PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me

'A20A3'
02-08-2006, 01:39 PM
I recently pulled the cylinder head off of my Coupe to replace a bad head gasket. I used official Honda gaskets when it was reassembled, proper torque specs, and all the connections have been double-checked. When I turned the key to start it, it cranks, but no gas. The light never comes on when you first turn the key, nothing at all. I've disconnected the gas lines and checked for clogs, and everything is fine. I replaced the main relay...nothing. Replaced the fuel pump...nothing. Still no power to the pump. No gas. What do I do? I need to get my car running as soon as possible so if anyone knows what I should do and where I should start it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Immeraufdemhund
02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
ground wires on the head... that would be my first place of checking. Go over all the wires in your engine bay also. I'm betting it's ground cause i had a similar problem in my 4g accord.

Lester Lugnut
02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Ditto the advise offered in the previous post.

You say there's no power to the fuel pump?

Check your ign. coil. Are all of the wires hooked up. This may not apply to your FI car, but the coil plays a roles in providing power to the fuel pump on carb 3G models.

88Accord-DX
02-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Continuity & resistance checks with a multimeter on grounds & supplied voltage wires. Wiring schematic needed.

87_HaTcH
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
hello harvey its chris, i just checked the grounds that i kno about and they are all connected correctly. but there may be more ground wires i dont kno about.. soo ill keep you posted until then you kno your coupe is in good hands.:)

Honda-Master
02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
I recently pulled the cylinder head off of my Coupe to replace a bad head gasket. I used official Honda gaskets when it was reassembled, proper torque specs, and all the connections have been double-checked. When I turned the key to start it, it cranks, but no gas. The light never comes on when you first turn the key, nothing at all. I've disconnected the gas lines and checked for clogs, and everything is fine. I replaced the main relay...nothing. Replaced the fuel pump...nothing. Still no power to the pump. No gas. What do I do? I need to get my car running as soon as possible so if anyone knows what I should do and where I should start it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

which lite never comes on ?? when you turn the key ??

A20A1
02-08-2006, 07:02 PM
The ground wire from the wire harness between the trans and fuse box... that goes to the thermostat housing.

AccordEpicenter
02-08-2006, 07:36 PM
thermostat ground

Mac
02-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Have you checked fuses? Check fuse #1 (15 a) and fuse #10 (7.5 a) in the dash fuse panel. Also check fuse #1 (10 a) in the under the hood fuse panel.

'A20A3'
02-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Okay. All my fuses are good. Are you guys sure it's the thermo ground? What does it look like and where does it go? Thank you guys for all your help.

Immeraufdemhund
02-11-2006, 06:40 AM
follow your hose to your thermostat, look at all the 10 mm bolts on it and there should be a ground wire attached... if it isn't look all over the place for that wire in the general facility and put it on the thermostat cover.

Honda-Master
02-11-2006, 11:12 AM
disregard all the hoopla on the thermostat ground wire ,,,there is none on a 89 accord,, t-stat on these is located at end of top radiator hose,, people must be thinking of a later model where the main computer ground wire was attached at thermostat housing ..

A20A1
02-11-2006, 12:43 PM
What are you talking about, my 89 LX had a thermostat ground wire.

87_HaTcH
02-12-2006, 01:37 PM
ok i checked the t-stat and from what i can see theres nothin really out of place.. Theres a wire like plug that has a 10 mm fitting but it was plugged in.. Any wire problems? or am i seeing the wrong thing?

'A20A3'
02-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Is it possible that because we didn't re-bolt the wire loom to the intake manifold with the 10mm bolt that's causing the problem? I'm trying to backtrack and remember everything and make sure that it's all good. I wish I could just go outside and check, but unfortunately I'm living in NC now so my car is in the hands of my little brother up north in MD until sometime in March or April. Would the removal of my EGR pipe be causing any of this? Cause I tossed that thing out like old trash...:chainsaw:

A20A1
02-13-2006, 08:47 PM
did you disable the EGR valve?

chappymane
02-13-2006, 10:25 PM
disconnecting ur egr valve will do nothing but keep ur motor from reburning un burnt exaust fumes that are transmitted from ur exaust assembly. this will also throw a light (check engine light). that would not cause ur issue for i have disconnected mine and there is no difference in the running condition of my motor. in the long run this will increase performance but mileage will most likely suffer. ur issue sounds to me like u have a for sure ground problem or fuse or f-ed up wire along the way.

'A20A3'
03-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Okay. I'm back in Maryland and I've checked everything and it's all on point. However I was thinking, and I may have discovered the problem.

Awhile back, me and a friend of mine put a system in his car. For the ground for the amplifier, we pulled up the carpet in his trunk, drilled a screw into the chassis, and grounded it there. All was fine and dandy for about a week or so, and then it all went to shit. The system still worked fine, but electrically, his car went to hell. His turn signals shorted out. The interior dash lights at night were gone. Tag lights? Peace. He eventually regrounded the amp and fixed the wiring and now it's all straight.

