PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid Leak

Mike's89AccordLX
02-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Alright I have noticed that the P/S fluid is coming out the top of the resevoir tank. But what I don't understand is why would it empty out the tank and leak from the top? There's a pretty good size puddle of P/S fluid and there's fluid on top of the resevoir and all over my Mugen Power tank cover. The thing is soaked and the resevoir tank is empty.

Does anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix this? I can't afford to spend a lot on the car lately b/c I just put in a brand new starter yesterday so any helpful DIY tips or help would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

visionguru
02-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Did you check the fluid level before this happened?
If the tank is empty, the pressure of P/S system may squirt the fluid out. The reservior only holds 1/3 of P/S fluids. Sounds strange but pretty obvious if you think about it.

Try refill the tank and see what happens. I guess your steering wheel is very hard to turn at low speeds.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-04-2006, 09:00 PM
No I added some in last month and it was full. I don't know we just got into freezing temps again is it possible this had any impact on it?

I'll just add some more in and drive it :)

russiankid
02-04-2006, 09:05 PM
could be that you are having a slow leak in a line or the pump, and the level went down a good bit and what vision described is happening

Honda-Master
02-04-2006, 10:47 PM
you got a leak in the system, which it is sucking in air, make fluid foam up , the air rises to top and comes out of the reservoir ...

chk the frt p/s pump seal. p/s rack. speed sensor hoses.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Now that's the info I needed. Good advice Honda-Master. I'm going to check to see if there's a dye that I can put in with the P/S fluid and find the source of the problem. I recently replaced my alternator and put all new belts on the car so it's possible the belt was tensioned too tight... Well I will look into the dyes.

-Mike