PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal Problem...

2ndGenGuy
02-01-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm having trouble trying to remove the gauge cluster out of my 84 LX Sedan. The damn thing doesn't seem to actually be able to come out through the front, as it seems a bit too big. I searched all throug the forums, and found that a couple people have actually done a swap on this car, but I coudln't find how to do it.

I have the useless Chilton's manual, and it says remove the bezel from in front of the cluster, which was a piece of cake. Then it says remove the 4 screws around the gauge cluster and just pull it out. I removed the 4 screws, and the cluster is free, but I can't seem to pull the damn thing out. It seems to hit at the top and the bottom.

I unscrewed the two metal tabs at the bottom thinking that they might have been keeping it from coming out, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I've tried pulling it out at every angle I can think of, but it just seems like its too big to come out through the hole.

Any suggestions or tricks on getting this thing out? I'm mega-frustrated. Thanks.

3rdgenhatchDX
02-01-2006, 04:10 PM
yes. get a haynes manual specific to your car.

SteveDX89
02-01-2006, 05:36 PM
So you have the bezel off. The Haynes manual just says to pull the cluster out once you get the 4 screws holding the cluster in. If it's hitting, maybe you have to try to tilt it a little to get it out.

offthahook
02-01-2006, 06:00 PM
It is an extremely tight fit and you might need a puller to get it out, but it does come out the front. I thought you had to drop the steering column slightly to get to some screws. Good luck! I know I tried to get an 85 cluster out years ago and couldn't get it out. I know it can be done.

2ndGenGuy
02-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. The Chiltons says just pull it out too. I've tried so many different angles and pulling in wierd directions. I even thought that maybe the speedo cable was holding it in, so I pulled the cable off the transmission and pushed it through, no luck still though.

I'm at least glad to hear that I don't have to pull the whole dash! I'll keep trying and post how it goes. If I get it out, I'll put up some pics and maybe a quick how-to in case somebody has problems like this in the future.

PhydeauX
02-04-2006, 10:49 AM
I've had mine out several time. Whats keeping it from coming out is the speedo cable. There is 0 slack in it behind the cluster. You can usually get some wiggle room by going under the hood and pusing the cable back through the fire wall. Disconnecting it from the trans makes it easier, but it can be a pain to get it back on. I used to have pictures but they were lost long ago. It's been a while since I did it but if I remember right you get the speedo cable off you have to sqeeze the 2 tabs on either side of the connector and wiggle it out. Its a pain because you can't really see what you are doing.

andy

2ndGenGuy
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I actually did try pulling the cable off of the transmission. I pushed it through the firewall and had plenty of slack inside the car. The problem is that its taller than the hole even when the bezel is removed. Am I supposed to tilt it forward or in some wierd direction? I can't even get my hands in behind it, because it won't come forward even a little bit... it hits at the top or at the bottom. I'll keep trying though... I'm sure I can get it. :) Thanks for the help.

Bglad420
02-04-2006, 07:43 PM
OK I recently did a heater core on my GF's 2g, and I had to pull the gauges out a million times.....From experience easiest way....

Pull all 4 yes four bolts from the steering column and lay it on the floor so itas entirely out of the way.

Pull off the trim around the cluster

Push the cluter in, and tip the top out towards you and wiggle it out, you shouldn't have to unhook any wires its tight but it will come once it pops out just pull the bottom out and your home free.....reverse for instalation...

Bglad420
02-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Another thing not to be hatin' but why do you guys use those crappy chiltons and Haynes manuals.....why not get a real Honda one way more useful........

If you like I can scan what the book says for cluster removal for you out of the HONDA manual

offthahook
02-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Another thing not to be hatin' but why do you guys use those crappy chiltons and Haynes manuals.....why not get a real Honda one way more useful........
If you like I can scan what the book says for cluster removal for you out of the HONDA manual

Actually, I have all three for my 84. One of the non Honda books mentions that it is an extremely tight fit (cluster in dash). Usually, Honda books are FAR better, but the aftermarket ones sometimes offer up "hints" that the Helm's books don't. I like how the Honda ones are model and year specific though. Between Haynes, Chilton, and Helms I'm covered! Gotta plug the 2G again!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2166512 The manuals I have for this car have saved me a grip of money and time!

2ndGenGuy
02-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Drop the steering column eh? I didn't really think of that. I guess that would free up a ton of space to get that sucker out of there. I'll give that another try tonight... Thanks again!

Oh yeah, and I think I'll pick up a Honda manual too.

2ndGenGuy
02-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Ok so that worked! I dropped the steering column this weekend and the gauges came out really easy. Thanks for the help everybody.