PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd Gen LX Sedan Pics

2ndGenGuy
02-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Here's a couple pics of my 1984 Accord LX. It's pretty much stock, it did get a nice new paintjob and some rims.
http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/honda-eastern-wa/00005.jpg
Showin' off the Acura rims. (Stpuid shirt ruined picture)
http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/honda-eastern-wa/00008.jpg
I need to learn how to use my camera a bit better...
http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/honda2/dscf0001.jpg
Showin' the Accord a little love. Stripped the hood and roof with aircraft stripper. Removed everything off the body, sandblasted off all the rust, and filled in those nasty door dings. You woudln't even know from the first two pics, but my friend's dad smashed in the entire driver's side with his '96 Accord while my car was parked.
http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/honda-eastern-wa/00001.jpg
255,000 miles, and runs excellent!
Hope you enjoyed the pics. I know I've enjoyed the crap out of these forums, especially all the sweet engine swaps in the 2nd Gens.

SteveDX89
02-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Looks great man.

Cheeseburger
02-01-2006, 04:22 AM
sexy!!!

aerokid1987
02-01-2006, 05:54 AM
Way cool man! That is one hot girl!

EricW
02-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Thats Hot! Good work.

Deadhead
02-01-2006, 08:24 AM
i assume your speedo is broken right? if not, that's a good quality picture for going 110 mph lol

looks very very nice... great work.

Did the 2g's come in EFI at all?

2ndGenGuy
02-01-2006, 08:55 AM
No the speedo's not broken. :) That was me downhill on a really long stretch with a tailwind.

And yeah, the 85 SEi came with EFI. They're very rare. Came with alloys, leather, and a sunroof.

aerokid1987
02-01-2006, 09:11 AM
No the speedo's not broken. :) That was me downhill on a really long stretch with a tailwind.

And yeah, the 85 SEi came with EFI. They're very rare. Came with alloys, leather, and a sunroof.

Sweet!! I want one!

carotman
02-01-2006, 10:04 AM
One of these days, I'm going to get myself a 2nd gen.

We rarely see them up here. They were eaten by car cancer :(

I love the oldschool look on those.

HondaBoy
02-01-2006, 10:52 AM
i remember finding a 2nd gen accord a long ass time ago that was the SE-i at the junk yard. didnt know what i was lookin at whenever that was. there's a 2nd gen SE-i running around town that i tried to buy but they wanted too much for. its a grey one. your 2nd gen look really clean.

Bglad420
02-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Arent 2g garbage??? Way underpowered, and clumbsy cars, my gf had a 2g hatch, and my cousin had sedans, I hated them. But all and all your car looks pretty good, nice ans shiny.

2ndGenGuy
02-01-2006, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't say they're garbage. Maybe not quite as improved as a 3g, but not really all that different mechanically. Sure, they're a bit rust prone, but they still run forever as does almost any Honda.

Selfmindead
02-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Thats a very clean car! Loving your wheels :eek5:

1ajs
02-01-2006, 04:30 PM
hey kool nice 2g lol my dad used to have a red one till my mother fliped it on black ice in 87 at 80mph over steerd then we bought the 3gee. my dad miss's his 2g lol says it handled better then the 3gee. i see a 2gee at least once a week lol either blue or white. but the last time i saw one at the recors it looked like it had died from a roll over and rust was red shame and this fall i had decided to walk home from downtown and walked along water front drive and the police was pulling cars off the river bed lol and saw a red 2gee now that was sad site but i looked over it lol i am sure the police were looking at me funny when i was dooing this lol anyhow your 2g looks clean and the shirts in the shot make it look so period lol

also the key my dad uses for the 3gee is from are 2gee lol

snoopyloopy
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
that second pic looks like a shot that you'd seen in a brochure or something. really does the car justice. especially after seeing the 3rd pic.

Shadowkat
02-01-2006, 06:52 PM
damn that's nice! I want one now too. I saw an 83 in the jy just last weekend, it was pretty sweet, but it made me sad that it was junked.:sad2: 83's are 2nd gen too right?

russiankid
02-01-2006, 06:53 PM
clean!!!!!!!nice cell phone, just like mine,lmao

Ichiban
02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Welcome!

2ndGenGuy
02-02-2006, 12:43 AM
I saw an 83 in the jy just last weekend, it was pretty sweet, but it made me sad that it was junked. 83's are 2nd gen too right?

Yeah they're 2nd gen. Although I remember someone here calling it a Mk1 2nd Gen vs. mine which he called a Mk2 2nd Gen. They look almost the same, just slightly updated. Quite more modern looking though.

