PDA

View Full Version : Woot!

Spiderldr
02-06-2006, 12:30 AM
She Runs!
I tried as best as I could to to fix her. I followed all the advice and help you guys gave me. It started with the water pump. "bearings siezed," the mechanic told me. $350 to fix that. Bull shiz. The car was only worth 700. So I decided to fix it. That was a looong time ago. I think it was around the end of october. I said to myself, I can do this... I bought a water pump from a local shop, and embarked on a 3 month journey through stupidity and laziness and frustration. First off, The pump siezed and the belt broke. It took me two weeks to find the collective time to take off the water pump. on a side note, I saw a screw fall down the after I unscrewed it from the pump. I found it a couple months later. After I put the new pump on and fastened the pulley wheel, I noticed that I needed to take off all the belts to get the belt I needed on. I looked long and hard at it, and said, I cant do this. I hauled it down to the mechanic and told him to do the rest. I didn't know at the time there was only 3 bolts and a hacksaw holding me back at the time. Anyhow, The first thing he said once he got around to it was that my timing belt was broken, it wasn't moving. Sure enough, it didn't move. He said that probably there were seven or eight teeth at the bottom that were stripped off. Valve damage was almost certain according to the book. I thought all hope was lost, untill I posted my new problem here. A small debate ensued about interferance of the valves on the pistons. I thought it was worth while to look into it, so I bought a new timing belt and began working again. First thing I noticed was that after I removed the upper timing cover, was the belt was in perfect condition, except the giant tear where the belt came apart. Right about this time it got real cold. I and got lazy. It sat there as the weeks went by, I didn't want to face the fact that something was obviously screwy with my car. In the meantime, I was borrowing my parents 2000 mazda 626. About two weeks ago, I invested more money into tools, and began work again because of some unseasonable warm weather. Then I rolled my parents car into a ditch, but thats another story, suffice it to say, I needed a car. I had the hardest time on the simplest things, Some bolts stripped like they were made if butter, the main crankshaft bolt kept twisting off the heads of my tools it was so tight, but I got through. The ac never worked, so I took a hacksaw to the belt instead of taking the trouble, and the power steering wasn't too bad. I found the screw that went missing too. It fell out of the bottom of the timing case when I took it off. It had gear chew marks all over it. That explained a lot. I put the timing belt on, and jumped the car.

The most beautiful sound came from the exauhst. The muffler had fallen off from rust in the interm, and she let out a VRoooOOM! VRoooooooM! I then remembered I still didn't have the timing cover on and quickly shut it off. Good thing too, the belt was only about half on all the gears, and the valve cover was off and oil went everywhere. But such mistakes were common while I was working.

This is almost difinitive proof that the motor is non interferance. I tried starting the engine at an odd angle away from the crankshaft's TDC mark, and then I re-alingned to TDC and turned the engine over. Unless I'm missing something, which I probably am.

Anyway, she's all peiced together now. She's runs, for now. She's been having some connection issues on the battery though. Every other time I start it, something goes wierd on the connection and I have to hit the teminals on the battery for it to work. and she's mufflerless. but thats all the better...:) Thanks you guys.

Blkblurr
02-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Good to hear you got her running. Sounds like you got some good experience in the process. Glad to see you stuck it out and did it yourself. This forum is a goldmine of information and help.