PDA

View Full Version : Running car w/o oil

maxcrx
02-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Damn, I feel like a fool for not checking the oil after my girl had the car for awhile. She forgot to tell me there was a slow oil leak in the car. Next thing I know was that I was driving away from my house two blocks then the oil light went on and the car automatically shut off.

I don't know if this is a safe measure. I didn't try to restart my car because that will mess it up so I waited for my bro to bring some oil to put in since the dipstick is dry. Still no start....

Does anyone know what is wrong?? Did I freeze up/lock my engine and have to rebuild or get a new engine?? I know the starter works but the engine is not turning over...there is no movement??

Can someone advise me what to do. I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks

russiankid
02-07-2006, 06:37 PM
possible your engine is crewed because it was running with no oil

newaccorddriver
02-07-2006, 06:39 PM
i drive for a couple hours with the oil light on in my gramps car to no ill effect. if you drove for two blocks then saw the oil light come on, i dont think that would screw up your engine. or atleast not to the point of it not wanting to turn over.

Deadhead
02-07-2006, 06:50 PM
a lot of the time on cars, the oil light only comes on when there is about 3-4 psi oil pressure. If you are driving at highway speeds or even low speeds... once that light comes on, your engine is toast.

bobafett
02-07-2006, 06:54 PM
yup. if the engine shut itself off, thats not a good sign. likely bare minimum u need a rebuilt (bearings and valve train is probably not too happy).

if you damaged a lot of the head/cam/crank then hello new engine. :(

good luck to you though...

B16KILLA
02-07-2006, 07:47 PM
I siezed a motor like that in an 87 crx,I took the spark plugs out put about a tablespoon or so into each combustion chamber and let it sit for about 10 minutes,put new plugs back in and fired it up....Oh and it'll smoke for a few minutes and you might want to use a straw or something to get the oil into the combustion chamber.

88Accord-DX
02-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Depending on how long you drove the car without oil.

Hopefully on the situation, you can put oil in the car. (hoping your oil pump will pick up the oil without priming)

Turn your crankshaft bolt several times. If you can turn it over, there is a chance you can start your car with oil in it. If you can't turn it over by hand, (with a socket on the crankshaft bolt) your motor is locked up & your fuked.

Edit- as said before, put some oil in the spark plug holes to losen & lube the rings. I've seen cams lock up from oil starvation too.

azazel_18_2
02-08-2006, 08:59 AM
If oil doesn't do the job brake fluid will. It shouldn't hurt anything. I have a 56 F200 with the inline six that had been locked up for years. I squirted some brake fluid in her and let it set a little while. Put a wreck on the crank pulley and broke it loose. It ran ok but the rings were shot due to there being no oil. If you are able to break the pistons loose you most likely will burn oil and will need to re-ring the engine. Otherwise, get another engine.