PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Problem

Spiderldr
02-09-2006, 01:39 AM
So, I got my car all fixed up. Then a coolent leak developed at the radiator on the left top side where the hose connects. I looked at it, and the whole plastic hose connector that the hose fits over is cracked off. Right up to the radiator. It leaks badly, and I dont know what to do. It it serious enough that I would have to buy a new radiator?

DBMaster
02-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Pretty much, but if the radiator is in good shape otherwise a local radiator shop could crimp on a new plastic top tank for about half the price of a new radiator. I bought a decent aftermarket one for $100 delivered almost six years ago.

Lester Lugnut
02-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Seen this movie.

You can buy a quality after-market radiator for the 3G Honda's that's made entirely out of metal. That's what I did.

With annual coolant drain/flush, this metal unit will last for years if you use a 50/50 mix - 1/2 being distilled water; not what comes from the tap.

DBMaster
02-09-2006, 03:06 PM
I used only distilled water and then, later, water from my home R/O system. My OEM radiator was beautifully clean but still developed a crack in the upper tank at the filler neck. I bought an SPI all-metal radiator which developed a leaky solder joint after three years. The shop I use sometimes said that was the brand they liked as well, but they had too many coming back with the same problem. The place I bought it from made good on their lifetime warranty by sending me a new one along with a UPS label to send back the old one. The new one had plastic tanks for the same reason.

With copper or copper/brass core and brass tanks soldered on it seems like you always end up with a solder joint leak eventually, but three years? I have had no issues with the replacement. If I were going with all metal I would stick with one that was all-aluminum only.

From the experience I have had with a Ford and a newer Honda (Odyssey) it seems like the aluminum core/plastic tank radiators stay exceptionally clean inside. I switched to Dexcool about nine years ago and have been very pleased with the results, the best of which is much less frequent coolant changes.

Just goes to show that what Dirty Harry said about opinions was true!

Spiderldr
02-12-2006, 04:15 PM
well, thanks for the info. I took my old radiator and I'm getting a new one soon. I am going to use generic antifreeze 50/50 with water and some water wetter.

ghettogeddy
02-12-2006, 04:23 PM
i just changed mine out for a koyo i had a little crack right behind the top hose outlet of my old one so it was steamin and porin out water like no bodys bussiness. id post pics of the new one but there really small all i had was my cell phone

Honda-Master
02-13-2006, 08:44 PM
So, I got my car all fixed up. Then a coolent leak developed at the radiator on the left top side where the hose connects. I looked at it, and the whole plastic hose connector that the hose fits over is cracked off. Right up to the radiator. It leaks badly, and I dont know what to do. It it serious enough that I would have to buy a new radiator?

the reason that it happens is because the car overheated once or twice before ,and on those plastic radiator tops ,the high heat will bake and crumble the plastic tanks...they wont leak if not disturbed , but as soon as you take the hose off, the nipple will crumble and you cannot put hose back on again.. thus you need a new radiator..