PDA

View Full Version : I propose to you...

kaltenacht
02-06-2006, 11:12 PM
After sifting through the piles of useless garbage on the internet trying to come across some rock solid information for swapping a b18 into our Accords, I've come to a halt with this question. How logical is it to do an B18 swap? Or really any swap for that matter. I mean a B18 seems like it would be the best way to go for our Accords right? I am presenting what I have found and have come to understand, hoping that someone can point me in the right direction and correct my errors in conception.

So assuming that you have the correct B18 engine you can reasonably complete the swap for under $2500.00. This estimate includes the engine, drive axles, shift rod, mounts, and tranny. The Drive Axles, Mounts, and Shift Rod and be bought from PlaceRacing Inc. Now for the tranny what options do I have when choosing a tranny to fit the B18? Say I wanted to go with the B18A1 (Non-Vtec but I can swap for a VTEC head later if I decide to, cant i?). From what I have found, I would need a YS1 tranny (because our A20 tranny's don’t bolt up). What mods would I have to do to make that tranny fit under out 3g Accords?

Assume I now have the tranny adapted to fit under our cars, along with the engine and all other necessary parts (mounts, axles and shift rod). What would I have to do with our computers. I know that I would have to change it for a fact, so that would mean a new computer and a new harness. What computer would I choose? Would I need the computer out of the 90-93 Integra (I assume this only because that is what the engine and tranny is coming out of.)

So now I have the following to have a successful B18 swap:
B18A1 Motor (Non-Vtec)
PlaceRacing Mounts
PlaceRacing Drive Axles (Driver and Passenger Side)
PlaceRacing Shift Rod
YS1 Tranny (found in 90-93 Integra)
Integra Computer
New Wiring Harness for Computer

Am I leaving anything out?

Again, as I mentioned before I am just presenting what I have found to be true in my mind. Please, feel free to help me out and correct any mistakes, because I am trying to make this a learning experience for me, and anyone else who pose the same question(s) as I have. I am hoping to come to a group consensus about the fact placed on this thread. So again please feel free to leave comments.

So after about 2 hours of typing and reading, thinking, I am going to freakin bed.

SteveDX89
02-07-2006, 03:14 AM
First, no you cannot buy any of that stuff from Place Racing. They are out of business. There have been probably 40-50 threads that have stated that. You need to decide if you are willing to make all custom parts or use trial and error with other off the shelf parts. If you still say yes, then I can answer some of the other questions.

buds302
02-07-2006, 04:12 AM
:Owned2: :Owned2: :mod:
sorry but what steve says is 100% correct.
and dont try to second guess him about it. he is one of the few ( and i mean that list is pretty short) that have actually done the B-series Swap using the placeracing stuff. there was a set of mounts for sale... http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47158&page=2
but you gotta deal with Hash_man now... lol

all the rest of the parts can be found except the mounts tho. good luck

kaltenacht
02-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I wasnt really saying that I could buy all that from PlaceRacing because I am well aware that they are out of business, I pay just as much attention to this board as you do. I was just stating that for simplicity purposes, to make it easier to explain what I am intending do. Now, Steve are you willing to help clear up some questions with answers and explain to me what is needed to be done? Or is this just going to be another dead thread about a engine swap?

SteveDX89
02-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I wasnt really saying that I could buy all that from PlaceRacing because I am well aware that they are out of business, I pay just as much attention to this board as you do. I was just stating that for simplicity purposes, to make it easier to explain what I am intending do. Now, Steve are you willing to help clear up some questions with answers and explain to me what is needed to be done? Or is this just going to be another dead thread about a engine swap?

I can help out. Give me a list of questions and I'll be happy to answer.

