PDA

View Full Version : Have low mileage, change to Castrol GTX 20W-50, have a 1987 Accord with carburator.

Mario Calero
02-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I've got a Honda Accord LX Carb 1987 with 220K on it, This weekend I had to change engine oil and chose Castrol GTX 20W-50.

I'm learning to take care of my car, this is my first car and according to the owner manual, I should use 20w-50, however some fellows say this is for new engines, not for mine since it is a very old engine, stock engine in fact, on the other hand, I read everywhere I should use what the manual says, I'm a little bit confused.

To say the truth, I used to let the service guy pick the right oil for my car, I'm not sure what grade of oil he used to choose, I think 40 Castrol.. but this time, as I learn more and more of my car I read from the service manual I should use 20w-50 since where I live is a very hot city ( 28 C average ). The city is 50m above sea level.

My average mileage has been low ( 300 miles per full tank: 60 liters top). The car runs well, it doesn't have any visible mechanical problem except for the low mileage. I've had this car for a year now, I've never made her a tune-up, I've just change the oil, brake fluids, antifreeze, and gas.

This weekend when changing oil, I realize my air filter needed replacement, so I went to the part store and according to a catalog, they sold me a PUROLATOR for about $13.

Last Sunday I went to the car wash and asked for a motor wash, they cover the part where the spark plug wires are, then they wash the motor with pressure hoses ( water first, then water with detergent and water again, at last they dry it up with pressured air ) when I went out and park the car about 5 minutes later, I notices some white smoke coming out of the hood, checked it out and I didn’t notice any particular place where the smoke came from, I put the hood again and checked under the car, the first thing I noticed was that where the large exhaust tube begins ( where it connects to the motor ) was extremely hot, it showed waves of heat, extremely hot in there and some white smoke coming out of the hood. I was afraid something wrong was happening, but since I have minimum mechanical experience, I just let it cool. Three hours later I took it for a 30 minutes ride and the white smoke didn't come again, the only thing I notice is a wave of heat under the hood. If I open it and get near the motor, there's a lot of heat, I don't know if this is normal for a 30 minutes ride, but it gets very hot, however this heat was present before the change of oil grade and the motor Wash this weekend.
I really need an advice; my main concern is the low mileage.

Since I just change to oil to Castrol GTX 20W-50 and installed a new air filter, hope to see an improvement. The gas filter is ok, the oil filter is new, the antifreeze is full in the radiator, but the antifreeze reservoir is missing its cap, so I don't use it but I keep checking the level of antifreeze in the radiator and keep it full. I don’t use the car for large distances; I run an average of 175 miles a week tops. Sorry for my English, I speak Spanish all the time, My English is very basic.

Mario Calero
Managua, Nicaragua.

Blkblurr
02-06-2006, 12:28 PM
It sounds like the white smoke was just steam from washing your engine. Engines get hot especially around the exhaust. Just make sure your temperature guage stays in the middle between C and H.

Hope this helps.

Your english is fine. Better than some on this board that speak english as their first language.

Welcone

Lester Lugnut
02-06-2006, 01:04 PM
There are all sorts of arguments about oil. I'll throw in my opinion.

If you live in a place where it's REALLY hot all of the time, say Arizona, then 20W-50 is OK.

I personally believe it's too thick for most climates. The first couple of secs. after an engine is started are the most crucial. The thicker the oil, the harder it is on moving parts those first few seconds.

I'd go with 10W-40 as a good all around weight, especially in a car as old as yours. I would not rush out and get rid of the 20W-50 you just installed. It will be fine.

And yes, your english skills are just fine. I was able to read and comprehend your post which is more than I can say for many of the others I've read here.

Vanilla Sky
02-06-2006, 01:52 PM
i'm in florida, where the average temp in the summer is over 35* most days. my vehicles, i run 10W30 all the time. i'm pretty sure your mileage problems are related to yout somewhat thick oil. as lester lugnut pointed out, it's not necessary that you change your oil right now.

it may be wise to change your spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and distributor rotor. i'm a little particular with my vehicles, but my spark plugs get changed every 15,000 miles or so, even if they really show no signs of wear.

just for comparison's sake, i changed all of theabove listed parts, plus my fuel filter and oxygen sensor on my truck and got a 10% increase in fuel mileage. just goes to how critical changing those parts can be.

Oldblueaccord
02-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Mario

Hi

First off your english is very good so no problems there.

I think your fine to run 20w50 motor oil since your warm all the time. To make your car last longer do this. The first time you start it in the morning let it run for a full minute before you drive it. This will let the oil circulate and warm up some before you take off. The other thing I do make sure your car is fully warmed up,according to the temperature guage, before you go full throttle or run the RPM's past 4 thousand RPM's.

Good luck.

wp

onliLX-i
02-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi Mario,
My mom has my 87 accord lx with 230 thousand miles. I always use castrol high mileage 10-40 (10-w40 HM). Never had a problem. I like it better than regular 10-40. I also agree that you should always warm up these cars before driving.

greekguy7
02-15-2006, 12:08 PM
I have 276,000 miles on my 87 Accord and live in Chicago where the temp. can be below zero to over 90.

I been using 10w-30 oil since I got the car with 70k miles on it.

VTEC_Inside
02-15-2006, 12:35 PM
I think 20w50 is a bit too thick, but then Im running 5w30 in mine.

Regarding the mileage issue.
- replace your O2 sensor, you can get a Bosch generic one and crimp a spade connector on it very easily.
- inspect your intake temp sensor. Unscrew it and clean it off as it invariably has a build up of crap around it if you haven't touched it in a while
- have a look at your coolant temp sensor. This is a difficult one as it is just under the intake manifold on the back of the engine. On my car, the plastic had busted off of it and it was completely dissconnected. My car was failing etests because of this and consuming 20% more fuel. I went from averaging over 9L/100kms down to 7L/100kms in the middle of WINTER!...

Nomanansari
11-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi, I am from Pakistan. My car engine is recently overhauled and I am using castrol GTX 20w50 since. Temperature here in Karachi, Pakistan is usually 10-15 C in winter and 40-45 C in summer. So, can I use castrol GTX 10w40 in my car in such temperature or its better to stick to 20W50? Yet car has driven 4000kms since overhauled.

rocketman
11-16-2011, 03:21 PM
I have 540,000 miles on my '89 Accord DX (carb'd) and run 20W50 in the warmer weather, 10W40 in the colder weather. I live in Pennsylvania where Winters are as cold as 10-20 degrees . . . Summers are as hot as 90-95. I only lose about 1/4 to 1/2 quart per 3000 mile oil change . . . a little smoke at start-up and a few drips under the car when parked overnight. If I lived in the area that you live I'd use 20W50 all year round. Make sure you let it idle for 20-30 seconds before you start to drive and drive carefully for the first 5 or 6 miles until everything warms up. I wish Honda would make the 3G again . . we have several cars now, newer Hondas and other, and this is my favorite. Good luck with your Honda! Rocketman