PDA

View Full Version : HELP...car not starting

Bullfrog
08-20-2002, 12:47 PM
hey guys...i was wondering if you could help me out...i have a 89 lx-i accord and sometimes it does not want to start at all..like today i had to use paint thinner to start it:barf: ....it only happens sometimes but the rest of the time the car starts real hard...i canged the fuel filter,put gas cleaner in it and ran highest 93 octaine in it and it still doesnt work.i checked for spark fuel pressure and they are there and the car runs fine once its started..i really need sugestions and help....qestion 2 anyone have a carfax account that they could share or do a report for me PM me thanks..

:beer: <--me before working on car
:chainsaw: <-me when shit dont work right
:crying: <-me after working on car
:deal: <-me looking for new car

ACCORD EX
08-20-2002, 02:54 PM
does this happen when hot !! if yes it' propably your main relay ! :)

MIKE

87accordlxph
08-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Check your battery termals and posts for corrosion.

Did you tune her up?

-Mike

Bullfrog
08-20-2002, 03:39 PM
i just changed the oil air and fuel filter..what else do you need for a tune up?....main relay how would you test to see if that needs replased...ya it does happen i notice when its real warm....thanks guys still open for sugestions...
:banghead:

carotman
08-20-2002, 03:42 PM
I guess the main relay is the culprit

DBMaster
08-20-2002, 03:46 PM
When you turn the key to "on" (not start) you should hear a click from the dash and see the yellow engine light come on for about two seconds and then turn off. When it goes off you should hear a second click.

If what I have just described does not happen you can be pretty certain it's the main relay.

Later.

87accordlxph
08-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Sorry.

What I meant by a tune-up is replacing

spark plugs
spark plug wires
rotor and distributor cap
air filter (which you already did)

Something simple like this could fix this prob.
Maybe it is your fuel cut off relay if your interior gets too hot if screws up that relay.
Try early in the morning to start it when your interior is much cooler to test it as well.

-Mike

Bullfrog
08-20-2002, 04:57 PM
i know i should change the rotors and plugs and wires...but i get a good spark...as for the main relay..it might be the fuel relay also cuz i have to put starter fluid in the TB to get it started...when i turn the key the light does come on and then goes out so i think that is worknig well...the ecu aint putting any coades so i dont think that it is a sensor....ill keep and eye out to shee what weather it does it in..also when it does start it starts really really hard..like it is not gonig to start because it strains so much....umm anything else??...thanks ill keep a look out...still looking for a carfax account too...peace

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
08-20-2002, 06:08 PM
Since you need something like Parts Wash or Carb Fluid to start the vehicle, I would like at your fuel system. First thing, check your fuel filters. Second check the fuel pump. It maybe likely that it is failing intermittently.

When my fuel pump failed, I was able to momentarily start it with Carb. Fluid. My buddy who's a tech says that's a common sympton of a failing fuel pump.

Claude

Bullfrog
08-20-2002, 08:36 PM
its not the fuel filter or fuel pump they work fine....i started it no problem at night like at 11:00pm and it worked fine....i think its when it gets hot but i donno..mor sugestions welcome...

anchovies
08-20-2002, 08:53 PM
like many have said..it's probably the main relay
it's difficult to start when it's hot out

Bullfrog
08-20-2002, 09:04 PM
what about the fuel relay thing....anything maybe with that...i though the main relay was outside the car?

smufguy
08-21-2002, 04:49 AM
the main fuse is in the engine bay. but the main relay is under ur dash and its the most fucked up place to have a main relay too. its way way ywa up under the dash and near ur cruise control unit and the pwr antenna unit. check ur starter coil. check ur ground if its in good shape. if not, change it. and besides ur battery might be messed up too.

Bullfrog
08-21-2002, 11:53 AM
battery is good...ground is good...main relay is not found....where is the fuel relay also...

carotman
08-21-2002, 12:23 PM
there is no fuel relay on an LX-i (it's there on the carbed engines)

The main relay is fun to find... look above the antena motor.

ACCORD EX
08-21-2002, 12:43 PM
as if the antenna motor is so fucking easy to find ! :D

MIKE

87accordlxi
08-21-2002, 08:26 PM
could it possibly be moisture in the gas tank? that may explain why you have to use starting fluid to get things going.

or maybe the fuel rail could be dirty or somewhat blocked inside?

Bullfrog
08-23-2002, 07:40 PM
anyone else have any sugestions?