I want a 2g hood. =(

The hood looks cool, until you wanna work on your car. But its actually pretty easy to take off, I do it all the time.

Bglad420
02-02-2006, 12:55 AM
I hate how the 2g hood folds foward!! Drives me crazy trying to work on the Gf's car....I just want to fold the peice of shit over the front of the car then grab the 2x4 I hit everyone in the mouth with and smash the POS but.....

Yours is probally the nicest 2g ive seen so i gotta give props for the work....also I gotta ask why didn't you get a hatch and fix that up instead??

2ndGenGuy
02-02-2006, 01:29 AM
I gotta ask why didn't you get a hatch and fix that up instead??

I actually didn't pick out the car. When I was 17, my Plymouth Sundance crapped out 2 weeks before Christmas. I had just spent all my money on presents, and still being in high school, didn't have the money to buy a new or used car. My dad surprised me with this one, he paid for a big chunk of the car, and arranged payments with the owner for me. He fixed a few things on it, detailed it and surprised me Christmas day with it.

I also can't take all the credit for the paint and bodywork. My dad is a professional bodyman and painter and has done show quality work. He laid out all the primer and paint, but he showed me how to do all the bondo work (by making me do it), metal grinding and sandblasting, etc. Plus I saved up and paid for all the materials.

Even after all the work I did on that project myself, I don't think I could ever do it nearly as well without him.

Bglad420
02-02-2006, 02:15 AM
You going to the Seattle meet??

catalin
02-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Car looks good but what's in the dash of that bike? Above the gauges? Looks like a custom pod for something??

phrenology
02-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Maybe not quite as improved as a 3g, but not really all that different mechanically...

The A20A block architecture is the same as the ES2...The A20 is just a bored out ES2 block with a non-CVCC 2.0L Head...so technically the ES2 is a 16 valve SOHC head that's more complex than the A20 stock head. If you were a CVCC nut you could put an ES2 head on an A20 block and get higher CR too, but I'm not the most CVCC savy individual. The ES2 also suffered from a finicky 3bbl carb, more vacuum control and emissions control junk, than the A20. The 2G (82-85) Accords did suffer from an antiquated suspension in the form of Mcpherson strut design up front and single wishbone in the rear, as opposed to you 3gs with your trailing arms.

:wave:

phrenology
02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah they're 2nd gen. Although I remember someone here calling it a Mk1 2nd Gen vs. mine which he called a Mk2 2nd Gen. They look almost the same, just slightly updated. Quite more modern looking though.

The hood looks cool, until you wanna work on your car. But its actually pretty easy to take off, I do it all the time.

Hahaha, how easily you guys forget about 2g Accords...maybe Phydeaux and I just haven't been on here enough...it was me with the whole Mk1 and Mk2 2g thing. I see 2g Accords in San Francisco everyday driving around. Pretty good for 20+ cars. Some days I see more 2gs than 3gs...my car would be right at home.

Checkout this beauty:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/phrenology/AccordSE1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/phrenology/AccordSE2.jpg

This is a rare bird in the Audubon Accord book. Its a mint condition 82-83 2g Mk1 SE (not Se-i)...it must have been customized from the factory with leather interior, sunroof, alloys and all the trimmings, buts its no FI for sure. I didn't know these existed until I saw it for real. :eek5:

2ndGenGuy
02-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Wow that one is really nice. Can't say I've ever seen one that clean. A buddy of mine had a grey 85 LX that was almost perfect except for a big dent in the roof where a shipping company had ratcheted a tie down across the car. It was all original and had no rust on it. The grey interior is SO much nicer than blue interior. If I could find a car with a grey interior that was in nice shape, I would swap it out in a heartbeat.

Yeah, now I remember reading you saying the whole Mk1, Mk2 thing. I've read a ton of your posts on here, yours and Phydeaux's. There's more 2g info on this site than I have ever been able to find anywhere.

Bglad420
02-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey 2nd Gen you gonna go to the Seattle meet @ gameworks??? You too Catlain

2ndGenGuy
02-02-2006, 01:21 PM
what's in the dash of that bike? Above the gauges? Looks like a custom pod for something??

You are correct, that is a place to put in gauges, or whatever you want. It's an aftermarket fairing. So its there for ya if you need it. :)

phrenology
02-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Wow that one is really nice. Can't say I've ever seen one that clean. A buddy of mine had a grey 85 LX that was almost perfect except for a big dent in the roof where a shipping company had ratcheted a tie down across the car. It was all original and had no rust on it. The grey interior is SO much nicer than blue interior. If I could find a car with a grey interior that was in nice shape, I would swap it out in a heartbeat.

