PDA

View Full Version : 87 FI, What strut bar?

maxsideburn
02-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Ok, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but before anyone asks I've searched every post on this subject without a real answer.

My car is an 87 LXi, and I cannot afford the DC strut bar. I know lots of you guys have modded your own to work, but some people are talking about 88-89 only, or carbed model. I need to know which one is the easiest to mod for my 87 FI model. I saw several people talking about the 92 civic bars, but what's the problem with them? Too short? Bolt holes don't line up? Please I'd really like to order one and get started on the project soon, but I need to know which one to get off of eBay.

In fact why don't we start a list of the easiest to mod strut bars for each year and type of motor so that we can finally put an end to countless threads on this subject?

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-12-2006, 07:11 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35838&page=3 . What was so hard about finding a thread about strut bars I found this in less than 2 mins?? It shows you how to modify a 90-93 accord bar to fit ours. But if your not very good with modifying parts, cutting and welding then its best if you just save up money and buy one.http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/RACTIVE_STRUT_BAR_STBS_SELECT_APPLICATION_p_818.ht ml . This is an ractive one for a little more than $40.

maxsideburn
02-12-2006, 08:00 AM
actually it doesn't show anything, just some people talking about ideas for modifying one.

and as I said before why don't we just post all of this info for the different years and what's do-able here, that way we can stop the constant posts on the subject. Because even though some of those threads gave me an "idea" of what would work, they really didn't confirm anything. I need to know what one is the best to use for the 1987 FI motor. Most threads talk about stuff for either carbed cars or for the 88-89.

Rendon LX-i
02-12-2006, 08:29 AM
get a 90-93 accord strut bar......all the info in the world is in these threads man just gotta read read read....lol

Bglad420
02-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Dont Use 90-93 Strut Bars They Wont Fit!!!!!!!!!!! If You Notice No One Has Finished Either, I Deadended When I Tryed!!!

AccordRacing21
02-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Dont Use 90-93 Strut Bars They Wont Fit!!!!!!!!!!! If You Notice No One Has Finished Either, I Deadended When I Tryed!!!

After I read this I took my 90-93 Aerospeed strut bar out to my car to check it out. Turns out it's not even close to fitting in any direction. It's not tall enough and it's not wide enough. I'm kind of wondering if it's even designed for a 90-93 accord or not? It should be wide enough if it is, shouldn't it?

Bglad420
02-12-2006, 01:32 PM
After I read this I took my 90-93 Aerospeed strut bar out to my car to check it out. Turns out it's not even close to fitting in any direction. It's not tall enough and it's not wide enough. I'm kind of wondering if it's even designed for a 90-93 accord or not? It should be wide enough if it is, shouldn't it?

I had a guy send me two bars, they are WAY too short...I even checked it on other cars, DSM, TEG, 240, way too short for those too......

AccordRacing21
02-12-2006, 02:03 PM
I had a guy send me two bars, they are WAY too short...I even checked it on other cars, DSM, TEG, 240, way too short for those too......

Was yours an aerospeed?

Bglad420
02-12-2006, 02:13 PM
No, I dont know what it was...but he sent me two completley different bars both time, and neither fit, And for the back the bars that I received for that were too short too, so I have brakets done that fit our car for the rear but no bar....So I got ahold of a guy and I used chromoly tubing instead....

Rendon LX-i
02-12-2006, 04:19 PM
yes it does but u have to cut off the ends and relocate them meaning welding the Flange......Remember we got a old ass car and u need to custom alot of stuff...i got lucky and my car came with the DC strut bar...im going to get a 90-93 accord rear strut bar and cut off the flange and relocate it and DONE.....if you u dont want to that just buy the rear and front strut bars from JUSTIN86 he sells em man....goood luck

maxsideburn
02-12-2006, 05:46 PM
well is it true that the 92 civic ends fit with little modification? I really hate to beat a dead horse, but I think we should try to finally give some concrete answers so that this question can stop being asked eh?

