PDA

View Full Version : something really wierd????

kji420
02-04-2006, 08:10 PM
My battery light keeps coming on, only it comes on at higher rpm's which causes the battery to boil, but if my head lites, heater and rear defrost are on it goes away. ive hooked a testor up to see if my alternator is charging and it is. also took the alt in to a shop and they also said it was cool. im at a total loss here and tired of going to start my car in the am and its dead. help please

lostforawhile
02-04-2006, 08:24 PM
ok you have two problems,first you said the battery is boiling and the light is coming on at higher rpms? but if your battery is boiling thats a sign of overcharging. are you having to replace the battery or something? i don't care what that shop says,if your battery is boiling your voltage regulator in the alternator is shot. sure it's charging,but it's charging too much. an ouput test won't tell them that,only that it does charge. your battery may be dead in the morning because it's been damaged from overcharging. if this is the case,you need to replace the alternator and battery. if your alternaor is new,you can remove it,take the back cover off,and replace the regulator itself,but if it's more then a couple of years old,you might as well get another alternator.

kji420
02-04-2006, 08:32 PM
ya like 5 batteries, luckily i was able to exchange them for new ones. right on thanks im gonna go change out the regulator right now, i decided to get one but wanted to research the problem 1st. the damn thing cost $120 and if that wasnt the issue i was gonna return it. again thanks

lostforawhile
02-04-2006, 08:42 PM
do you know how to get the regulator out? you need to remove the alternator and the metal case on the very back of it comes off, the regulator is under there. if your alternator is over a few years old I would just get a new one. it's not like a delco where you need to split the case,the regulator is part of the alternator but externally accesible.