Yeah, now I remember reading you saying the whole Mk1, Mk2 thing. I've read a ton of your posts on here, yours and Phydeaux's. There's more 2g info on this site than I have ever been able to find anywhere.

Haha welcome to the "black sheep" Accord users family. You'll find a lot of 2g lovin' and hatin' on this forum. I think between Phydeaux, Rjudgey, myself and handful of others on here you will find all of the 2g info you need. I just made a myspace group for 2nd Genaration Accord owners. BTW I have most or all of the grey interior from my second Accord LX sedan but its all in Florida. I know I have the seats and dash for sure. Look for an 85 Se-i with leather seats...that's the gold mine. We found one in FL and now have near mint 85 OEM leather seats in the sedan.

There are plenty of DIY mods for our cars. If you find an Se-i take the hubs, knuckles and spindles first...they are bigger than the LX ones and allow you to use direct Se-i shafts with an A20 and stock A20 tranny. That's how we accomplished the swap on my hatchback. You can do a rear disc swap too despite the fact they never made them for 2g Accord, not even the 85 Se-i. Well hit me up with PM for more info or email me. I'm glad to see you love your 2g Accord. :wave:

Here is the 2nd gen Accord Users Group: http://groups.myspace.com/Accord2G

87accordHB
02-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I Got Parts If Your Looking For Some. Many Parts.......

SQ is the SQUAD
02-02-2006, 02:29 PM
am i the only one who noticed the ufo?

http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/honda2/dscf0001.jpg

nice car, really clean. i would have never know it was redone. i thought it was orignial

1ajs
02-02-2006, 03:07 PM
thats not a ufo its an orb...... there its not a ufo any more...

blazin3gen
02-02-2006, 06:05 PM
that is the 2nd best 2nd gen ive ever seen in my life thats fucken awesome bro i had one too that was my first car they freaken rock get some gts head light covers they look mad pimp i had some on my gen2 when i had it

props bro

blazin3gen
02-02-2006, 06:08 PM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1796/accord9im.jpg

i still love this one

Ichiban
02-02-2006, 06:24 PM
as soon as i clean up the 600 miles of weld on my quarterpanels i'll get some pics of my 82 2gen up here...i'll dig around and see what i have.

2ndGenGuy
02-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Phrenology has really got me thinking about doing an A20 engine swap now. I have been so skeptical about doing it myself for fear of having to have parts fabricated or running into some wierd incompatability that would require expensive custom made adatpers.

After reading through these forums though, It doesn't sound too bad. As said above, SEi hubs, knuckles, spindles and shafts, and sounds like it will all fit right into the A20 tranny and engine, which will bolt right into my engine compartment! Aaah I'm so excited now. I'm also excited to get rid of that horrible carb and all that emissions crap that makes my car such a nightmare to work on!
------------------------

That white 2nd gen above is actually really sweet. The guy put in a serious competition stereo system and was travelling around the country winning awards.

I wish I knew how he lowered it and exactly how much he dropped it. I love that look when the tires are flush with the wheel wells. I read in another thread that I need to learn to love the wheel gap. I don't know if I can...

phrenology
02-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Eibach used to make lower springs for the 2G but they don't anymore. Somewhere I have a link for a company that still does. Another option is that you can do what I did. Buy a set of generic coil-overs that fit around our big ass struts and make a set of pedestals to seat them on inside the welded "cups" on the struts, otherwise it will sit a bit crooked. Since we have no camber adjustment its a bit tricky to lower it just right without fucking up the whole suspension. Chopping the springs sucks. I did it up front with a pair of aftermarket springs with a stronger spring rate but they don't sit in the cups correctly unless you reshape the spring. Eventually I wanted to experiment with adapting the multilink system from the 3g into the 2g but the body parts are way too wide and it requires a lot of calculating, welding, and trimming.

I think the best compromise with the suspension is to make your own coil-over/strut combo. Get a pair of stock Showa struts, if you can still find them get a pair of Koni adjustable inserts. Cut the guts out of the Showas and install the Konis. Then trim the stock spring "cup" seat off of the strut housing and weld on a disc pedestal at the proper angle to catch a pair of
3g or other ready made import coilovers of the right height and you're good to go. Well that's my solution anyway. Hmm let me know if you have any other questions or ideas about 2g Accords. If you haven't then you should join the myspace group I made for us. http://groups.myspace.com/Accord2G

BTW the A20 will drop right into your engine bay with stock mounts or you can swap in a JDM B20 no sweat. I recommend modifying your front cross member to take the 3g hydro front mount but its not necessary. You don't need 85 se-i shafts to complete the swap you can make bastard shafts with 2G shafts, 2G out-board "cups" and 3G in-board "cups". You can also buy new or rebuild 85 Se-i shafts but not the Se-i knuckles, hubs, and bearings...only a junkyard or high price dealership has those. Also to save you the trouble use a 3G Accord 5-speed EQ25 transmission, an auto won't fit in the engine bay without cutting it.

