PDA

View Full Version : suspension set-up for 3g's

cardoc33
02-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Ok, I've given this some thought, and would like some feedback as to what everyone thinks about it.

Front:
stock GR-2's or HP's
adjustable spring perches(Ground Control,ect...)
250lbs spring rate
S.T. front sway bar

Rear:
civic shocks with adjuster on body of shock(will explain later)
adjustable spring perch
250+spring rate
S.T. rear sway bar

Now here's the tricky part. We would need to have an adapter made for the short civic shock. All you machine shop guys listen up. An extender that screws on to the top of the shock rod with correct diameter at the other end to interface with the stock top mount. I beileve the extender would only need to be about 3" long.
OK, there, I said it. Now, what are you going to do about it? :)

Strugglebucket
02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
IMO, i would go with a slightly lower spring rate in the rear and better shocks up front.

SteveDX89
02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
OK, there, I said it. Now, what are you going to do about it? :)

It's not what we're going to do about it. It's what you're going to do about it.

Hash_man_Se_i
02-08-2006, 07:32 PM
^^ Lol ya... doesnt sound bad, I'd go with HP's over GR2's... and how do u plan to have adjustable perches on either of those?... the HP's and GR2 do not have such a thing

Bglad420
02-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Why not get better shocks and struts?? IE: Illumina??

gfrg88
02-08-2006, 08:01 PM
i dont think they still make those for our cars :dunno:

86AccordLxi
02-08-2006, 08:30 PM
They never made illuminas for our cars. One crafty member has adapted civic illuminas and agx's into his 3g (and, subsequently, his car f**kin' TURNS!!). Look up member Zufer--I think he's described his setup on here.

Alex

Bglad420
02-08-2006, 08:43 PM
They never made illuminas for our cars. One crafty member has adapted civic illuminas and agx's into his 3g (and, subsequently, his car f**kin' TURNS!!). Look up member Zufer--I think he's described his setup on here.

Alex

Thats what I was talking about, if he's gonna put civic suspension in anyways, why not get better shocks and struts.

cardoc33
02-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Currently, there is no easy alternitive for front shocks on our cars. Yes, someone did make an adapter for the civic front, but it was a hassle. I suggested the hp's or gr-2's because it's our only cost effective alternitive. And use a spring rate that wont over power the shock(250lbs=211lbs x 18%). Then, use the thickest sway bar out there, Suspension Techniqes @ 15/16". Ground Control makes excellent adjustable spring perches.
As for the rear, with the adapter I suggested, Illumina's are not possible because the adjuster is at the top of the shock rod. And yes, maybe 200lbs in the rear might be better.

Front drivers handle better with a softer front set-up.

Spending close to $1000.00 bucks for custom shocks(revalved Bilstiens) is out of most peoples reach(is for me). You could do this whole set-up for about $600.00
smackers. Still alot, but better than a grand.
I'm not going to do anything about it, I just bought a '93 teggy for $600.00 bucks. Cherry shape for for 200k miles. I'll put my suspension money into that and give my 3g to my kid who's 15 1/2 and wants to get his permit soon. :)

Legend_master
02-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Well first of all heavy-er front springs will give you under-steer and that will not help with cornering at alln it will only help at top speed. As for the civic struts in the front there is not that much involved in modifying the 88-90 font civic struts to make them fit. Actually they fit with no modification, but if you don't move the perch up on them they will wear them out pretty quickly. Here is my thread about the struts 88-90 civic struts (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48470). As for the rears, I never even thought about extending the rod to make them work, I always thought about trying to extend the bottom. You could get some internally adjustable struts like the konis and then you wouldn't have any problems making the struts work.

bobafett
02-09-2006, 06:29 PM
u are gonna have a ton of work just getting the shocks in, but kyb agx might be a good choice. also i would go with 350+ front and rear spring rates. 250 is pretty soft. i have 250 rear 350 front ground controls, and i would like to go 350/350 or 375 rear 350 front. springs are cheap from ground control... :)

cardoc33
02-10-2006, 09:17 AM
u are gonna have a ton of work just getting the shocks in, but kyb agx might be a good choice. also i would go with 350+ front and rear spring rates. 250 is pretty soft. i have 250 rear 350 front ground controls, and i would like to go 350/350 or 375 rear 350 front. springs are cheap from ground control... :)

What shocks are you running with spring rates like that?

bobafett
02-10-2006, 10:35 AM
with my 250/350 setup, which is what i am currently running i have konis in the front and tokicos in the rear ( i was like 17 and had no $$$ when i did that, i WISH i had bought all 4 konis)... the tokicos, even on 250 lbs springs definetly suck. i mean the car doesnt handle poorly, but i would appreciate a much more firm ride.

i have 1092312983 other things going on with the car right now that is tying up $$$, but i plan on getting some new springs from ground control, and probably retro fitting civic shocks on there, so i can run AGX's or something along those lines, with external adjustability. :)

Strugglebucket
02-10-2006, 04:09 PM
i don't know why you would want the rear suspension that stiff. relative to the front of our car, there's like no weight on the rear. i know you want to tame as much understeer as possible, but you don't want the rear jumping around like a spastic cat.

SQ is the SQUAD
02-12-2006, 02:33 PM
i am so totally lost on suspension