3
01-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Well that is worst case senario but if that is the case luckley i have a brand new rebuilt head sitting aside for my turbo build but that sucks because it wasn't rebuilt for this motor.... but it is what it is... Thanks for conservative input.

Honda-Master
01-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Ok well i was driving the car and it drove fine for like 20 miles today fine.... and all of the sudden like a block from my house going around a corner at only like 10 mi/hr the car dies... I turn the conrner, stop and try to start the engine again and nothing. It sounds like no compression. Take the top timing belt cover off and the thing just pulls right out into my hands... What i want to ask you guys is what should i do at this point besides compression check first, timing belt if compression is good and valve cover. Also valve last check and other basic checks( oil pump, timing belt stuff)..... Keep in mind that i'm on a budget because i'm in the middle of a complete spare engine rebuild w/ turbo... Let me know you opinions... Thanks alot..

first off you cannot chk compression first, as you said if timing belt is broken........remove the valve cover and move the rocker arms up and down and chk the lift they have ,you will know if you got a bent valve or 2 ....

83-87 preludes is a 75-25 % that it WILL bent valves ,,, for your sake i hope you are on the 25%.........

B16KILLA
01-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Well if your valves are bent i will sell you an extra head i have in my garage it's used but it works.It's got about 120,000 on it.Make me an offer if you need it.:wave:

Where in so cal are you?If you have another car you should come to the meet on th fourth,check the thread.

87preludeA20A3
01-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah i was planning to go to that but it will have to depend on the out come of this... but i have to say no on the head, not only because i already have a new rebuilt one but because this is my only car and i need it fixed pretty soon. Doesn't it suck to have only one car.....

B16KILLA
01-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Having only one car does suck ass,but like all things time and money are the biggest factor....I say you put another timing belt and and see what happens.

Oldblueaccord
02-01-2006, 02:05 AM

Slap a belt on it real quick and do a compression test or better yet run it. seems easy enough.

wp

buds302
02-01-2006, 04:10 AM
now hold up here. i bought my car from the junkyard. and the timing belt was already broke. i did not try to start it cause it was plainly visible that it wass broke. but i took it home and all i did was put a new timing belt on and it still runs to this day! its been 3 years now. no bent valves no nuthin. and i didnt buy the motor i bought the whole car. but now the motor is in an 87 hatchback and my car is back in the junkyard i bought it from!

spnrx
02-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Hate to be the know nothing noob but where is the timing belt and how difficult is it to change?

B16KILLA
02-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Right side of the engine,little plastic cover on the end of the valve cover,i think that their a bitch to change i dint know about n e 1 else.

Deadhead
02-01-2006, 03:00 PM
I hear they aren't as bad as you think... you just have to take off one of the motor mounts.

my86dx4dr
02-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Thats why toyota motors are so great, well most of them. they'r Non interference motors, you can break timing belts all day.

87preludeA20A3
02-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Ha ha ha Good news so far... Slapped a belt on in like 1 hr 1/2 and fired her right up. She runs great. But i have to tear it down again tomorrow to replace belt tensioner because it is bad. But i worked to fir it up.. As for driving it i havent done that yet but everything seems great. Got sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo luckey. I will update more after i drive it.

Oldblueaccord
02-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Thats why toyota motors are so great, well most of them. they'r Non interference motors, you can break timing belts all day.

to bad most of them are chains but thats a good thought:eek5:

wp

Deadhead
02-01-2006, 07:36 PM
hey, good to see you got lucky... keep us updated.

87preludeA20A3
02-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Hey yeah i just noticed you have 250K on your motor Deadhead.. i forgot to mention that mine has like 244,400 something so i hope it will last forever like these motors do so well...

Deadhead
02-01-2006, 09:01 PM
well... coming up on 253k actually :D

but thanks for reminding me, i need to update the sig once again.

88Accord-DX
02-04-2006, 07:34 AM
There will be people to comment and tell you that this motor is not an interferance motor... which is total BS..
There are some cases of valves contacting the piston. Since I've seen my valve releifs on top of my pistons, I'll have to say I agree there is minimal chance of the valve hitting the piston.

buds302
02-04-2006, 12:27 PM
I hear they aren't as bad as you think... you just have to take off one of the motor mounts.
and spend a while getting the crank pulley off. or if all else fails cut the lower timing cover off. i did that !

Oldblueaccord
02-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Just to hog on this a little I have a theroy.

I have a head in my garage right now on a bucket. If you flip it over and look and the valve faces there all closed. Every see a head with a few open? I cant say i ever have.

My theory is that the valve springs tend to force the valves closed or very closed to closed if there allowed to free wheel. So when your belt snaps/slips the springs tend to force the valves closed enough that there is no piston contact or very very little.

wp