PDA

View Full Version : something i wanna try (prolly sounds dumb)

A18A
02-02-2006, 11:23 PM
i wanna wire up 2 batteries for my car, one for accesseries and another for ignition/starting the car. the reason i wanna try this is coz we like to have light at night wen doing sumthing outside, or have the stereo going without worrying about battery going flat or even just when you leave lights on or something like that when we worry about the battery going flat. i think it should be pretty straight foward, just a couple things i wanna know is how would i send charge to the starter battery? and how would i wire the ignition wires to it?

sorry if u don't understand it, i dont know how else to put it

mkymonkey
02-03-2006, 12:45 AM
i think you need an isolator (i think thats what they're called) to wire them correctly for both batteries to be charged simoultaneously (sp?) while the car is running. but you might also need a higher voltage alt.

hehe have fun!

A18A
02-03-2006, 01:33 AM
isnt there just a wire comming of the alternator or something that sends charge to the battery?

edit: i get wat u mean now..... hmm

88Accord-DX
02-03-2006, 04:53 AM
Route a fuse through the PVC pipe stuck in the muffler to the gas tank full of gas & light the end of the fuse. Run about 50 feet after lighting the fuse.

A18A
02-03-2006, 05:17 AM
Route a fuse through the PVC pipe stuck in the muffler to the gas tank full of gas & light the end of the fuse. Run about 50 feet after lighting the fuse.
at least you didnt tell me get in the car and drive away as fast as i can

Oldblueaccord
02-03-2006, 05:30 PM
isnt there just a wire comming of the alternator or something that sends charge to the battery?

edit: i get wat u mean now..... hmm

Actually its not a bad idea at all.

yes there is a wire that runs from the alt. to your battery. Youll have to get the electrical schematics for your car and trace it out. A battery isolater can be found at and RV or boat place since its common for them to run mulitiple battery setups.

reason for the isolater is to keep one of the batteries from trying to charge the other. They kinda would like fight each other if you would think it that way.

For myself like when I go fourwheeling in the woods and stuff I just carry an xtra battery like as a spare and swap in in when I need a fresh one. saves all the wiring that I just never seem to get around to doing.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2006119&TID=100&TID=100&productId=2006119&catalogId=10101

heres one. Good luck.

wp

EDIT: http://www.redarc.com.au/sbi.htm

these guys are "local" to you I guess

AccordEpicenter
02-03-2006, 07:05 PM
you can use 2 batteries in paralell IF they are the same size/type/brand/age etc. If not, youll need a battery isolator, but on a 12vdc system they arent the greatest things in the world due to voltage drop across them (.7v) which might not sound like alot but it is a considerable percentage when youre only working with 12v anyway. If the batteries arent exactly the same then chances are they will discharge each other

Blkblurr
02-04-2006, 06:39 AM
The main problem I see is you may not have enough current output from your alt to charge both of them if they are low. I don't know hw much current the battery pulls when you first put a charge to it but my guess is a lot.

AZmike
02-04-2006, 06:56 AM
This weighs a lot less than a second bettery
http://www.prioritystart.com/