PDA

View Full Version : Axle shaft backing out.....

Bglad420
02-12-2006, 12:39 PM
OK so I go out to my car yesterday, and notice a small puddle of fluid under my car. So I'm like FUCK, cuz my car doesn't drip a drop....except the valve cover but never to the ground. So I put my finger in it and notice its oil, fuck time for a valve cover gasket.... Nope, I got to looking a little better, and noticed the drivers axle coming out of the trans about 1/2 inch....so I popped it back in, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem????

onliLX-i
02-15-2006, 01:09 PM
I have never heard of this problem. There is a snap ring at the end of the axle shaft though. If the axle was not pushed all the way in to the tranny at some point it could have wiggled out. Otherwise make sure that ring is still in good condition. Thats all I can think of.

lostforawhile
02-15-2006, 02:31 PM
yea it's eithier something loose in the suspension or it's the clip,most likely the clip,have you recently replaced the axle? the clip needs to replaced every time you remove the axle from the transmission. also I've had problems in the past with axles from autozone and advance having an inferior clip. it's a little bit more narrow in diameter then the one from the dealer,and has a tendency to pop out of the groove in the dif. the original ones are cheap and won't pop loose.

88Accord-DX
02-15-2006, 02:46 PM
C-clip on the axle shaft. There cheap, cost me $3.22 for two from San Leandro Honda.

fraza
02-16-2006, 04:23 AM
yeh i had the exact same thing happen to my car. it would run find but as soo as i put any stress into the gear box, (burnouts ect) the drive shaft would pop out and dump all my oil, after 3 gasket replacements, it turned out that the mechanic the periviouse owner used was a complete idiot and put an auto's driveshaft in, witch is about half an inch shorter.

Vanilla Sky
02-16-2006, 04:16 PM
i had this problem. for me, it was a damaged axle. i gouged 3 grooves into the inner CV cup when i hit a pothole going WAY too fast.