PDA

View Full Version : special way

FORFREE
02-07-2006, 07:38 AM
is there any special way to get the ATF dipstick out of a 1989 honda accord LX? it is really getting me angry and i just wanna get it out and put new fluid in i havin been trying everything. It is in a real bad spot to is there a tool that can hlep me or somthing?
thanks in advance

TheWatcher
02-07-2006, 07:52 AM
You just have to use your muscles and twist it off. :)

If you can't get it to budge, take it to your mechanic.

My old civic (RIP, donated) had a ATF dipstick that I had a hard time w/ so I took it to my mechanic. Since I only go to them for repairs and I always bought gas from them, they took it off and didn't charge me a penny. :)

Good luck.

Peace.

FORFREE
02-07-2006, 08:06 AM
there is no fluid in the tranny that is why i need to get it off cant really drive it to a mechanic with no ATF.

chainz
02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
You'll have more room to get to it if you take out your battery and battery tray. Try to grab on to the flat part of the cap with a pair of channel locks or vice grips. This should give you some extra leverage. OR a trick that I pulled off on a 88 LXI auto was to put a socket on to the cap along with an extension and twist it loose with a ratchet. Just be very carefull to use the smallest socket that is big enough to fit over it. Use caution or you'll mess up your socket and/or the cap.

FORFREE
02-07-2006, 11:01 AM
k thanks im prob try the socket got a whole buch of sockets

FyreDaug
02-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Extensions are your friend whenever you can use one. Just a hollow 1.25" diameter tube works wonders. Plus its easily expendable.