PDA

View Full Version : Who actually has revalved bilsteins?

Accordtheory
02-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Does anyone actually have these? How about with the ground controls?

SteveDX89
02-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I have revalved Bilsteins on the back of my car.

paso100
02-12-2006, 09:14 PM
I got 'em front and back, matched to ST springs. They work great for me.

Accordtheory
02-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I have konis on the front, stock shocks in the back, and I need to get rid of those pieces of shit.

How much of a hassle was it to get the revalved bilsteins?

paso100
02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
After you buy the shocks, you have to send them to Bilstein, either on the West Coast (near San Diego) or back East. You have to tell them what spring rate to match them to. It took them about 1 month to send them back to me. They will give you a printout of your shock performance if you ask. It costs about $70 per shock for this service.
I'm very happy with my setup, but it's the only setup I've used compared to stock. My car doesn't bounce at all, is pretty compliant and rebound is quick. My car feels better at higher speeds than lower speeds. Ride is fairly firm at lower speeds around town, but not uncomfortable.

w261w261
02-13-2006, 07:17 AM
I have revalved Bilsteins, done twice. Check out this thread, my last message was #54. Also, I don't believe you can send the shocks to the Bilstein facility on the East Coast, they have to go to CA. Current price is $65/shock + shipping both ways. If you buy them from Shox.com, Shox will take them down the street to Bilstein, as they're only a block away. Even though I had to experiment and now have an extra pair of Bilsteins (revalved to 100/300, my final pair are 110/340) it was worth it, as the car handles great, with no excess harshness or "pogo-sticking." I keep threatening to sell the 100/300 pair on eBay (they're virtually new), but haven't gotten around to it.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18586

AccordEpicenter
02-13-2006, 05:05 PM
how much would it be for both front and rear pairs new/revalved. Konis are impossible to find and everything else sucks ass it seems. Im sorry to ask such a dumbass question, i myself should probably know the answer to this one

paso100
02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
$379 for 4 shocks plus $260 for revalving, not including shipping = $639 of your hard-earned cash.
Here's the Shox page:
http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxshop/productsdisplay.php

w261w261
02-13-2006, 06:39 PM
In March 2005 I ordered my second pair of the front shocks, and they were $93.00 each from Anderson & Stiele of El Cajon, CA (D/B/A Shox.com). They charged me $75.00 each for the revalve, so they made an extra 10 bucks per shock over what Bilstein charges directly. Shipping was $20.00. I assume the rears would have been about the same price. I can't find the invoice where I ordered the original set of fronts and rears, but you can get a current price from Shox.com.

The Eibach springs in the rear are actually a little softer than stock, so the Bilstein shocks do not need to be revalved back there.

It's amazing what a small difference in damping will do for the ride. Just the change from 100/300 to 110/340 ironed out a small, but annoying extra oscillation when the car hits a bump. Not so much of a big deal, but on a sweeper, you really don't want things unsettled if you can help it. I have a friend with a 2005 Porsche, and he took me for a ride. We went around a higher-speed turn, the car hit a pavement irregularity, and What's This? The car actually didn't settle right down. 80 grand, and they missed on the shock/strut-whatever they have - calibration by a bit. I later read a review of the 2006 Porsche, and the car mag remarked that they got rid of the "pogo stick" effect. This, IMO, is what made the Koni's so nice. Not that the Bilsteins aren't their equal in quality, but the Koni's are (were) adjustable. So you get a certain set of springs, and you get the pogo-stick effect, you just adjust the shocks up a bit. With the Bilsteins, you need the factory to do it, and it costs.

But I can say, if you get the 1" drop Eibachs, and get the revalved Bilsteins to 110/340, you'll be a happy camper, if a poorer one.

Accordtheory
02-14-2006, 12:21 AM
I wonder what valving I should get..I can't afford the trial and error method here though..

paso100
02-14-2006, 12:50 AM
I wonder what valving I should get..I can't afford the trial and error method here though..

Get on the official Bilstein site and call or em Jack French. You need to tell him your spring rate (you should be able to get that from the manufacturer). I'm sure he'd be able to answer any concerns and/or give you info about what you need.

Accordtheory
02-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I might be rollin on cut sprints though..I don't know what the f the spring rates will end up being..ugh..I suppose i should just get the damn ground controls..

AccordEpicenter
02-25-2006, 03:42 PM
cut sprints? Ehh... you know better than that

Accordtheory
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
the sprints are a good rate, just not quite low enough. If they end up being slightly stiffer than the ground controls after being trimmed, that should be ok. Not like cut stock springs. I won't really have to cut much anyway to get the drop I want.

I guess I'm about to call bilstein and see what I can do..

w261w261
05-17-2006, 12:02 PM
I have to say that I was disappointed that Jack French didn't have a better take on what was needed to complement the Eibach Pro-Kits. He said 100/300, and clearly a bit more was needed. My advice would be to err...if you're not exactly sure on the high side. The ride is stiffer, but if you err on the low side, you've got that pogo stick effect, and that really sucks (particularly considering the cost involved).

My advice...find someone who has done what you want to do. Let them do the trial work for you. If you want the Bilstein/Eibach Pro-Kits combo (1" drop), then the correct revalve is 110/340.

bobafett
05-17-2006, 01:26 PM
ebay sleeve coilovers with $100 ground control replacement springs - they will give you any rate you want. :)

Accordtheory
05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Well, I talked to Jack French and he recommended 120 compression 375 rebound for the front and 100/300 for the rear. I haven't done the math myself, but I guess I should be able to if I know what the stock valving is and the % increase in spring stiffness over stock..at least for the rebound settings..