PDA

View Full Version : Price check on Honda oil filters, Oil drain plug washers, Honda Filter Wrench

nbx
02-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Price check on Honda oil filters, Oil drain plug washers, Honda Filter Wrench

Are these good prices?

10 Honda oil filters $44.50

Oil drain plug washers $0.20 Ea.

Honda Filter Wrench for New Filters (15400-PLM-A02) $18.65

These prices are from www.manhonda.com

http://nbox00.tripod.com

Lester Lugnut
02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Out of curiosity, I looked up part 15400-PLM-A02 using Google. The first site that was returned -> hondaaccessoriescheap.com showed this part for $5 - almost 1/4 less than the Honda Dealer in Connecticut.

Dealers always charge an arm and a leg for special tools. They do not want you working on your car and many will not even sell them to you. I'd really have to question if a "special tool" is needed to get an oil filter off?

If you do need special tools, seach the WEB.

The filter prices seem ok and who's gonna flinch over 20 cents for a washer?

The problem would be the shipping costs. By the time you get done with that, you'd likely get the filters/washers for what you could get them for from a local dealer.

Finally, if you want a good filter, buy Wix. O-Reilley's and other parts houses carry them. Very high quality filters - air/gas/oil/etc.

DBMaster
02-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Also, I changed my metal washer for a plastic one in 1989. It never leaked and I used the same washer until just last year when I installed a Fram Sure Drain thingie on my oil pan. That makes oil changes a bit less messy. Interestingly enough, the Fram thing came with a copper washer that leaked and I changed it out for a plastic washer - no leaks. You can buy a whole pack of plastic washers practically anywhere for a little over a buck, but all you will probably ever need is one.

Honda's filters are made by a Japanese company that private labels them for Honda. I can't remember the name of the company, but there are numerous sellers selling packs of them on eBay for less than $5 each. I agree with Lester about the Wix filters, though. NAPA's house brand is also made by Wix. I tend to go high end on my filters because I run them 10,000 miles with synthetic oil.

carotman
02-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, Honda oil filters are made by Honeywell in Canada. What are yours from in the states?

BTW, Honeywell is a division of FRAM

Honda-Master
02-08-2006, 07:12 PM
buy oil filter made by Nippon, they ar the same as honda just don;t have the H emblem,,,,,,,,www.worldpac.com

AccordEpicenter
02-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Hondas big can oil filters used to be great, i dont really like the small can type they have now... id just use a wix filter or somthing. I would reccomend using the honda washers though, they are just the correct hardness and using other kinds/brands/types dont seem to be as good, but thats my opinion. Usually aftermarket washers are hard as shit and dont seal very good.

nswst8
02-08-2006, 08:02 PM
I just go to the local honda dealer for filters most will give them to you @ $5 a filter when you buy 5 or more and they throw the washer in with them. Just them know you can get them you can get them cheaper if they don't want to drop their price.

DBMaster
02-08-2006, 08:03 PM
The ones I was referring to are made by Nipon.

Vanilla Sky
02-09-2006, 05:49 AM
yeah carot, the new honda filters are identical to fram filters. stay away from north american honda oil filters.

i've been using purolater pure one filters at $7 each, but decided to try STP at $3.80 a piece because they are the same filter as a more expensive bosch boxed filter, and very similar to a mobil1 filter.

as for washers, by the time they're shipped, you've purchased them just about anywhere for less.

i've only had to use a wrench when changing one oil filter, and that was taking the filter off of my truck the first time. it had been overtightened. i ended up skewering it, butit came off. oil filters should he only hand tightened, and in turn should be able to be hand loosened.