SQ is the SQUAD
02-07-2006, 06:27 PM
you dont need an ys1 tranny, any 90-93 teg tranny will work, or any 1gen b16a cable tranny will work. if you dont know, check legend_masters thread on his swap, lots of hints, like you can use your shift linkage but u need to change the head. you can also use 90 teg axles blah blah blaH

Accordtheory
02-07-2006, 07:39 PM
What I propose to you is sell the accord for as much as you can instead of dumping $2500 into it, and buy a 90-93 integra. You should be able to get an integra for less than $2500,and you'll spend even less than that because of whatever you get out of the accord.
if you insist on being one of the few owners of a b series powered accord, did you read my thread 'how to swap in a b series without a kit'? Get the pri mounts. And you can't just swap ends on the shift rod, it will be too long. Legend master had the pri rod, I had to make my own. We both got our wiring (obd1) from rywire, and they fucked up both of our harnesses. The had the ecu jumper coming out at the headlight end of the harness. I guess legend master extended his, i took my whole harness apart and changed it myself, and those clowns didn't give me a cent back..I left it up to them. The only thing I have left to figure out is the axles, legend master says the 90-93 axles aren't exactly right. I have those but haven't installed them, due to needing to change my steering knuckles. (I need the 88/89 brakes, and I need to replace a ball joint)
I recommend the 92-93 ys1 tranny (94+ same internals) if you're staying cable and don't like to cruise at a ridiculously high rpm, otherwise get the b16 tranny, or the 94+ tranny and do a hydraulic clutch conversion.
The real reason why I'm doing the b series is I'm going to put my endyn pistons, eagle rods, and action 2ms clutch to the test, with a turbo off of a dodge cummins diesel. I would very much like to be able to confuse drivers of newer cars like corvettes, vipers, etc on the freeway. If you're not going to turbo the b series, unless you heavily modify it, a turbo a20 will pull on it badly. The a20's long ass 91mm stroke will produce a lot of useable torque..

Legend_master
02-08-2006, 02:30 PM
What I propose to you is sell the accord for as much as you can instead of dumping $2500 into it, and buy a 90-93 integra. You should be able to get an integra for less than $2500,and you'll spend even less than that because of whatever you get out of the accord.
if you insist on being one of the few owners of a b series powered accord, did you read my thread 'how to swap in a b series without a kit'? Get the pri mounts. And you can't just swap ends on the shift rod, it will be too long. Legend master had the pri rod, I had to make my own. We both got our wiring (obd1) from rywire, and they fucked up both of our harnesses. The had the ecu jumper coming out at the headlight end of the harness. I guess legend master extended his, i took my whole harness apart and changed it myself, and those clowns didn't give me a cent back..I left it up to them. The only thing I have left to figure out is the axles, legend master says the 90-93 axles aren't exactly right. I have those but haven't installed them, due to needing to change my steering knuckles. (I need the 88/89 brakes, and I need to replace a ball joint)
I recommend the 92-93 ys1 tranny (94+ same internals) if you're staying cable and don't like to cruise at a ridiculously high rpm, otherwise get the b16 tranny, or the 94+ tranny and do a hydraulic clutch conversion.
The real reason why I'm doing the b series is I'm going to put my endyn pistons, eagle rods, and action 2ms clutch to the test, with a turbo off of a dodge cummins diesel. I would very much like to be able to confuse drivers of newer cars like corvettes, vipers, etc on the freeway. If you're not going to turbo the b series, unless you heavily modify it, a turbo a20 will pull on it badly. The a20's long ass 91mm stroke will produce a lot of useable torque..

All this is good info, but what it comes down to is. Do you have welding skills? if not give up and turbo it or buy a new car. Can you afford to pay a shop to do it for? if not give up and turbo it or buy a new car. Honestly Accordtheory had to put a lot of work into doing this swap and he did it all himself, I had the pri kit and swapped the motor myself (minus the axles). As for the rywire thing, they didnt have the actual vehicle with them and so they were not aware that the ECU was under the drivers seat. I have informed them of all the problems and they will fix it all before shipping any harnesses.

Accordtheory
02-08-2006, 07:53 PM
well, I guess you don't need to weld if you get the kit, but just make sure it's worth it to you, otherwise get an integra..

SteveDX89
02-09-2006, 04:09 AM
well, I guess you don't need to weld if you get the kit, but just make sure it's worth it to you, otherwise get an integra..

I think all the kits that were floating around out there are all snagged up.