Rendon LX-i
02-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I dont know bout the civic but i know for a FACT that the 90-93 accord fits just need to cut off the flange and reweld it man......many members has done it and i saw pics on the search....i spent alot of time on the SEARCH....its usefull

Bglad420
02-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I dont know bout the civic but i know for a FACT that the 90-93 accord fits just need to cut off the flange and reweld it man......many members has done it and i saw pics on the search....i spent alot of time on the SEARCH....its usefull
Oh yeah id thats true why is mine 5 inches too short.....

I have the brakets for the rear allready modded if someones interested......

maxsideburn
02-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Does anyone know what the difference between the 88-89 and the earlier FIs are? Apparently there is some difference since most strut bars are for 88-89 only.

2drSE-i
02-13-2006, 09:26 AM
im 90% sure that there is no difference. they probably just think so because the engines are slightly different. id say buy a ractive one.

maxsideburn
02-13-2006, 03:57 PM
ractive one what? for which car?

Bglad420
02-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Before you buy ANY bar, ask them for the length of the bar, and makesure that it is only a few inches shorter from strut to strut, and makesure it has two bends in it to clear the intake.

2drSE-i
02-13-2006, 08:18 PM
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/RA...N_p_818.ht ml

read...good grief :-P

maxsideburn
02-14-2006, 04:15 AM
geez I just asked for some info thinking SOMEONE should have actually done this mod so far....

I would love to stop asking dumb questions that have been asked a million times before, If I could ever find a real answer to any question, lol. But my questions, and the ones I search for are almost always incomplete answers.

Oh well, guess I'll just forget it.

2drSE-i
02-14-2006, 09:33 AM
here are your options, again. DC Sports (out of price range for you). Ractive, link found twice in this thread alone. Justins custom bars, also found twice. 90-93 accord bars. cut the ends off, reweld. the first three are direct fit, and i dont know what you dont understand about this. here are some links that i found on the first page of searching, by typing in "strut bar"

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49768&highlight=strut+bar
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33333&highlight=strut+bar

now the second page
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48485&highlight=strut+bar (this one is actually very informative, even tho it is an incorrect listing)
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47847&highlight=strut+bar
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41888&highlight=strut+bar
(this one should be short enough for even you to read)

if you need more links than that, you need some serious help.

AccordRacing21
02-14-2006, 10:22 AM
If I were you I would buy the Ractive, Justin's, or make your own. IMO it's easier to fab stuff yourself then to change something that's not made for our cars to fit. Everyone says the 90-93 is easy, but like I said, in my experience (if they even sent me the right bar) it isn't. I now have access to a welder so from now on I'm fabbing everything I can myself.

Bglad420
02-14-2006, 10:41 AM
This is copied from the e-mail I got from the guy that I bought my bar from, he sent me two and neither fit, and they were both different, about 5 inches two short, and no bends to clear the intake.

hi, thank you for your email but i think that we've done all we can here to correct this problem but it looks like there is a problem with your vehicle. for some reason i guess your vehicle is set up so that a strut bar cannot be installed. i am sorry but i think you would understand that we cannot do anything for you anymore. we've tried our best, we even sent you a different brand bar the second time but it looks like its a vehicle problem rather then the part problem. thanks."

AccordRacing21
02-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Where did you buy your bar from? Did he refund you in the end?

Bglad420
02-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I bought it off ebay, I ran into the same problem with the rear, it was like 4" too short, that guy just sent me another bar, but had the same problem, so now I have 2 raer strut bars, that are too short, and as for the front I sent him the first one back, and he sent me the second one, that still wont fit, I e-mailed him back, I haven't tried to get my $$ back yet beings that I just got the 2nd bar a couple days ago. I even sent him pics of the first bar, and told him the problems....we will see what happens, I told him that I need a longer bar, and it needs the bends in it to clear the intake manifold.