I grounded my amp in the same way, but the system hasn't been in there for a long time.

I think I shorted out my fuel pump's ground wire by doing this. Is this possible? I think I should try putting in a new ground to the fuel pump tomorrow...

Any input is greatly appreciated, I really need to figure this out my 3G hasn't been running in months and it's all ready to go.:(

russiankid
03-11-2006, 09:17 PM
try disconnecting that ground wire, and try to start it.

smufguy
03-12-2006, 06:59 AM
did you use a test light/multimeter to get a reading from the fuel pump line? when my pump died, its the only way i could figure out what went wrong.

use a multi meter and see if you get a power reading on Ignition II. when the relay clicks over and the pump fires, you will get a voltage reading up-until the relay clicks off. If you dont get a power reading, then you know its the power side of the wire. If its good, then try to manually run a power wire to the pump and then manually ground the pump and see what happens. if it works, then just use a different manual ground.

'A20A3'
03-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Unfortunatly I don't have access to a multi-meter. I need to know what color the wire is from the pump to the relay, and what color the wire is that goes from the ignition to the relay. It has to be one of those two, or the ground on the pump or the relay. There's no other option. Thank you all so much for your help so far.

smufguy
03-13-2006, 09:05 AM
here are two sections from the Shop manual. As far as the pin outs for the main relay itself. I have to check the electrical section later on for you

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/5082/12504xa.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/6703/12510nd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

'A20A3'
03-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Okay I tried splicing in a new ground for my fuel pump, to no avail. So I guess that means that no current is ever even reaching the pump to begin with.

So Praveen, if I put that jumper wire in the relay what is supposed to happen? Is that yellow wire the wire that runs to the fuel pump?

I have a brand new fuel pump and main relay, so it has to be one of these wires somewhere.

Legend_master
03-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Okay I tried splicing in a new ground for my fuel pump, to no avail. So I guess that means that no current is ever even reaching the pump to begin with.
So Praveen, if I put that jumper wire in the relay what is supposed to happen? Is that yellow wire the wire that runs to the fuel pump?
I have a brand new fuel pump and main relay, so it has to be one of these wires somewhere.

Dude I feel you pain, I am having the same problem. I did a motor swap in my borthers 3gee and a 5-speed convertion at the same time. Now the car just cranks and there is no PGM-fi light and no fuel pump purge when I turn the key. If I wiggle the ECU/fuel pump fuse while the key is i AUX postion the PGMFI light kinda comes on then goes off. Lets figure this out it is driving me crazy.

Legend_master
03-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Well I just figured out the problem, there is a ground wire that comes out of the fuel injector power wire and bolts onto the intake manifold. If that is not bolted down the main relay will not be grounded and the PGM-Fi light will not come on. I attached it and the car started tight up. Also check the alternator ground

smufguy
03-14-2006, 07:12 AM
the jumper wire is supposed to go on the wiring harness, not the relay.

when the key is turned, you should get power in the wiring harness, possibly a white or red wire (i am not positive and i did not have time to go thru the manual). just keep trying and looking for a power source. If any, i bet its just the ignition switch. If you are not getting any power to the pump, and nothing in the wiring harness clip for the main relay. then the culprit is most likey your ignition switch.

'A20A3'
03-14-2006, 12:56 PM
YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone. Legend_Master had the same problem as me. Just found the wire, connected it, and presto chango I got power!!!

I'm going out there now to fill up my radiator and make sure everything's tight before I start her up. I'll be back to let you all know how it went.

Again, THANK YOU ALL!

3GEEZ REPRESENT

'A20A3'
03-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Okay it starts! Finally. However, from sitting so long my alternator pulley has seized. We've tried spraying it with penetrant and lubricant and hitting it with a rubber mallet and so forth, but it won't budge.

Any ideas?

'A20A3'
03-14-2006, 10:36 PM
I went out and bought a can of PB Blaster and doused the entire pulley area and it's still stuck. I spayed a bunch more and I'm gonna try it again in the morning. I'm so sick of all these problems that keep costing me more money. I'm so happy it finally runs though. I'm sure I'll never forget that ground now off of the injectors now.

'A20A3'
03-15-2006, 09:15 AM
It's still stuck. Damn. I'm just gonna take the alternator off and try to unseize it. If I can't get it unseized I'll gladly take my $55 core charge at Autozone and get a new one.

smufguy
03-16-2006, 06:48 AM
once its seized, its done bro. I had that happen to me twice. but both the times, the alternator sat for a long ass time. ONce in the car and the other in the garage. It was just stuck there. Besides, alternators are like real cheap now, with the core exchange, so rather than fixing the stupid one, we might as well get a new/remanufactured one.

'A20A3'
03-19-2006, 10:29 PM
I got it unseized alright. Had a small leak through the bottom of the dizzy, and a little coolant from the thermo housing, but after torqueing them down tighter everything was good. I'm so glad it runs. Sounds so good. I'm glad to hear it running again after so long.

Thanks you all so much for your help and I hope this thread helps someone else with this problem someday.