PDA

View Full Version : The Project Begins.....

BLck89accord
08-20-2002, 11:40 AM
As of now, my '89 Accord LX-i project officially begins. I've been driving it around since i got my license back in 2000, and never would have thought then to enhance the performance of it. Of course, back then, it was all about systems and that bullshit. In january of this year, i steeped onto the playing field by putting on a custom air intake. Many other minor mods followed, mainly accessories for looks. Never really had the money for performance parts of any kind because i never really had a job. However, now i have plenty of $$, and the fun begins. Last week i got my catback exhaust done, capped off with a bomz racing gt-spec muffler. This week i'm ordering and and installing a dc sports ceramic coat header. Within the next 2 weeks, I'm getting the head ported and polished. 8.5 mm ignition wires have been here, but i'm not rushed to put them on. By early to mid Sept., i'll have Jet's ECU upgrade in the car and rollin', and sometime between then and late october, i'll have a Zex Nitrous System (55 shot, nothing more......for now, until i get forged pistons and whatnot). After that, i'm planning on gettin a new fuel pump, new injectors, fuel rail, and possibly an performance intake manifold if i could find one. We shall see. Its going to be awesome though. We have a semi-stret racing community around here, 300-400 people go to a commuter lot each night and show off their rides, bragging and whatnot and telling every bit of info. about their cars. I'm into being the sleeper. Nobody will know about any of this until i'm blowing by them. What's even funnier is i'll most likely be able to stomp my friends Z28. Its all about the power to weight ratio between us. His car's over 4000 pounds and i figure mines in the 3 grand range. He's got about 310 horse, 280 at the wheels. When i'm done, or satisfied for the time being to say the least, i'll have around 250 horse, and something like 200 to 210 at the wheels. That will be enough to roll by him, have him shit a brick seeing an 89 accord pulling from his Z, and him never talk to me again. Ha Ha. There is almost nothing greater than an import, especially a 3 geez accord, beating a domestic. Anyways, those are my plans for now. I'll post pics and updates and whatnot, and let you guys know how things are going. In the meantime, you guys keep it real....and remember.....if everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.;) Peace yall.

netfreak
08-26-2002, 05:16 PM
I think the 88-89 EXi/LXi cars weighed around 2700 lbs.. pretty sure anyway.

AZmike
08-26-2002, 11:00 PM
1989 LX-i coupe has curb weight of 2646 lbs (mass 1200kg)according to the factory manual. includes 49 lb A/C

smufguy
08-28-2002, 05:32 PM
and how much is a denso compressor again? SHIT IS fuckign heavy.

smufguy
08-28-2002, 05:38 PM
by the way, its more downforce on your front wheels. hahahaha,

1989 DX R
08-28-2002, 06:40 PM
Sweet, I'm planning on getting some suspension parts and wheels before I add any power.

Then...

Im thinking of going with (is this even possible?) a swappable carb system...a regular 36/38 Weber DGV and then some DCOE lovin' like Phydeaux.

Then...

DC Sports header, hi-flow cat (or testpipe), 2.25" pipe all the way back, Dynomax Super Turbo at the end... 2.5" tip :)

Then...

New camshaft, cam gear, pistons, rods, bearings, P&P everything, new valves and springs, and balanced crank.

Then...

As I finally get finished with all that, I might throw some laughing gas for shits and giggles.

Interior will be replaced with (hopefully) SE-i level stuff...except for a nice black Recaro for my ass.

1988starter
08-29-2002, 06:51 AM
I hope you all get your DC headers soon and the backorder goes away.

jteuton
08-29-2002, 09:55 AM
You would have to go turbo to even come close to totally embarrising a z28. They have torque and run low to mid 14's stock. Lets say they do an aftercat and intake and plugs and few cheap performance mods then they are running high 13's. There is no way to get 250 at the crank without tearing apart the whole internals. Even a 55 shot on the stock a20a3 will take its toll. If you want anything above 200 horses you will for sure need forged pistons and fatter rods. Weight has a lot to do with it but they say figure a tenth sec for every extra 100lbs as a rule so he's around 1000'bs heavier so he at a second's disadvantage so to "tie" him you would still have to come up with 100 hp and gobs or torque that you will never be able to find in a 2.0l. I admire your dreams i'm just trying to point you in the right direction.....turbo........