PDA

View Full Version : Project: H22A1 powered 88 LX

ludesrv
02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
I figured I might aswell start a project thread. I am gonna be throwing in an H22A1 out of a 93 SRV into my friends 88 Accord LX. We are currently waiting to things now. The engine to show up, and for more money to come in. We will take pictures of the car as it is right now, and the complete fab up, with a how to for you H22 lovers. I did alot of research, closest I found was someone got the engine in one, that it. I'll get mine to run. If the H22A1 falls thru we will throw in a H23A1 non vtec engine.

Stay posted, pics to come.

Legend_master
02-01-2006, 05:59 PM
I figured I might aswell start a project thread. I am gonna be throwing in an H22A1 out of a 93 SRV into my friends 88 Accord LX. We are currently waiting to things now. The engine to show up, and for more money to come in. We will take pictures of the car as it is right now, and the complete fab up, with a how to for you H22 lovers. I did alot of research, closest I found was someone got the engine in one, that it. I'll get mine to run. If the H22A1 falls thru we will throw in a H23A1 non vtec engine.
Stay posted, pics to come.

well a little food for thought, you can use b-series axles with the h-22 tranny and the accord hub. If you need a shorter axles check out the 86-89 integra axles and h22 axles are the longest you can get.

Deadhead
02-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Good luck, a lot of people have tried this, but decided it wasnt' worth it after a while... lots of custom fabrication, lots of trial and error since you will be going in practically blind.

How's your car running Legend_master? Those axles working out for you alright?

Legend_master
02-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Good luck, a lot of people have tried this, but decided it wasnt' worth it after a while... lots of custom fabrication, lots of trial and error since you will be going in practically blind.

How's your car running Legend_master? Those axles working out for you alright?

It feels great, but the passenger side axle is to long. I need to switch to the 86-89 integra axle.

newaccorddriver
02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
If the H22A1 falls thru we will throw in a H23A1 non vtec engine.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if the H22A1 falls through, then the same thing will happen to the H23A1. basically the exact same fab work needs to be done to get both in. good luck with the swap, and keep us updated

ludesrv
02-02-2006, 09:27 AM
sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if the H22A1 falls through, then the same thing will happen to the H23A1. basically the exact same fab work needs to be done to get both in. good luck with the swap, and keep us updated

I meant in BUYING the engine, not the actual fabrication.

Accordtheory
02-02-2006, 04:22 PM
What the hell is a prelude "Sr-V"?

Ludi Mali
02-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughn edition. It plays a wicked left-handed guitar and dies in a few years after a helicopter crash.

booooooooooo :)

ludesrv
02-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Please note that I am in Canada. Honda gave different model codes.

I have a BB1, 93 Honda Prelude Sr-V.

Type S = F22A1
Sr = H23A1
Sr-V (V is for Vtec) = H22A1

It's your Sir Prelude. Only with added features, such as heated seats/mirrors, and even heated steering wheels in some, not mine tho.

bobafett
02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
good luck with the project, if u complete it, i would love to read the how to and see how involved the swap really is. :)

SQ is the SQUAD
02-05-2006, 09:18 PM
good luck, i kinda gave up omn my b20b carbed accord, well for now at least. i figured ill do the turbo coupe thing for now

Legend_master
02-05-2006, 09:22 PM
good luck, i kinda gave up omn my b20b carbed accord, well for now at least. i figured ill do the turbo coupe thing for now

:wtf: quiter . Nah, just playin good luck with the turbo :)

ludesrv
02-06-2006, 01:55 PM
We already hit a bump, he needed his car back to finish school so we peiced it back togeter. For now we are figuring dimensions of his engine bay and the H22 motor (which still hasn't comed him, so we might use mine).

We are gonna use 3d modelling programs to get it done.

Immeraufdemhund
02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
yah it's deffinatly not an easy project, i was toying with it when i had both 4g accord and 3g parts just laying around all over the place... I personally ran out of patience on the project because of the little amount of gains compared the head ache.

getready
02-06-2006, 03:32 PM
there should be a sticky at the top of the engine swap forum with a list of everything you'd need to complete this swap yourself (not including labor). There are so many threads about h22's, it seems like they'd see "EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR H22" right at the top, and not make another thread about it. And it'd be a useful thread, i'd like to know, myself. Just a thought

ludesrv
02-07-2006, 06:24 AM
I can't find dimensions of the engine bay all out. I want the outer perimeter measurements and the front and rear subframes. Urgh, looks like the engine of the parts car might have to be yanked to make us go forward. 1 more month and I yank my H22A1 out of my prelude. Then I'll measure it up. I want it the the 1/4 inch dimensions, if anyone has any clue.

SQ is the SQUAD
02-07-2006, 06:29 PM
there should be a sticky at the top of the engine swap forum with a list of everything you'd need to complete this swap yourself (not including labor). There are so many threads about h22's, it seems like they'd see "EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR H22" right at the top, and not make another thread about it. And it'd be a useful thread, i'd like to know, myself. Just a thought

no onkw really know everythnig you need, there really dosent seem to be any that exist in this population.

snoopyloopy
02-07-2006, 06:39 PM
while you're at it, put one that says "EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR B16/B18/B20" right with it. not like they'll read it. because that spoils of the fun of starting a fight and getting people banned.

getready
02-07-2006, 06:43 PM
heh, yeah how could there be traffic here without those threads? But i mean, list everything needed, in theory, in big bold letters. It'd be great

Accordtheory
02-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Just DO THE SWAP, that'd be great..

ludesrv
02-25-2006, 02:21 PM
We had to put a stop to the swap. 2 days after I gave him his car back after his beater crapped out, he rear ended a pick up truck and at the same time he got rear ended by a 4th gen accord haha. We scrapped the car and he got a 99 civic HB and we have already installed the H22 in there.

