PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting choke/replacing choke??

stylus277
08-20-2002, 02:46 PM
When I start my car it tachs like 2k then dies, so I sit there and keep hitting the gas till it stays idleing, this takes 1.5-3 mins, then she idles at anywhere between 1500 and 2200rpms ( :eek: ). Then after 3-4 mins the idle drops to bout 1000 and I drive around and 5 mins later it wants to stall all over the place. :banghead: btw this is year round not just on cold or hot days.

So...I think that my choke is seriously messed up, it should never tack 2-2200 on a fast idle. Then the thing wants to die all over town so I sit there reving like a ricer :rice: at every stop light.

Please let me know if I can adjust it, or what. Thanks.

ACCORD EX
08-20-2002, 03:01 PM
i would clean it with carb cleaner just spray in there while the car is running ( and a friend is pressing gas or it'll die ) and you'll notice a black smoke from behind !

MIKE

bigpoppa88
08-20-2002, 04:48 PM
I've been try to adjust my choke for the last week...go ahead and try can it get any worse (thats my motto). before you drill out the rivets, make sure you have power coming to the electric coil in the choke plate that could be your problem if your choke isn't working.

DanG86LX
08-21-2002, 08:51 AM
2200rpm at fast idle is normal.
"When I start my car it tachs like 2k then dies.." Remove the air box and look at the chock. After start, it is supposed to open slightly. This is the chock unloader job here:
http://87accord.com/carbpage.html pic < Right side of carb, G > You should see chock unloader arm retracting and the chock to wall gap about 1/8".
The fact that your idle returns to 1000rpm means that fast idle system is OK.
After 5min from start the chock should be fully open (vertical). If it is slightly tilted, it might cause the stalling problems..