PDA

View Full Version : Two little problems with distributor

maxsideburn
02-10-2006, 12:00 PM
First off the guy at Autozone figured I had the Hitachi dizzie and gave me that rotor. Secondly when I was pulling the cap off one of the screws (bottom one) broke off in the distributor. Any suggestions on how to get this screw out now?

Well I managed to just use one screw to close the cap to the distributor, and the Hitachi rotor was the same dimensions as the TEC, so it's in there right now, is there really any difference between the TEC and Hitachi rotors? Or will my car run better with the actual TEC?

Strugglebucket
02-10-2006, 05:44 PM
you should be able to get the screw out with a small reverse-thread drill bit.

i don't think there's much difference between the rotors. i know that rotors and caps made by honda are a little different from the auto store parts, even for the same distributor.

88Accord-DX
02-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I call it an "easy-out". Just need to drill into the bolt with a small drill bit to fit the easy-out in. I find that hitting the center of the bolt with a punch helps center the drill bit. Might want to spray some PB blaster or WD-40 on the bolt threads to help removing. Worse case scenerio, drill & tap it out.

The firing order is the same, should be ok on the caps.

maxsideburn
02-18-2006, 02:37 PM
where do I find one of these....easy-outs?

88Accord-DX
02-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Sears, Lowes, some auto parts stores.

maxsideburn
02-18-2006, 06:08 PM
so I ask them for "easy-outs"?

88Accord-DX
02-18-2006, 06:18 PM
I beleive the appropriate name is called a "screw & bolt extractor". Either name, someone should know what it is.

Versanick
02-18-2006, 10:45 PM
advance/auto zone around where all the 'auto' sized bolts and small pieces are. they're reverse drill bits, too. extractor kits. 'ez-out' is just a brand of one of them I think.

good luck

88Accord-DX
02-18-2006, 11:10 PM
They are called 3 names & more.

Spiral Easy Out, Screw Extractor, Extractor Screw Set, Bolt Extractor, Stud Extractor.

Here is a pic so you know what to look for.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/images/large/52435_lg.jpg

This is a reverse drill bit.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/62304a.jpg