Sorry guys.

Legend_master
02-25-2006, 02:26 PM
We had to put a stop to the swap. 2 days after I gave him his car back after his beater crapped out, he rear ended a pick up truck and at the same time he got rear ended by a 4th gen accord haha. We scrapped the car and he got a 99 civic HB and we have already installed the H22 in there.
Sorry guys.

:uh: thats to bad, would have been a clean swap. Now we have to leave it up to Accordtheory to do it now :wave: .

gfrg88
02-25-2006, 07:56 PM
knew this wasnt going to happen...... oh well..... lets see some pics of the hatch :D

and yeah now we have to wait to accordtheory does the swap :kekeke:

getready
02-26-2006, 10:33 AM
damn i wish i could just see ONE person do this.

Someone hurry, this thread got my hopes up

Lockleaf
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Hell dude, I'm impressed. I joined here about 4 years ago and any of us that wanted the H22 just caught flak from everyone else. Seems like things have improved around here. Best of luck and you should definately throw down the how-to. I'd still love to do it, but my accord is in such bad body condition that it isn't worth it. I'll need to get another one in order to invest that kind of money. Good luck.

snoopyloopy
03-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Sorry guys.
somehow, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Accordtheory
03-01-2006, 10:01 AM
:uh: thats to bad, would have been a clean swap. Now we have to leave it up to Accordtheory to do it now :wave: .

..lol..no way! ..unless you set me up with the complete engine, the car, some mounts to cut up, and a couple grand..

hey, have you installed some axles that meet your expectations for fitment yet?

Legend_master
03-01-2006, 10:06 AM
..lol..no way! ..unless you set me up with the complete engine, the car, some mounts to cut up, and a couple grand..
hey, have you installed some axles that meet your expectations for fitment yet?

No and my driverside blew axle blew up. I dont have enought money to go out and try different axles, but lucky enough I have two friends working at autozone so I will be going up there to have them compare 86-89 teg axles,
h22 axles, and different accord axles. I am also wondering if the d-series axles will fit in the b-series hub. I can tell you that the 90-93 axles will only work temporarily they are definitly not long term items.

white ricer
03-01-2006, 04:16 PM
hey legend master you should contact dutchmen (http://www.dutchmanms.com/), they make custom axles and they may shorten your existing halfshaft. I've gotten straight axleshafts shortened by them, their a good buncha guys. heres their contact number 503.257.6604

89AccordResto
03-01-2006, 06:17 PM
I might attempt it someday. I have access to a really nice honda shop with tons of honda experience. I'm sure they could figure something out. :)

Legend_master
03-01-2006, 07:00 PM
hey legend master you should contact dutchmen (http://www.dutchmanms.com/), they make custom axles and they may shorten your existing halfshaft. I've gotten straight axleshafts shortened by them, their a good buncha guys. heres their contact number 503.257.6604

Thanks man I will check them out, but I would really like to find a factory options for further repairs and upgrades.

Accordtheory
03-01-2006, 09:35 PM
No and my driverside blew axle blew up. I can tell you that the 90-93 axles will only work temporarily they are definitly not long term items.

damn..that's weak..what happened to the axle?
I guess I should contact driveshaftshop.com or something..

Legend_master
03-01-2006, 09:43 PM
damn..that's weak..what happened to the axle?
I guess I should contact driveshaftshop.com or something..

Well somehow it pulled out of the tranny and snapped. There was axle grease everywhere (BTW axles grease makes suspension parts look brand new, LOL). I know there has to be a stock application that can bolt in there, it is just going to take the right combination. If your willing to wait I will figure it out and Hash man is going to give of the measurement on the PRI axles, so I can compare them to stock axles at autozone.

Accordtheory
03-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Well, driveshaftshop.com just quoted me $700 for level 2 axles, so yeah, I think I'll be waiting..

Legend_master
03-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Well, driveshaftshop.com just quoted me $700 for level 2 axles, so yeah, I think I'll be waiting..

yeah thats why I dident even try. I will figure it out, because there has to be a factory application that will work.

Accordtheory
03-02-2006, 06:31 PM
See if you can find a factory application that will handle repeated 5k rpm launches on 225/40/17 drag radials while you're at it..lol..
What I don't get is how johnny o was running in the 10s with the factory 3g axles, and people spend like $1k on axles if they're running that fast with an integra/civic..also why are axles rated in terms of hp when it only takes about 270 or so whp to spin rolling in 2nd on drag radials..?if you're spinning, that's all the torque the axle has to handle, who cares about how fast it's spinning..the tq is the same..the only way you're going to put 5-600 hp down is in high gear anyway.

Doesn't wickedaccord have pri axles with 450 or so whp?

Legend_master
03-02-2006, 10:42 PM
See if you can find a factory application that will handle repeated 5k rpm launches on 225/40/17 drag radials while you're at it..lol..
What I don't get is how johnny o was running in the 10s with the factory 3g axles, and people spend like $1k on axles if they're running that fast with an integra/civic..also why are axles rated in terms of hp when it only takes about 270 or so whp to spin rolling in 2nd on drag radials..?if you're spinning, that's all the torque the axle has to handle, who cares about how fast it's spinning..the tq is the same..the only way you're going to put 5-600 hp down is in high gear anyway.
Doesn't wickedaccord have pri axles with 450 or so whp?

well if I find a factory application, you can find a stage 1,2, or 3 that will fit. Without having to pay for custom axles. As for the fatory axles holding up to the high HP. I think they last for awhile, but after so many runs they get fucked up due to the power put into them.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-03-2006, 08:08 AM
d sereis hubs should be the same as b series hubs seeing that when i swap teg motors into civic i dont change any suspension parts just swap the axils