Ichiban
02-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm stuck with the early 2g front end so i have to make a motor mount and a convoluted exhaust header to clear the x member. i'm still dubious of the reliability of the bastard shaft combo, but time will tell once i get it together. it'll either live or fly apart on the highway...what a way to find out.

2ndGenGuy
02-06-2006, 12:55 PM
So... since I have no idea about making a bastard shaft, would the SE-i shafts work? I'm looking to do mostly bolt up everything. I've never done an engine swap, and I'm going to try and keep it as simple as I can for my first try. I'm going to buy the Weber DGEV carb kit from Pierce Manifolds (http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Images/Catalog/K728.htm) for the A20 and bolt that on. Once I learn more, and feel more confident in my mechanincal skills, then I'll go for some more serious upgrades. Maybe even a B series engine.

Its going to be fun trying to find those SEi knuckes and hubs around here. I'm just hoping the wrecking yard near here that specializes in Hondas will have one. I bought those dual carbs for the Prelude from them, for the ET1 engine I think, with some wild idea that I would put just swap them on. I'm definitely not going to do that though...

Phrenology: I joined into your MySpace group a couple days ago, but haven't been back on that site in a few days. I'll send ya a message on there.

Cheeseburger
02-06-2006, 01:04 PM
any engines pics dude???? ur car looks really mint

2ndGenGuy
02-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Heh, actually I have no engine pics yet. I'll take some tonight. I painted my valve cover red and thats about all I've done under there. I still need to grind down the lines that are raised where is says "Honda 12-Valve" :p

Speaking of 12 valves, does anybody know why there appear to be 16 valves when I take off the valve cover? I've read something about an auxillary intake valve, but if its a valve, auxillary or not, its still a valve. Does it have something to do with the CVCC system?

Ichiban
02-06-2006, 03:32 PM
for the bastard shaft combo i used:
-82 accord shafts and outer joints
-87 accord inner cv cups
-82 accord inner tripods
-The "bearings" inside the inner joint are identical between the 2 and 3 gen, i miked 'em out to make sure.
-i haven't figured out which boots to use yet.

the problem i see with the bastard shaft combo is that the 3g inner cups are slightly wider inside than the 2g cups were, thus causing the bearing inside to ride slightly more towards the end of each trunnion on the 2g tripod. you can't use the larger 3g tripod as the splines are different and won't work on the end of the 2g shaft.

for the SE-i front end swap, i believe phrenology used:
-Se-i knuckles
-Se-i lower a-arms
-se-i cv shafts
-3g 5 speed tranny

I'm not sure if the lower arms are interchangeable or not, or why they are different (length, ball joint, attachment points for sway bar etc) Lyle?

Accord90
02-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Hahaha, how easily you guys forget about 2g Accords...maybe Phydeaux and I just haven't been on here enough...it was me with the whole Mk1 and Mk2 2g thing. I see 2g Accords in San Francisco everyday driving around. Pretty good for 20+ cars. Some days I see more 2gs than 3gs...my car would be right at home.
Checkout this beauty:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/phrenology/AccordSE1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/phrenology/AccordSE2.jpg
This is a rare bird in the Audubon Accord book. Its a mint condition 82-83 2g Mk1 SE (not Se-i)...it must have been customized from the factory with leather interior, sunroof, alloys and all the trimmings, buts its no FI for sure. I didn't know these existed until I saw it for real. :eek5:

Really clean lookin 2nd gen!!!! How many miles, doesnt look like it has too much. And there were a pretty good amount of Hondas around in those pictures, the CRV in the back along w/ the Civic behind your Accord, then theres the 5th gen Accord and the Odyssey waithing for the light in the back in that other pic

2ndGenGuy
02-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Ok, here is my engine compartment. I went ahead and sanded off the raised top on the valve cover. Didn't realize how much better that would make it look. Too bad the rest of the engine compartment is crammed with stuff. Makes it hard to take everything off and clean it up. Oh well, once that A20 is in with the Weber carb then it will be easy street!

http://localdomain.net/~john/pics/red-valve-cover-2-6-2006/engine.jpg